Author Topic: Limited edition VS Premium edition  (Read 505 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Limited edition VS Premium edition
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »
As we have all seen, Sterns current business model is to make a standard model pinball machine and a Limited edition that has more ‘bling’

The lure for the home collector is to get in quick before they sell out

But you have to sign up with just a descrlption, the pictures are seeming to come after all the games have been pre-sold

I would have liked to have bought a Spiderman Black,
If I had the money, the special version of ‘Tron’ looks OK

Personally I would like Stern to re-run these special games if there is a market for them

Question for the LE buyers, ‘would you still pay top dollar for the special edition if it was not limited in number?’
Or is ‘Rare’ special to you?

Pete

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Limited edition VS Premium edition
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »
Good topic Pete

I liked the Tron LE myself but have never purchased any LE machines though was tempted when I heard about the Transformers. Personally I didn't like the fact of paying a deposit on a machine with no photos, limited info and it was non refundable deposit which was a bugger if I didn't like it so didn't do it for that reason alone. I personally like what Jersey Jack is doing by teasing people with the LE straight up and then from there you know some of the bling will be lost once the LE's sell out.

With AC/DC, it would have been good to see the whole range available for sale so you can select up front instead of buying based on the "hype of hopes" - better graphics, under playfield etc.

Even though I played the Tron LE in flesh I don't think I could fork out the big dollars - even if it was re-released. But it is smart business keeping that sort of mod with the special lit ramps and lighting effects control system just for the LE as that can only be released by Stern for those machines keeping that value up there but I am sure someone will do an aftermarket mod kits for these items in the future.

Sorry I don't quite fit into the category to give the opinion you wanted but my thoughts anyway.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline rocky_pinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • ROOOOOOOOOOOOOCCKKKYYYYY BAAAAAAAABBBBOA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
I also do not have a LE machine, but in my oppinion i would never buy something without seeing it first, and maybe having a game on it.

In my financial situation i cant afford to be paying down a deposit onto something i have never seen much less a non refundable deposit !

If they were to be re-run, given the opportunaty to have a few games on it i would strongly consierd buying one because i have seen it, and i have had a few games

I may be the only one who thinks like that, but thats the way i see it

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »
We're already hearing the windgers about a possible ACDC LE re runs by Stern. In the end, it's these very same cash up'd collectors that are buying NIB and Stern has got them by the balls!
Let them waste there money I say and non refundable...absolute crazy!

SC.

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:29:59 PM »
Its like everything in life, rare and exclusive is King.  What makes things in life more valuable and exclusive.?  Low production runs, simple.

XY / XY GT / XY GTHO

Lets then add a South African XY Fairmont to the mix, identicle to the XY GT but an export model and worth only half as much.  Why.?  Because it doesnt have the 'GT Badge'.  Its not as exclusive.

If Stern had released the AC/DC LE* with the * meaning subject to re-release then people might have held onto their dollars and not rushed out to buy 1 of 300 and 1 of 200.  If I buy based on 1 of XXX then I certainly want my purchase to remain 1 of XXX, not one of XXX plus a re-release of XXX. Similarly, If Stern had released the AC/DC LE* with the * meaning subject to re-release then they mightn't have sold as many as quickly as they did for as much as they did, but they might sell more long term not upsetting the diehard collectors and still produced an excellent (apparently) unbastardised product.

At the end of the day GS is a business man and he'll do what ever he can to keep his investors happy, but he should never loose sight of his biggest investors - the pinball consumers.

Not wanting to steer off topic too much, but its relevant to Petes original post, I think.

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »

Question for the LE buyers, ‘would you still pay top dollar for the special edition if it was not limited in number?’

Pete

only if was exactly the same

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
Pete I think ACDC is (will be) the first Stern game to have a Premium vs LE models

as its ACDC  I went for the LE .........(and only because its ACDC)

but if the future releases from Stern have a Premium (unlimited #) Vs a LE
then I would wait until I played one and buy the premium if I liked it 

I do like the idea of a game (premium) that has all the features of a LE but you save by not getting the eye candy

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
Stern is looking at doing re-runs of some machines, and possibly LE models. The best way to make this happen is to contact a STERN distributor, and say u want a XYZ and ask him to speak directly with Gary Stern. I am told that if Gary has the orders on his desk, and people pressuring to have a certain batch redone, if it makes Gary money he will look at it. Stern now hoes the ability to redo short runs etc.

Stern is listening to its dealers, and the dealers are asking for more LE models to be made for various titles. Gary Stern can only go forward if he has the orders on his desk via a Stern agent. I think u will find the Premium model of the AC/DC pin will be a great sucess. The artwork on the 2 x LE models will be the only thing seperating them from the Premium gameplay. Also, it is definately on the cards for a another LE release, probably being a same as the original 200 and 300 LE's.

