Author Topic: Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland by John Popadiuk  (Read 59161 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
here is a old video that I just found that doesn't have alot about the game but a little peak into how he designs his games and his lucky cat.
&feature=player_embedded
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
a recent comment from jpop about his approach to a game

"Well our concept was making a small run of games, truly limited. like orange county choppers. not a manufacturing plant with deadlines deciding design. If we change something (ie: redraw art) and it takes another month, then that is what is **best** for the game. As these games will be here 25 years from now. Price, quality, speed...pick any 2?

Also we know all our customers by name and not just serial numbers. we care about their input, ideas and suggestions and frustrations. it's not about production numbers (or money) it's about making amazing pinball loading with inventive features....as the **standard** game. The UE or Ultimate Edition. So we do not make an LE with a skimped-out low cost model, but just **one** design (One Ring to Rule Them All) with as much crap as we can fit in (afford).

This is how I was taught how to design games at WMS and the only way I really want to work. I think it makes the best pinball for my fans and the community. Jpop"

BHZA should be a nice game

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
He said all that, then he threw the word "afford" into it which brought it back to a commercial reality.

Perhaps getting some pre-orders, and maybe taking some deposits from people who dont care about timelines, would/could make the pinball machine better in the long run cause it gives them more working capital. I know he said he wasnt doing this for money, but its not a charity either.
Will be interesting to see what happens, but I am also starting to get confused as to who is Heck, Jpop and the other few names which keep appearing on all these homebrew pinnys. I cant keep up with who is who, and who is working for who and on what title. They should pool their collective monies n talents and start a super company to give JJP and Stern a run for their monies.lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I think basically these guys do it out of passion and have a vision and dream to chase, more so Charlie as he has about 25 to 30 predominantly horror based pins in his basement and has done a custom retheme Godzilla so I am sure his pin will be a beauty but it will be his style and maybe not for all of us, combining efforts might come later but might not as then you have to keep more people happy, some people just gotta do there thing and I think these 3 guys are all helping each other in various ways - hats off to all of them.

like I wrote in Ghost Squad's thread (I think) was

- Ben stars in BHZA made by Jpop
- Ben is creating GS which is seperate to Jpop - his own venture but he is not geared up or wanting to mass produce ? so could be seeing Charlie to make
- Charlie is creating PZFBTG and his services are offering to make other boutique pins in which he has been quoted that he could make GS for Ben
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:49:19 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland by Jpop
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »
A pinball friend in Canada posted this on pinside

content is absically a mash of Zombie Adventureland and Magic girl so I will highlight Zombie Adventureland here and repost and highlight the other in Magic Girl thread.

"Hey guys,
So, I had an impromptu trip to Chicago this week for business.
I immediately seized the opportunity and contacted John Popadiuk to see if I could sneak a peak into the studios of Zidware Inc to get a behind the scenes look at the development of Magic Girl and Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland (yes, Ben Heck's name is no longer part of the title).

As a buyer on RAZA I have had access to plenty of online updates on that project via a private blog, but John's willingness to let owners come down and visit in person is something that I'd hoped to take advantage of.

If you haven't heard of these projects or their details, John has asked all buyers to sign an NDA so, sorry, no pictures and I can't discuss actual game details. Heres a link to John's site. theres a bit of stuff on RAZA link, but be prepared to he dissapointed for lack of content. He's keeping the whole process pretty secret.

http://pinballinventor.org/games.html

Now, here's a quick overview of my impressions from this visit.

-The studio. It's a fair size but this is not a "manufacturing facility" in the grand sense. It's a mixed use office/commercial space that was outfitted from floor to ceiling with materials, prototyping tools, design sketches, models, proof of concept mechanisms being put through their paces and, of course, games in various stages of completion. Its a great space to build a boutique run of games... not an assembly line. i would love to work in a studio like this! I suggested that John post a large wide angle shot of the space because it really made me feel a lot more at ease as a buyer.

-Magic Girl! since I'm not a buyer on MG, I'm sure John had tucked away a few things   I did not see any playfield materials, but I did see plenty of cabinets, mechanisms in progress and lots of drawings. John loosely described it as a prequel to Theater of Magic. A theme that goes back to an older time "A blend of magic and alchemy" were his exact words. The prototype cabinets I saw were fantastically built and you can tell that John and company are not sparing any expense.

-Artwork is phenomenal! No joke. Both games have THE best artwork I have ever seen on any pinball machine bar none. John's got a great team of artists and illustrators that are going to breath new life into this industry... I have no doubt. It's all hand drawn/coloured and its fantastic! The MG cabinet was gorgeous and John snuck in a lot of references to his BW heritage with many characters and objects from TOM, CV and TOTAN appearing in minor cameo roles in the art.

-John knows what he's doing (duh!) I saw racks and racks of parts all neatly categorized and labeled. All of his newly designed and fabricated proprietary parts were undergoing their own coding system and, after handling some of them, I have No Fear about damage or longevity. This stuff is made to last... and every Zidware part carries their signature thunderbolt. Very nice, and very sharp... literally. His favourite line was "careful, you will bleed"  
I also got a close look at the professionally made wiring harnesses being installed in MG. these are all being locally outsourced and it sounds like there is a great network of suppliers and professionals supporting John's efforts.
I saw tons of great exploration in materials and processes being employed into the all the games in general. It was cool to learn how they are engineering all of this and even trying to get UL approvals for everything... even the cleanliness and efficiency of the under-playfield wiring is important to them.

-Time. I think there was a massive learning curve here for the team. MG took months of development just to get the cabinet designed and realized.... now John says that process is a matter of weeks for RAZA and all future pins. John described the scope and size of the teams they had at BW back in the day and how quickly stuff could be prototyped and engineered. Obviously this is a totally different animal and the R&D time required is huge.

-And finally, Design! I did get to see a foamcore mockup of RAZA in progress. The game has a unique layout, new and never before seen features, re-imagined mechanisms from the past and its just chock full of fun. In fact, that's the one word I would use to define John's space and projects, FUN! A friend jokingly suggested I was going to meet Willy Wonka and I think it was a fitting de******ion. I did feel like a kid in a candy factory  

I know some customers are getting impatient, but I'm enjoying the process and only wish more could be revealed so that everyone could get as excited as the owner groups on both pins.
Some guys live close enough to pop by, others may get the occasional visit like me, but for most owners this will be a remote process. For them I can only say that the wait will definitely be worth it.

It may still be a few months before we see the first 3 prototype Magic Girl games... and who knows how long RAZA will stretch.... but I know everyone will be floored when these games hit the scene.
From what I can gauge at this early stage, they will be in a league of their own.
John had some other cool mini-projects in the studio which he will only reveal once completed, but there is a heap of creativity and drive in that space and John seems super driven. The man works 7 days a week!

So, I'll close by wishing John and his team good luck, and thanks again for your hospitality.
I look forward to the rest of the ride and hopefully I'll get to stop in again during expo in October!"

attached suggests Ben Heck is still part of the theme just not on the game name which is probably better for that timeless factor

also attached is a image of what could be the JPop cabinet structure - a few interesting features like 5 speaker system, screen in the back of the playfield
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:51:23 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
how are these for cool pops for Jpop's pins

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
here is some art, kind of freaky looking clown, but awesome art.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Zidware is no more, sent by the company taking over Zidware's investments etc.

Dear Fellow Zidware Customers,
Pintasia Design Inc. is the Licensee to MG, RAZA and AIW. We want to share with you who we are and why we are here. We are in the same boat as you. We have interests in both RAZA and MG. By investing our own resources of time, money and efforts, Pintasia on a best efforts basis will do everything that they possibly can to help get back what we all lost to Zidware. To be clear, Pintasia is a third party, and is not a part of Zidware the company or their liabilities.
Pintasia is a newly formed company set up to bring the best talent in all necessary facets of pinball to produce extraordinary games ready for production:
• Business Development - Bill Brandes: business restructuring, real estate holdings, commodities, investment fund
• Finance & Operations - Sabrina Wei: investment banker, business consultant, Deloitte & Touche alumni
• Art Design - Zombie Yeti, artist for MG, RAZA and AIW
• Technical Support - Jim Martin, service and support for machines
• Consultant* (Game Design) - John Popadiuk, Zidware Inc.
• Legal Counsel (USA) – Jordan Litwin, Meltzer, Purtill & Stelle LLC
• Manufacturer – TBD, must be proven quality manufacturer
• Programmer – TBD, must have experience with deep rule sets
* John Popadiuk is strictly a Consultant, he has no interest in Pintasia and does not make any business decisions. His role is strictly defined as artistic design for the completion of the 3 machines in progress.
The agreement provided by our attorney was to quantify Zidware customers enabling us to plan a viable business structure. We have extended the deadline to June 30, 2015, please use updated agreement attached.
We are not asking for money now, and we hope to delay additional payments until production is confirmed. This will largely depend on the manufacturing agreement we enter into. We will release the information upon successful execution.
The Collector's Edition was set at 199, not to encourage an upsell but to allow the opportunity for all Zidware customers to get in on the limited run which will feature special elements. We stress, it is not necessary to have 199 MG-Collector’s Edition ordered to commence production, nor are we forcing anyone to convert from their current title.
The reason we created the Magic Girl Classic is to get possible new sales quicker on a machine that is nearly complete, these potential profits in turn will allow us now to confirm 1:1 credit for RAZA and AIW purchasers.
Our next communication will be strictly answering questions arising from this correspondence. This endeavor was strictly born out of the desire to get the money we all lost to Zidware. We have spoken to many of you personally in the last few days, the positive responses and encouraging words have been absolutely amazing. We want to thank everyone who has lent a hand to help out. For those who we haven’t talked to yet, we invite you to call at your earliest convenience.
Look forward to speaking with you personally,
PINTASIA DESIGN INC.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
They have more names working for the USA Legal Counsel than any other area.

I wish them well but it's a impossible pipe dream and just another load of BS in a long line of promises, excuses and stall tactics.

The actual previous release from Zidware themselves was even more "fingers down your throat" and dry reaching than this. It still stinks of everything that a company being wound up and facing imminent bankruptcy would release.

Notice how the "press release" didn't mention the hundreds of angry and pissed off people who want their money back.
They spun this to sound like everyone is giving them a standing ovation for saving the day.
You only get standing ovations when you give people back 100 percent of their money back.

It's still a cow shit sandwich made to look like a banquet. But I could be wrong......

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I purely posted to cap off these projects and though I was on the list a while back for RAZA I bailed a while ago as it just didn't sound right. I am not encouraging anyone to buy any of these pins but posted purely for awareness for anyone thinking. The stuff that has happened in the last 12 months with Bumper with JJP pins, Skitb Pinball, the kickstarter attempt of the other pin company (can't remember the names at the moment), Dutch Pinball debacle, Jpop (Zidware) brings me and sure many others to the point of not investing in a new pin unless it could be delivered by a reputation proven company in a few months max from when a deposit is issued.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Thanks Swinks for the update. So just to clarify and wade through all the legal statement, John Popadiuk is out of business? Has all his work amounted to nothing?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
A good question.

His work amounted to him keeping apparently over One Million Dollars of people's money so his work should have made him very comfy over the years.

Will his design work live on, probably, if the "new" company keep paying him the $$ he wants on a weekly or quarterly or yearly basis from them.

Will anyone ever get their $17,000 USA and climbing proto type pinny ? Who knows.
If JPop pulls the pin at any stage, the whole future is again down the toilet.
That's why Pintasia would be mad to get into bed with someone who has already failed so highly of a grand scale.
It's only another 2 to 5 years minimum according to Zidware.
The whole thing is such a letdown and smells bad of dishonesty.

I am waiting to see the PinballNews story on the whole debacle. Martin from PinballNews writes a great article about these types of stories. Will have to check his site again cause he always gets to the real story.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
J pop is a contractor to the new company.  He will be paid to develop RAZA and AIWL over the next two years.  MG is done as far as the J Pop's design is concerned.

If everyone signs up to loose some of their deposit, Jpop looses nothing.

...Skit b is sounding like a saint.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
yeh, Skit B refunded monies apparently so kudos to him if correct.

JPop only taking in a million dollars and not even offering partial refunds let alone full refunds is criminal to me.
They act like they were victims of circumstance and it was all just a little mistake or slight error of judgement. No way, not to me. It's the wolf pretending to be the dumb accidental sheep when it comes to JPop and Zidware to me.
1 million dollars worth.

Would like to see what he drives, what his house looks like, what's in his house, and what boats/toys/cars/jetskis are in the garage and where the million has gone.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
pretty sure skitB haven't given any refunds when the #hit hit the fan and he stopped communicating, but sure it was paypal that issued refunds to people that used paypal to pay for deposits.

bet he wasted a crap load of money on trademarking and patents, all useless when you don't make and sell anything.

sounds like he was crap at project managing when he works on and designs 3 games plus a proto-type kiss pinball, he should of built MG and then move on to the next.

for pinball t-shirts