Author Topic: Would Anyone Buy A Retro Looking New Pinball Machine?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
They are using predominantly Williams parts on WOZ aren't they?  Backs up Mike's notion that things have relaxed or at least they can be approached.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
That is what I was thinking.  The parts aren't really any different to what is available today meaning minimal R&D on new toys and less cost overall you'd think.

This is exactly where the wheels have fallen off in the recent past with certain 'rights holders' putting the kybosh on any new concept or machine using 'off the shelf' (insert patented) parts. I was certainly told, in no uncertain terms, not to even dream about using flipper asemblies, drop targets etc etc etc. by one 'rights holder' because if I did I would never get to sell even one machine!

I believe this situation is far more relaxed recently.

Most of all that was hogwash anyway. I think anything before 1978 was ALWAYS fine to reproduce - as in generic parts such as flipper assemblies. No proof was ever supplied with the FAKE C&D emails  !!@
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
They are using predominantly Williams parts on WOZ aren't they?  Backs up Mike's notion that things have relaxed or at least they can be approached.

I'm pretty sure Jack and Rick (  one of the'rights holders' ) have a deal to allows Jack to use  a lot of WMS parts
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline rocky_pinball

• Forum Posts:
  • ROOOOOOOOOOOOOCCKKKYYYYY BAAAAAAAABBBBOA
I would deffs buy one of the new "old" pinnies, i think its a great idea, especially if its an ss, love it!

Offline spook

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane, QLD
I think an SS remake could be done, or the style followed. If decent themes and licenses can be found, it would be a winner. Imagine an modern day Fathom, Paragon, Black Knight, Flash, Haunted House, Black Hole, Meteor and Galaxy !

+1 .... that would certainly get my interest!
Wanted: Another Williams Flash

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
I would love something done like that of a game like fathom that just dont come up very often 

And i love the idea of having games that you can just tun on and play but are nto a huge dmd fan.  Thats why my strikes and spares has brand new Altek boards throughout and new rottendog displays.  My gorgar has all new Rottendog boards and display all i need to do i repin every plug like i id with Strikes and should be good for some time (Fingers crossed)

Offline blue95

• Forum Posts:
  • Hunter Valley
Just re-do Fathom or Haunted House at a decent price and they would sell

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I have just seen a picture of an original KoD sitting next to the remake KoD

AHGGGGG, mine eyes
Has modern coindoor, DMD style cabinet (the backbox is now 10cm taller), wrong plunger housing, credit button in cabinet

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I reckon this is a great idea.

If they could make exactly the same machine, but using new technology, it would be a blast for those who want a BNIB machine that they played in their youth. I would put my hand up for a brand new 1978 Phoenix made by Williams. That title isnt as sought after as some of the other 70's/80's stuff, but the colours when new are magnificent. The only way these machines would get made, to keep the costs down is to get someone like Mike(homepin) on board with his excellent China/production connections.

Imagine getting a brand new in box 70's machine. That would be magnificent. !  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
a retro pin is still going to cost more than most people will want to spend on an old game
Plyfield . Cabinet. Wireing . Lamps . Switches. Plastics.......
Other than no ramps, not much cost savings

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
some one posted that game a while back that looked retro as far as layout but had, al lthe mod cons of a new machine, like optical roll overs, leds and looked really cool, think it was a prototype of some kind. only thing is an old style game would be wanted by people already in pinball, wouldn't really appeal to newbies and wouldnt be a big attraction for getting new people into pinball or venders wanting to spend the money on a simple machine to have them sited, it would be a little bit of a step back over all after the success of acda machine, but if it was a limited run sort of anniversary style machine for collectors that could be good

but saying that retro is in fashion atm.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:02:04 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline rocky_pinball

• Forum Posts:
  • ROOOOOOOOOOOOOCCKKKYYYYY BAAAAAAAABBBBOA
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/newcanasta/index.html

Is this the game you were taking about?

some one posted that game a while back that looked retro as far as layout but had, al lthe mod cons of a new machine, like optical roll overs, leds and looked really cool, think it was a prototype of some kind. only thing is an old style game would be wanted by people already in pinball, wouldn't really appeal to newbies and wouldnt be a big attraction for getting new people into pinball or venders wanting to spend the money on a simple machine to have them sited, it would be a little bit of a step back over all after the success of acda machine, but if it was a limited run sort of anniversary style machine for collectors that could be good

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/newcanasta/index.html

Is this the game you were taking about?

thats it, playfield wise that looks great, cant say i like the theme, but thats like a oldschool style playfield but with cool mods to make it interesting

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
Re: Would Anyone Buy A Retro Looking New Pinball Machine?
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
There is an interesting article in the latest PGJ about the King Of Diamonds remake. Since Stern pulled out of the project there are now lots of original Gottlieb parts used. I found it a very interesting read and I am looking forward to seeing more of it and possibly even more games being done, they do refer to the project as "our first game". Price dependant I'd look at buying a new old game. Would you pay $4k for a new in box Eldorado?

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Would Anyone Buy A Retro Looking New Pinball Machine?
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 05:54:07 PM »
I think there are plenty of guys out there that love the 70's and 80's machine but get a bit scared by all the gizmos and gadgets on DMD machines.  Something like a late 70's Bally machine is very easy to strip down and clean compared to a DMD machine and the artwork is second to none.

The boardsets are already out there e.g. Alltek, Pascal, Rottendog and the like.  Produce a machine using these or similar boards with a sweet looking backglass (not translite) and playfield and I reckon you'd sell enough units to make it worthwhile.
Addicted to pins.