Author Topic: E10 is shite  (Read 786 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
E10 is shite
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
A workmate (who is a diehard greenie) is now facing a bill of 2K - 3K to get his engine rebuilt after 4 years (65,000km) of exclusively using E10 , due to carbonisation .
Car is only 5.5 yrs old and has done 90K total. Toyota say they have a seen a few vehicles coming in with this same problem.

Here's a pic of piston # 4 to give you an idea.
The rings are covered in carbon and the compression rings are jammed
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
Re: E10 is shite
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »
Not good at all.

When I was doing a rebuilds on a trucks engines we had the same problem with the carbon building up around the piston rings and oil scraper.Sometimes we would reuse the old piston if they were still in spec and would soke the top part in handy and (pink bottle) and all the carbon would just brush off after about twenty minutes.

Change the oil we were using to one that had a carbon cleaning product in it and it work wonders on the new engines.Most diesel engine oil have it in it now.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
I stopped using E10 "fulltime"a few yrs back when a mechanic at both Ford (my own 6 cylinder company work daily driver) and Toyota (wifes 4 cylinder Camry) both told me that the E10 causes problems because cheap gas stations play with the mixtures and add cheapo methanol based crap to the mix to make a profit out of it.
So i learnt only go to a gas station (like a huge roadside BP station) where new fuel trucks deliver everyday, and only do 3 tanks E10 to 1 x tank premium. I stuck to that principle and havent had an issue.
Interestingly, if u look around the fuel filler on most petrol cars, u shldnt see any stain unless it is redish in colour, but if u use E10 all the time, u see a very blacky carbonned up sludge, so u know what it must be doing inside. Ofcourse, using the "best" magnatec synthetic oil helps too (no mineral grade cheap oil in my cars ever) and change the oil every 10,000 klms no matter what.

I was looking at a brand New diesel vehicle yesterday, and a bloke who bought a new Diesel Pajero a year ago told me he is in a 4 wheel drive club, and ALOT of people are having massively expensive issues with fixing cars due to bad diesel fuels which fark your diesel motors up really bad as well. Car costs today are very high, and the manufacturers warranty does not cover "bad fuel" which is a big get out clause for any car service division.

The next brand new car i buy shortly, will be the Hybrid Camry (half fuel-half petrol) which is a fantastic car, well priced, sweet ride, and internationally recognised as one of the best cars on the planet. Even the taxi drivers say the new hybrid camry uses less fuel than LPG and the new Camry hybrid is a winner. Bring on Julia Gillards new carbon taxing and watch EVERYTHING in the car industry rise sharply to a 10 year high with huge running costs. We need a new government, and for fuels in this country to be more affordable so wholesalers dont play with the fuels which wreck peoples engines.  ^&^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
ALOT of people are having massively expensive issues with fixing cars due to bad diesel fuels which fark your diesel motors up really bad as well.

I know someone who had a 3K+ plus repair bill due to bad diesel .

We have a Diesel I30 and always fill up at the same servo (unless out of town) that is also popular with the local truckies .. but refueling is always a gamble these days I spose   !!!
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:48:16 PM »
Toyota say they have a seen a few vehicles coming in with this same problem.

His first mistake was buying a Toyota!!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »
Interesting, I have had my Yaris sedan for nearly 5 years and have used E10 a lot, although not exclusively. No troubles so far (fingers crossed).

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »
I have always been very iffy about using E10 in my car (2000 V6 Camry).. there have been a few times i have been at the servo about to fuel up and looked at the E10 and thinking of trying it (just because it was cheaper). I always had thoughts in my mind that E10 fuel could ruin my engine.. glad i trusted my instincts after seeing that pic  *%*

I wouldnt have tried it without asking my mechanic anyway  *.* *.*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:22:44 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:27:34 AM »
e-10 is shite..... (blonde wig) heellooooo

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:56 AM »
never use it to risky

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:35 AM »
My ute runs pretty rough on E10.. spoke to the mechanic at 2000Klms service and first thing he asked is if i was using E10.. dont use it now and she runs good on anything but E10

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 03:07:25 AM »
it might be cheaper but I find I get less K's per litre out of E10. I get more k's out of $20 worth of standard unleaded than $20 worth of E10 so it works out more expensive in the long run because you use more fuel to get the same K's, if that makes any sense?
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »
My RX8 uses the expensive 96% stuff BUT it gets far better milage than my 4cyl ute using regular unleaded.

I have never used E10 - I have never trusted it - why take the food out of peoples mouths.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »
Haven't tried or seen any in Perth yet, and dont want to either.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields