Author Topic: Lost pinball mojo  (Read 563 times)

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Lost pinball mojo
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
I'm down to 1 machine and there is a very good chance that the number will be zero very soon.
I don't know if it is burnout or not but I am not enjoying the pins anywhere near as much as I used to.
I guess priorities change...they certainly have for me.

Maybe keep the one and let it gather dust. I'm sure the day you play it again after a good spell will get you back into the spirit

Maybe your right....dunno....Pinballs are a like drugs for me...very very addictive and good for time wasting...I can loose hours and hours on them easily but besides from some fun playing them they do very little else for me. I am not a fixer so that doesn't interest me.
To be honest mate it feels like I am wasting my time with them...  just going round and round in circles from game to game and purchase to purcahse has gotten very stale.
I could be wrong but I just can't shake the feeling that I should be doing something else a lot more construcitve with my time other than playing pinball.
Maybe that might change...maybe it won't....life goes on.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
I'm down to 1 machine and there is a very good chance that the number will be zero very soon.
I don't know if it is burnout or not but I am not enjoying the pins anywhere near as much as I used to.

Maybe keep the one and let it gather dust. I'm sure the day you play it again after a good spell will get you back into the spirit

Maybe your right....dunno....Pinballs are a like drugs for me...very very addictive and good for time wasting...I can loose hours and hours on them easily but besides from some fun playing them they do very little else for me. I am not a fixer so that doesn't interest me.
To be honest mate it feels like I am wasting my time with them...  just going round and round in circles from game to game and purchase to purcahse has gotten very stale.
I could be wrong but I just can't shake the feeling that I should be doing something else a lot more construcitve with my time other than playing pinball.

A new collector  I know "always wanted a pinball", then took the plunge with a Funhouse. He then added four more pins. I caught up with him the other day and he mentioned something that I won't forget for a while - " I come home from work STRESSED, then I lose an hour on the pinball machines and find that at the end of the session, I'm not stressed anymore".

Pinball does different thing for different people.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »
I have a whack of machines locked in a dbl lock up garage, plus others in the house. If i get bored of playing pinballs, I just dont open the garage door, and let them just sit there for a few days, or a few weeks. Because they are in a nice dry rat free environment, I can leave them for a day or a month.  When i feel the need to play them again, I can just open the door. It took me 3 or more years to accumulate them, and alot of hard sweat n tears of working 7 days a week, so selling isnt really a option.

Just have a few hobbys going at once so u dont get too sick of the first one being pinball. Seeing other peoples faces when they play the pinballs is what re-ignites the passion for pinball. Sometimes just looking at them is good enough. Hearing about the new AC/DC or Wizard of Oz, plus wondering whats next for Stern is always a fun way to spend some time day dreaming.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »

Saw your new guitar......give that a good hammering.....seeing the pix brought back memories for me (thanks) of doing some weird shit like reading Eddie VH waxing pickups and melting some of my own PU's in a pot. I still laugh about the dumb shit I did as a young guy. Pimping pinnies is something similar where you try to improve something that's probably close to perfect anyway.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 08:39:22 PM »

[/quote]Saw your new guitar......give that a good hammering.....seeing the pix brought back memories for me (thanks) of doing some weird shit like reading Eddie VH waxing pickups and melting some of my own PU's in a pot. I still laugh about the dumb shit I did as a young guy. Pimping pinnies is something similar where you try to improve something that's probably close to perfect anyway.
[/quote]

Cheers mate, I have been practising heaps...I forgot how much I love music and more importantly..creating music. I have very little otherwise in the way of skills, writting songs is something that comes naturally to me.
I can't believe I left myself without an instrument for so long...that will never ever happen again.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
I sometimes go through the motions of my pinball mojo slipping away - I think mainly I get the guilts of these expensive boxes sitting there and I want to have a few games or do some work and just can't get there. One thing is my little girl wants me when ever I am around which makes my heart melt and can be for days that I look at them but can't play, but I am slowly trying to train her to play (only 2 1/2 years old so early days), melts me even more when she says you play Iron Pinball.