I think with any release title from now on, u place a deposit dowm, the machine arrives, and if u dont like it you pull your deposit, its the only way to secure a LE Avatar, or TRON Le, etc etc. That way, with a quick deposit, u then get included, versus missing out. But you can always cancel later if u dont like it. It is a bit messy this way at the moment, but the Stern pins are now becoming better and better so i dont thinkl anyone will be dissapointed with a LE modelk if thats what u have the coin for. Its a hard call, but demand for anything LE is so great. 
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
I would think if Stern re-release LE's  that have already been (limited) done  then I think the demand for LE's will so down,
at the end of the day I think most people who buy a LE are buying something special and are willing/happy to pay that bit more for it, if it becomes a on demand item,   just buy a premium and save the $$$ difference

now if your saying they may do a LE run of older Stern games that have not had a LE version before
like Potc or TDK FG Tspp etc then that would probably be a winner for them.

either way Stern seem to be adjusting there business model to find a happy medium  which is great for the buyer
I hated the whole pro/ LE idea, by adding a premium model it re opens the door to people who stopped buying Sterns.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »

Pete

Yes i would still by the special edition, but i would be waiting to play it first,just to make sure i like it as I would be able to purchase it any time.

Now

If it was a LE, with limited number produce i would be putting a deposits down straight away to lock it in.Only if I thought i would like it.

I thought that when you say its a limited edition, with a limited numbers produce, it should stay that way, and if not, dont call it a LE then. And make sure that everyone no that before they purchuse one.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:44:55 PM by wonder »
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 12:59:44 PM »

Pete

Yes i would still by the special edition, but i would be waiting to play it first,just to make sure i like it as I would be able to purchase it any time.

Now

If it was a LE, with limited number produce i would be putting a deposits down straight away to lock it in.Only if I thought i would like it.

I thought that when you say its a limited edition with a limited numbers produce it should stay that way, and if not, dont call it a LE then and make sure that everyone no that before they purchuse one.

+1
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Richyrich

• Forum Posts:
  • Mansfield, VIC.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 06:12:41 PM »
could not agree more,Wonder

Spot on

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
Heres how I see the LE situation right now.

For arguments sake, I would like to purchase a Tron LE, Avatar LE, AC/DC LE etc BUT none are available. If Stern does another short run of say 25 units, or 50 units of each, everyone who missed out is happy. If the original run was say 200 LE's, it aint going to matter if the total now goes to 250. It will make no difference to the LE original owners. If anything, the more people who own and like a LE, the more people see and play such a great title, thus making that title well known and liked for resale value.

As it is, u have to buy a second hand LE if u want one, and I would rather buy a BNIB LE instead. If the original LE run was 200, and they added another 300, well I could see oversupply etc, so thats not good for resale, but a small fraction being made again in another LE run is good for the hobby. I think i said before, that if anyone thinks there shld be no more LE's made of a title, give yours up, then try n buy one and u will then feel like alot of the people who missed out. Undersupply is just as bad as over-supply. The short re-runs are a great step in the right direction IMO.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »

For arguments sake, I would like to purchase a Tron LE, Avatar LE, AC/DC LE etc BUT none are available. If Stern does another short run of say 25 units, or 50 units of each, everyone who missed out is happy. If the original run was say 200 LE's, it aint going to matter if the total now goes to 250. It will make no difference to the LE original owners. If anything, the more people who own and like a LE, the more people see and play such a great title, thus making that title well known and liked for resale value.

As it is, u have to buy a second hand LE if u want one, and I would rather buy a BNIB LE instead. If the original LE run was 200, and they added another 300, well I could see oversupply etc, so thats not good for resale, but a small fraction being made again in another LE run is good for the hobby. I think i said before, that if anyone thinks there shld be no more LE's made of a title, give yours up, then try n buy one and u will then feel like alot of the people who missed out. Undersupply is just as bad as over-supply. The short re-runs are a great step in the right direction IMO.

I see where you are coming from Brett but I think it defeats the purpose of calling the first batch LE's if there is every intention of producing more.  Buyers will become sceptical in the future and will more than likely hold off, I know I would, if there colelctible item becomes less collectible because there are more available.  To be fair and true to their customers, any re-run of "LE" machines should be slightly different to the original run.  That means that the original is always going to be that....i.e. the 1st run and the most collectible.  i think you would find there would be guys out there who are cashed up and would feel the need to buy a slightly different LE machine to complete the "set". 

Why not produce LE runs of the song names, we have the 2 so far, create another one or two LE machines with something slightly different that relates to or highlights that song.  If they sell out, consider a small run of others.  It's like being caught up in an auction, people go nuts when there is a genuine LE run of something.

When it is all said and done,  I would be upset if I bought something that was sold as a LE model only to find that it wasn't so limited afterall.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »

So Brett have you rung Bruce at AMD and upgraded your acdc pro to a Premium????????