Author Topic: Meteor Drop Target springs  (Read 370 times)

Offline kmhamel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Meteor Drop Target springs
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »
I am in the process of finishing the restore on a Stern Meteor. After replacing the drop targets I noticed that a couple of the three bank targets don't latch properly and drop down after a reset. the drop down is random, they seem to come up high enough to latch and do half the time. I noticed that when they don't latch, the targets come up at a slight angle. Could this be due to old springs? If so, what are the best replacement springs for this model?

I had this problem with the "METEOR" drop targets. It was due to the ware on the target base shaft. Whe I replaced the shaft with a newly turned shaft, they worked like new. There is very little ware on the three bank target shaft, so can't be the same cause.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Meteor Drop Target springs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »
I am in the process of finishing the restore on a Stern Meteor. After replacing the drop targets I noticed that a couple of the three bank targets don't latch properly and drop down after a reset. the drop down is random, they seem to come up high enough to latch and do half the time. I noticed that when they don't latch, the targets come up at a slight angle. Could this be due to old springs? If so, what are the best replacement springs for this model?

I had this problem with the "METEOR" drop targets. It was due to the ware on the target base shaft. Whe I replaced the shaft with a newly turned shaft, they worked like new. There is very little ware on the three bank target shaft, so can't be the same cause.

If you do replace the springs, make sure they aren't too strong.
Mine had shortened springs when I got it and I had trouble with targets snapping at the spring mounting point.
From memory I think the standard springs are about 40mm long

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »

Remove the springs from one of the other working target banks and compare. Even as a test, swap them over and see how you go.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline kmhamel

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
swaped the springs from a bank that works all the time. Same problem, random drop. Must not be the springs.

1) not the springs
2) not the base shaft (very little ware)
3) solenoid seems to be pulling to the stop

anything else to check?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »

The top drop target bank has a small coil for each target that drops each corresponding letter "METEOR". I just want to rule out the fact that at the end of each ball, the target bank resets and then drops the targets that were dropped on the previous ball. If you play a 4 player game, the dropped targets are remembered for each player. This may seem like random drops, but they are not.

I rebuilt the drop target assemblies on my Meteor during the restore. Maybe consider this for the next step if the problem is not related to the above ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline kmhamel

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »

The top drop target bank has a small coil for each target that drops each corresponding letter "METEOR". I just want to rule out the fact that at the end of each ball, the target bank resets and then drops the targets that were dropped on the previous ball. If you play a 4 player game, the dropped targets are remembered for each player. This may seem like random drops, but they are not.

I rebuilt the drop target assemblies on my Meteor during the restore. Maybe consider this for the next step if the problem is not related to the above ?

Yes this assembly works.

I also had to disasemble this assembly. I found that the rod that holds the base of the target levers had slots cut into it from waring. It was less than a mm but enough that the solenoid would not push all the targets into place. I made a new rod on the lathe and now it works great.

The ones i am now haveing trouble with are the Number targets "1" and "2". I was thinking last night and thought that maybe it's just plane friction. Since the targets are new I am going to add a little graphite to the pins that go through the target base and see what happens.

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »
2 things I have found that cause this annoying problem.  First is to set the allen head bolts that push the reset bar so the far end (away from the solenoid) is slightly higher than the solenenoid end.  This makes sure all the targets lift above the lip sufficiently to lock.  Secondly sometimes hooking the spring on the other way around can sometimes make a difference! Seems sometimes the spring is 'twisting' the target and that can make it stick.

Offline kmhamel

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »
2 things I have found that cause this annoying problem.  First is to set the allen head bolts that push the reset bar so the far end (away from the solenoid) is slightly higher than the solenenoid end.  This makes sure all the targets lift above the lip sufficiently to lock.  Secondly sometimes hooking the spring on the other way around can sometimes make a difference! Seems sometimes the spring is 'twisting' the target and that can make it stick.

Worked like a charm, Loosened the far end, gave it a twist and tightened down. I would never have thought of doing this.  $#$

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:49:40 AM »
Well, learn something new everyday dont ya!!

I too have this problem on my Meteor and recently got new springs ( haven't fitted em yet ) in the hope that they would cure the problem. Now I feel quite confident I can fix the problem.

Ta for that.