The other thing that bugs me is seeing the in fighting on the forum's or against forum's. We all love our machines and it is our hobby of choice for what ever memories it brings back, the satisfaction of bringing a battered machine back to life, or watching others play - but it is a shame that we can't express who we are or be understanding where someone is coming from, with out putting threats / unwelcome's out there - just ruins the vibe of a group, culture, forum.

I love surfing and it too can have the agro out there because some guys get selfish or a ego beyond what their board can hold and when it happens the fun just disappears. Can't wait for this weekend doctors given me clearance to get back into the water after 6 months away due to a compo injury on the knee....

What would be fun is like a mens shed for guys just with pinballs where everyone in a area could store a machine or two and have daily meets and have a workshop section to do rebuilds and help each other - that would do pinball wonders I reckon - even have open nights for functions and company xmas parties to cover the cost of rent and machine repairs.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »

CC post 15
[/quote]

Understand the addiction thing Daz, becomes an obsession almost. But it could be worse doing drugs and blowing the money away and your life for that matter. As for wasting time, we all waste time, just like our wives, brothers, sisters - some watch crappy tv, some throw money in the pokies, some buy jewellery, apart from work and spending quality time with your family you have to waste time doing something may as well be doing something that is fun.

In the end you have one machine and you can always put a cover on it and play it in a few weeks time when you are sick of guitar practise - at least then I can catch up to your score -  %.%
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
one of the games i would sell was is a grail pin for me.
if its the paragon you know who to pm first.  %$%
It would be a big call for me to sell it,but as i said IF i really liked a future title from those 2 companies i will sell it and my EM machine Card Whiz to make room as i only want 4 pins.If it does happen i will pm you no problems.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 09:29:19 PM »
Yeah your prob right Jady.
I'm a stay at home dad with too much time to kill on some days...idle hands and all that..too much time think.
I am still having a few games a day instead of the 50+ in between home chores and guitar practice.
I used to surf heaps too when I was younger...not very good but I sure did enjoy it...far too unfit these days but would make good sharkbait.
I bet you will get my score soon the way your going.
Thanks mate.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »

" I come home from work STRESSED, then I lose an hour on the pinball machines and find that at the end of the session, I'm not stressed anymore".

I have a mate in Sydney who says EXACTLY this  *%*

DW Drums rule !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
Whenever I introduce my machines to people I call them "Fun Machines" not Pinball machines. People who have never played a pinball machine before, always agree.
In reality, they were designed for one thing and one thing only, for people to have fun on.

Definately a great way to de-stress for sure, unless u get a drain first ball, first up.lol  @.@  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »
Whenever I introduce my machines to people I call them "Fun Machines" not Pinball machines. People who have never played a pinball machine before, always agree.
In reality, they were designed for one thing and one thing only, for people to have fun on.

Definately a great way to de-stress for sure, unless u get a drain first ball, first up.lol  @.@  ^^^
Spot on i use that line all the time,when someone has a bad game and starts stressing out,i always say it is all about having a bit of FUN,so go and have another game.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
It would be a big call for me to sell it,but as i said IF i really liked a future title from those 2 companies i will sell it

Read this 10 minutes ago - picking my jaw up off the floor Tony $$(
DW Drums rule !

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »
It would be a big call for me to sell it,but as i said IF i really liked a future title from those 2 companies i will sell it

Read this 10 minutes ago - picking my jaw up off the floor Tony $$(
%.%  %.% Your a funny bugger Wotto,you know what i have in my shed and i prefer the other SS game.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
I really enjoy fixing, restoring them more than playing them I have noticed lately.  I probally only play mine once a week I suppose.  But I got really excited when a mate told me he was looking to buy a game, then I had to orgainse everything for him, dealing with seller, transport, parts, repairs and a quick tidy up.  That stuff for me is exciting, playing the first games when a pin is running at its optimum is where it is at for me.
I still enjoy them and I find I get high scores more often after a long period of not playing but really find restorations and problem solving a great outlet.