Author Topic: Limited edition VS Premium edition  (Read 507 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Limited edition VS Premium edition
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »
Heres how I see the LE situation right now.

For arguments sake, I would like to purchase a Tron LE, Avatar LE, AC/DC LE etc BUT none are available. If Stern does another short run of say 25 units, or 50 units of each, everyone who missed out is happy. If the original run was say 200 LE's, it aint going to matter if the total now goes to 250. It will make no difference to the LE original owners. If anything, the more people who own and like a LE, the more people see and play such a great title, thus making that title well known and liked for resale value.

As it is, u have to buy a second hand LE if u want one, and I would rather buy a BNIB LE instead. If the original LE run was 200, and they added another 300, well I could see oversupply etc, so thats not good for resale, but a small fraction being made again in another LE run is good for the hobby. I think i said before, that if anyone thinks there shld be no more LE's made of a title, give yours up, then try n buy one and u will then feel like alot of the people who missed out. Undersupply is just as bad as over-supply. The short re-runs are a great step in the right direction IMO.

I see where you are coming from Brett but I think it defeats the purpose of calling the first batch LE's if there is every intention of producing more.  Buyers will become sceptical in the future and will more than likely hold off, I know I would, if there colelctible item becomes less collectible because there are more available.  To be fair and true to their customers, any re-run of "LE" machines should be slightly different to the original run.  That means that the original is always going to be that....i.e. the 1st run and the most collectible.  i think you would find there would be guys out there who are cashed up and would feel the need to buy a slightly different LE machine to complete the "set". 

Why not produce LE runs of the song names, we have the 2 so far, create another one or two LE machines with something slightly different that relates to or highlights that song.  If they sell out, consider a small run of others.  It's like being caught up in an auction, people go nuts when there is a genuine LE run of something.

When it is all said and done,  I would be upset if I bought something that was sold as a LE model only to find that it wasn't so limited afterall.

Yeah, have to agree there. LE is and should be LE ie a set number at the start. If they want to produce another type of LE later it wouldn't hurt as much.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
I forgot to answer a question Greg asked me, which was "would u or did u upgrade your AC/DC Pro with Bruce from AMD, and the answer is "NO" because I wanted a very fast game and the AC/DC Pro will be the fastest of the 4 models I believe due to static/fixed stand up targets. The audio is what makes the AC/DC pinny to me, so i get what I want for $5950 plus shaker motor, plus delivery to Brisbane. I didnt see the need to spend extra $ on a LE cause I put that to a Transformers Pro.

BUT, if the LE Back in Black, or Let there Be Rock was an absolute barn stormer, I might score one later, NIB held by a dealer, or by someone who bought 2 and then sells the second one etc, or if Stern did another 30 only LE, or 50 only LE, I could go that way.

I dont think it would be a big deal if Stern did a another LE run, adding only say 10 percent to the total LE market. If people knew, that Stern did a re-release of a LE and it only ever went up by 10 percent more ONLY, to help those that missed out, and it was identical in every way, the original buyers would have nothing really to complain about. 10 percent, big deal.

OR factor this in, next time, Stern will do a release of 600 LE, and then say 400 LE, (instead of the 300 and 200)    !@#   is that worse having too many LE models avail (like Transformers LE which is maybe overstocked in the USA everywhere, or do u just do a smaller run, with a very very very small add on. I reckon the later is better, because if AMD has 20 LE's of both persuasions sitting there in Sydney of the AC/DC LE, thats alot worse than another small run of LE that resells overnight and that s it, 10 percent increase only ever. What do u guys think about that scenairio ?. I am not right or wrong either way...its just a food for thought question ?  !@#

over-supply next time of LE to cover Sterns bum, or a smaller increase added later only at a very very small percentage like I said.  oversupply equals bad resale, too little plus a smaller re-run equals still very high LE resale. just like Avatar LE or say Tron LE. still getting very very high resale, but no-one can buy one. Its all a win win or lose lose scenairio. friggin hard balancing act isnt it ?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:49:52 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
Releasing more units of a LE will piss off a lot of people,myself included. ACDC was advertised with a LE of LIMITED NUMBERS and I could justify the hefty NIB price tag. Releasing more LE's will be due to greed of Stern and I would personally feel cheated.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
Releasing more units of a LE will piss off a lot of people,myself included. ACDC was advertised with a LE of LIMITED NUMBERS and I could justify the hefty NIB price tag. Releasing more LE's will be due to greed of Stern and I would personally feel cheated.

+ 1

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »

for Stern it should be about sales
If it wiil sell more gsmes ,then more power to Stern

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »

I agree 100%. "LE" = "Limited Edition", so in definition, Stern should not release any more than is stated in the initial production run.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »

I agree 100%. "LE" = "Limited Edition", so in definition, Stern should not release any more than is stated in the initial production run.

Absolutely it would be disrespectful of the original purchasers to open their limited edition one of X number just as a cash grab after they sell out quickly.
Even adding a different model LE after the inital runs is rude, whats next a Razors edge LE, then a High Voltage LE....

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
I am completely of the other way of thinking on this one. But we are all right, its only a mental exercise for the fun of it anyway.
Small LE runs mean bigger prices for everyone and anyone everytime there is a LE run made for a new Stern release, and thats no good for anybody. Surely 10 percent aint going to hurt. Anyway, lets just hope the next Stern LE release covers its bum better with more room to move, with something like an initial run of say 300, with a "perhaps" second LE run later of an additional 200 units if sales demand suits. No one can complain that way and then EVERYONE wins.

I am still dying to see what Stern has up next for the next 2 or 3 titles. It used to be of little care what Stern was bringing out next, but I think thesedays, it has changed ALOT and like me, everybody so to speak is glued to their chair waiting in anticipation. Bring on the next few titles. Woo Hoo.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
Limited Edition is just that limited

its just that simple

Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »
Easiest way is if Stern decide to make more LE's they just create another style of LE which keeps everyone else happy, and lets the new people wanting to get the 3rd version of a LE get something original and Stern get there $, problem solved.  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »
Easiest way is if Stern decide to make more LE's they just create another style of LE which keeps everyone else happy, and lets the new people wanting to get the 3rd version of a LE get something original and Stern get there $, problem solved.  ^^^

what happens if the next LE version, because its made different, what happens if it turns out to be better, then alot pissed people with the first LE versions.  !@#

they just need to release more LE's up front. the Avatar LE and Tron LE numbers were also far far far too low.  @.@

I think u guys are right, the only way is to keep it simple, and just keep to the set agreed/public advertised numbers, otherwise all hell breaks loose.
just watch how many extra people will desperastely want a LE BIB or LE LTBRock when those babies hit peoples homes. It will be a stampede to find just one still sitting somewhere for sale.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 07:13:24 AM »

what happens if the next LE version, because its made different, what happens if it turns out to be better, then alot pissed people with the first LE versions.  !@#

they just need to release more LE's up front. the Avatar LE and Tron LE numbers were also far far far too low.  @.@

I think u guys are right, the only way is to keep it simple, and just keep to the set agreed/public advertised numbers, otherwise all hell breaks loose.
just watch how many extra people will desperastely want a LE BIB or LE LTBRock when those babies hit peoples homes. It will be a stampede to find just one still sitting somewhere for sale.

People are already coughing up $ now without seeing what a machine looks like before images have been released, and some after they saw the BG images. So already you may have pissed people if they like the other one. The ideal is give a chance to those who missed out, it comes down to personal taste anyway.

Limited - is just that limited, he who hesitates may miss out....
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts