Author Topic: Cocktail Table  (Read 637 times)

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Cocktail Table
« on: February 11, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
Guys
What do you reckon about this auction:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230740943933?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

Any comments appreciated.. leading bidder only has history on this item.........

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Cocktail Table
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »

Looks very tidy to me - a lot of effort has gone into it.

$850 - $1000
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 06:48:29 PM »
Looks nice that's how I painted my cocktails legs in silver cheaper than chrome ^^^ love mine and gee there hard to find now and there must have been thousands in there heyday?

Peter

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
Classic Taito table, these tables compliment any pinny collection, I have one & will never sell, running 1942 game board at the moment. 
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
Classic Taito table, these tables compliment any pinny collection, I have one & will never sell, running 1942 game board at the moment. 

Spot on I love mine it'll never leave.

Peter

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »
I've restored a couple of these and this one looks to be in nice condition.  My only gripe with this style of cab is the playing position, its just so not ergonomic or comfortable.  Plus it only has a 14" monitor. I'd be looking for horizontal control panels and a 20" screen.  

$650 tops IMO
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:19:25 PM by roundball »

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
Hi Roundball - I agree re the screen size, but then it would not be an original 1970's cocktail like we played as kids

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
Disagree. I have a nice original 20" taito table, and maybe check out the Hankins too.  Generally the Hankins are more expensive, however the 20" Taitos are rare, but they are out there.

Its a very clean machine, have a stab, and you might snag yourself a nice table. Just remember though, the ergonomics are shocking.!

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »
Disagree. I have a nice original 20" taito table, and maybe check out the Hankins too.  Generally the Hankins are more expensive, however the 20" Taitos are rare, but they are out there.

Its a very clean machine, have a stab, and you might snag yourself a nice table. Just remember though, the ergonomics are shocking.!

Your right with the ergonomics *%* fast forward  30 years and another 50kg or 60kg and 2 feet in height and then playing a table looks "wrong" especially with a mate the other side :lol

Peter

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:23:02 PM »
Geez - you are right there.  I did not think about the RSI I'd get.  How much more and the Hankin's?  Were they Aussie made?  Where do you get these ones from??

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 11:33:49 PM »
Hankin are as Aussie as Koalas are grey..

They are out there (on ebay even), but expect to pay a premium. 

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 01:03:06 AM »
just for interest. I could have sold a dozen of the 1978 cocktail cabinets I listed. I had a dozen AP members all jump at mine, and I had offers up to $750 with people wanting it bad. Even had 3 neighbours want one, needed to clone my one for sure. Maybe thats a good business idea for someone to look at. Reproducing the original 1978 type and adding a 48 games card etc etc. I have seen 2012 models that are alot bigger and alot more expensive, but havent seen an exact 1978 repro kit yet ?

!@#   does anyone have a link to anyone who sells a cocktail cabinet kit that u can put together ?  !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:47 AM »

The original Hankin tables demand a premium price. They are very well made. Sadly, the ones Dad operated in the old days were sent to landfill. I cringe every time I see one on eBay.

I'm not sure if they sell kits, but Gamemasters, Pinball Factory and a couple of others that slip my mind sell machines that might be available as kits ?

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »

The original Hankin tables demand a premium price. They are very well made. Sadly, the ones Dad operated in the old days were sent to landfill. I cringe every time I see one on eBay.

I'm not sure if they sell kits, but Gamemasters, Pinball Factory and a couple of others that slip my mind sell machines that might be available as kits ?

Nino I've heard storys of semi's backing up in the tip and dumping 60 cocktails at once  !!! they where easier to chuck than keep i suppose and looking at the wear around the joystick on mine they would have made a ton of money, how many you reckon your dad through out? and on a side note when Space Invaders first come how much money would they have made a week in a good location?
I'm after another and will start looking soon and I love the wear on the control panel its part of the history.

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »

Nino I've heard storys of semi's backing up in the tip and dumping 60 cocktails at once  !!! they where easier to chuck than keep i suppose and looking at the wear around the joystick on mine they would have made a ton of money, how many you reckon your dad through out? and on a side note when Space Invaders first come how much money would they have made a week in a good location?
I'm after another and will start looking soon and I love the wear on the control panel its part of the history.

Peter

I remember the first two Space Invaders uprights that went on location in Northcote. They were next to each other, and they were the strangest things I'd ever seen. Then the clones came out - Like "Super Space Stranger". The cocktail tables - I don't think Dad ever had an original table. They were all clones. First ones were woodgrain with black and white CRTs. They had coloured strips on the monitors. They were sent in boxes, that were shipped in containers. There was one container that was full of Space Invaders cocktail tables (clones). These were quickly unpacked and put on site. They only work that was done was the barrel locks were replaced with a universal barrel. Although it sounds like this is a good story, it isn't. For each table put onsite meant that a Pinball was removed. On some locations, there were 5-6 tables installed. Then the next "generation"" was the color CRTs with white woodgrain tables. These were really good. I'd say that there were well over 100 tables operated and I'd say they were earning very well. The good thing about the tables was that the Space Invaders boards were removed and then replaced with Galaxian, then Galaga etc etc.. So their earning capacity was always high. The Hankin style tables were heavy - they originally had Asteroids PCBs in them (still have these boards), but the CRT was massive. So these could be easily converted.

In the storage building, I have boxes of parts. Some of these boxes were the original shipping boxes that the Space Invader clones were shipped in. I will tape a photo and post in this thread. The clone boards are still in storage as well. There are single layer boards and then two level boards with a riser board in between. They still work, but I have no way (or interest) in testing them.

There were 10 cocktails left over from the old days. I sold most of them to AP members. I kept two really nice ones for myself. The last original space Invaders upright I sold to a member here as well.

Where did 90% of these games end up ? In Reservoir landfill.

so in a way, it is a SAD story, but there was no way of telling that amusement machines would one day be collectibles. Heck, my old man was GIVING them away to my school friends. In a way, he probably pioneered the "home" market back in the early 80's.