Author Topic: No Postings = Ban?  (Read 5832 times)

Offline acejas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
No Postings = Ban?
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:32:17 PM »
On all the forums I have belonged to over the years, I have never ever come across such a message to say if you dont post your banned! Seriously guys are you for real?
 Well I decide to post about the "auction" and here. How many lurkers do you know on other forums? Thats my rant for the day
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:17:27 PM by acejas »

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: No Postings = Ban?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
On all the forums I have belonged to over the years, I have never ever come across such a message to say if you dont post your banned! Seriously guys are you for real?
 Well I decide to post about the "austcion" and here. How many lurkers do you know on other forums? Thats my rant for the day

What is "austcion"?  !@#

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:40:24 PM »

Where in the message does it say you will be "banned"  !@#

The thought behind this move is because in the early days, we had HEAPS of members join AP that have not logged in since or have never posted.

Quite simply, we wanted to ascertain if these were "fake" accounts. So we sent out a reminder to have these users (if they exist) introduce themselves and hopefully contribute to the community
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

stuba

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »
reads like a ban to me?

Dear xxxx,

Our records indicate that you have not posted on Aussie Pinball since you joined. If you wish to remain a member here, you will need to make a post within the next 2 weeks. After this time, if you still haven't made a post your account will be removed permanently. Sorry.

Go on, make a post, it doesn't take much effort. Maybe just an intro post telling us a bit about yourself and your pins would be great. We would love to hear from you.

Regards,

The Pinball Aussie Style! Team.
http://AP/index.php

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »

A "Ban" would be a action taken against a member for an indiscretion.

The message is simply a "housekeeping" task - the bogus accounts will be deleted. Can't "ban" a user if they have done nothing against the site rules, or if they don't exist.

We were receiving feedback from members that joined up in the first two weeks of the site becoming live. Then they logged in two weeks ago. We have progressed since the early days. Comments like "This site was dead when I joined, but now it is thriving". So we thought it would be a good idea to let people know that we are established, and to remove the "fake" accounts - If they exist.

So far the net result has been the introduction posts of a couple of formation members and some confusion over our intent.

I hope I have cleared this up.

Offline acejas

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »
Ok, so if I had not made a posting and my account was removed permanently, does it mean I can sign up again under the same username?

cheers

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »
Ok, so if I had not made a posting and my account was removed permanently, does it mean I can sign up again under the same username?

cheers

Absolutely..

Now you will ask me - "what's the point of doing this at all"

1 - some of the emails bounced - so they were either fake accounts, or the member's email addy changed (?)
2 - at least two quality pinball people have posted since the email
3 - Several accounts had the same email address, as we had issues with the activation system the site uses (early days)

At no point in time were accounts going to be banned for not posting. From memory (Creech will confirm), there was a filter set to only have the emails sent out to accounts over the formation months of the site.

Offline Geoffh

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
Personally If i received that message I would not interpret it as a ban.

I would just think it was a clearing up of "dead wood" that is not contributing.

This is a great forum and it is what it is because of contributing members. The more members who contribute the better it gets.

I know that there are a lot of people that read these forums to learn about pinballs etc but to learn about what you want is more easily achieved if you ask questions and participate because your problems or queries maybe unique to you and may not be mentioned by anyone else.

Just introducing yourself can generate very informative dialogue and comment from other members.

Lets keep this a great forum and encourage all members to be part of it and not be relegated to the periphery through lack of participation.

and thats my rant for the day

Enjoy the hobby and the people that share your interests

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
This is not a ban. If a member is deleted they can then sign up again - no problem. The purpose of this "cull" (for want of a better word) is to purge the forum of members who have no intention of being active or contributing. It's part of our policy to only have active members and to encourage posting.

To those that are complaining, I see you made some posts or have been posters in the past. So what's your problem? This does not apply to you. Was it that hard to make a post? Really? Come on guys. Do you want to contribute here or not? Membership is a 2 way street. We give you info, you give us info. Get it?

I will not make any more comment on this. It's our policy and we are sticking to it. If you have posted already then you don't need to get your knickers in a knot do you?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
Good move guys, glad some have seen it as a "call to arms" and stepped up with an intro - great idea!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »
Hey Jas, its just an automated way to housekeep. Online messages can seem a bit impersonal sometimes, but reckon this is allgood.
:)

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 04:40:35 PM »
 Well I decide to post about the "auction" and here. How many lurkers do you know on other forums? Thats my rant for the day

I used to be on another Aussie forum and and a year or so ago I didn't log on for a few months nor had I made any posts.  When I tried to log on it showed my account was no longer valid.  I emailed the admin on the site and he informed me that they automatically delete accounts that don't participate for a period of time.  No big deal I just re-joined.  I'm not sure if that is still the policy over there as I removed myself from that forum when I found this great place to hang out. $#$ 
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline acejas

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »
Thanks Strangeways

Appreciate the clarity in your posting and agree with your points. Just the wording of the email and my interpretation. Just seemed a bit harsh at the time but with your explanation - its all good.

To others with regard to 2 way street and what you make of it, what you put in - totally agree BUT im one that sits back until comfortable posting. Some like to post and get totally involved. Me - it takes a few months as I sit back and get a feel for the place . If i dont post and get "culled" its all good I can sign back up :) Problem solved. Apologies for the word "ban"

cheers

Offline morrie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 05:46:32 PM »
Yes i kind of read it the same way
So here is my post just incase  <..>

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth