Author Topic: Slam Tilt issues-Alvin G  (Read 1570 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Slam Tilt issues-Alvin G
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
Hi,

I have a Alvin G soccer-ball 2 player pinball and it keeps slam tilting? now I've removed the plumb bob and also made sure the slam tilt switch on the door is NOT making contact so that's not the problem any ideas? it has been doing other weird stuff like today playing different music with NO commentary wtf but its a real fun game and want to get it going properly, also I have a switch not registering but the coil works when ball search starts I've swapped switches checked wires but cant find what that is? Any help very much appreciated,

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Slam Tilt issues-Alvin G
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
reseat every connector Pete, both in the headbox, and under the playfield. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Make sure also, all the roms on the boards are pushed on hard and havent wriggled loose either. had something similar on my gottlieb freddy. the above fixed it.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
reseat every connector Pete, both in the headbox, and under the playfield. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Make sure also, all the roms on the boards are pushed on hard and havent wriggled loose either. had something similar on my gottlieb freddy. the above fixed it.  ^^^

Thanks Brett but I've done all that and nothing maybe new roms?

Peter

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
Did you have a look for a slam tilt switch on the underside of the playfield as well?
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »
Did you have a look for a slam tilt switch on the underside of the playfield as well?

Yeah I did I looked everywhere but now the sounds playing funny buggers it has a mind of its own.

Peter

Offline tstevens

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 01:27:08 AM »
Pete,

Did it do this again just starting today? When we moved it that slam tilt on the door was far too close for comfort but yeah like Blair said look at the bottom one because i never checked that.

With sounds pull out all connectors on sound board and reseat them on making sure they are 100 percent, Like COT said perhaps do all of them and ensure you get them all as there is plenty of them hidden as its not your normal pinball set up.

Not having any luck are you, I feel bad but it never did any of this to me?? Maybe on that switch not registering as i may not have noticed BUT sound and slam tilts never had those once? Has to be something simple when we moved it......

My Space jam had issues until i found the tinest wire broken off on the bottom of playfeild that fixed all my weird happenings of certain bumpers,Lights and flashers that were not working........Look everywhere and i wil help when i am over next.

Cheers
Troy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:32:35 AM by tstevens »
Troy Stevens
(Cant Live Without My Genie!!)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:11:49 AM »
does the slam tilt happen any time or when a certain target is hit?

could be a switch shorting to ground or a column or row wire shorting to something or a bad ground connection some where.

Is this the double ended soccer ball machine?

if it is and the boards are lying in the bottom of the cab make sure there is no foreign objects on the boards like a bit of metal or something like that (I haven't seen how the boards are mounted in this machine so i may be totally wrong).

The sound problem is more than likely a connector problem, reseat or replace the ribbon cable between the cpu and sound board (again i am not sure of the board configuration so i might be wrong again) 
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
Pete,

Did it do this again just starting today? When we moved it that slam tilt on the door was far too close for comfort but yeah like Blair said look at the bottom one because i never checked that.

With sounds pull out all connectors on sound board and reseat them on making sure they are 100 percent, Like COT said perhaps do all of them and ensure you get them all as there is plenty of them hidden as its not your normal pinball set up.

Not having any luck are you, I feel bad but it never did any of this to me?? Maybe on that switch not registering as i may not have noticed BUT sound and slam tilts never had those once? Has to be something simple when we moved it......

My Space jam had issues until i found the tinest wire broken off on the bottom of playfeild that fixed all my weird happenings of certain bumpers,Lights and flashers that were not working........Look everywhere and i wil help when i am over next.

Cheers
Troy

Hey Troy don't feel bad its pinball anything can happen I'll sort it out and plus the game is awesome fun so its worth a headache now and again ^^^ I didn't see the bottom one so I'll check it again and reseat all connectors no dramas.

Peter

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »
does the slam tilt happen any time or when a certain target is hit?

could be a switch shorting to ground or a column or row wire shorting to something or a bad ground connection some where.

Is this the double ended soccer ball machine?

if it is and the boards are lying in the bottom of the cab make sure there is no foreign objects on the boards like a bit of metal or something like that (I haven't seen how the boards are mounted in this machine so i may be totally wrong).

The sound problem is more than likely a connector problem, reseat or replace the ribbon cable between the cpu and sound board (again i am not sure of the board configuration so i might be wrong again)  

Andrew I haven't noticed any particular switch that makes it slam tilt I think its just random so I'll look for another tilt switch, I got the normal plumb one and coin door one but I would have thought there'd be one for player 2 up there end? Your right the boards are on the bottom letting all sorts of crap drop on them I need a air hose don't I to blast them clean but I'll look for any objects and remove them, there is a very long ribbon cable not sure where it goes but I'll check maybe to scores. The 3 switch's that don't work are close and on the same side but do have different color wires but I reckon if I can find the problem they will all probably work hopefully but today I'll have another close look and report back thanks all.

Peter

**UPDATE** turned game on today and sounds back including commentary played 2 games no worries but during 3rd game it reset or went to game over and attract mode??
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:00:09 AM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
if it's just resting it could be anything from a I.C. that needs to be reseated to a problem with the power supply or a bad connection.
you will need to unplug and visually inspect each of the larger plugs (I.E. not the ribbon cables) for heat damage. you will also need to do some tests with the multimeter to find out if it is a low 5 volt issue.

If it is a slam tilt then thats a whole different scenario, try triggering the slam tilt with the slam tilt switch and see if it just resets or if it gives you some indication that the slam tilt has been triggered.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »
if it's just resting it could be anything from a I.C. that needs to be reseated to a problem with the power supply or a bad connection.
you will need to unplug and visually inspect each of the larger plugs (I.E. not the ribbon cables) for heat damage. you will also need to do some tests with the multimeter to find out if it is a low 5 volt issue.

If it is a slam tilt then thats a whole different scenario, try triggering the slam tilt with the slam tilt switch and see if it just resets or if it gives you some indication that the slam tilt has been triggered.

OK I reseated all connectors including power supply high voltage ones and managed to blow a 5 amp fuse which i replaced and cleaned boards and pushed chips in the only ribbon cable is for scoring the game played OK for 2 games so i'll monitor it but the dodgy switch still doesn't work :( when i trigger slam tilt in door it just stops game doesn't reset and there's only 2 tilt switch's not 3 so all good there. May need to wait for someone to come over who knows how to test for volt issues me I'm not that good  #@#

Peter

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:00:10 AM »
no probs,

if you have a manual for it email me a scan of the switch matrix and let me know which switches are not working and i will see if i can point you in the right direction.

If it is resetting and not just stopping like the slam tilt switch does it may be a low voltage problem or something related to the 3 switches that are not working (which I doubt but any thing is possible)

it could also be a Faulty I.C. socket causing the reset problem or an I.C. that needs reseating

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
acid damaged boards can cause these problems

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
Had a win today Troy come over and had a look and managed to find a broken wire so now the faulty switch works which I'm wrapped about and the screen was saying "battery low" could that cause reset and slam Tilt issues? I'll replace the battery and see how she goes

Peter

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:47 AM »
I have never seen a flat battery cause these problems. the last alvin.g I worked on had a lithium button style battery does yours have that type of battery (just curios).
just check if it has leaked as mentioned.

If that broken wire was touching any of the metal in the machine or another wire that could be the cause of your reset and slam tilt issues.

keep going mate, you'll get there