Author Topic: BUYING IN 2012 OR 2013 - NEW STERNS OR ?? ELSE ??  (Read 556 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
BUYING IN 2012 OR 2013 - NEW STERNS OR ?? ELSE ??
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
I was wondering last night, how many people out of say every 100 pinheads in Australia, who are active in the collecting process, would collect/buy a new Stern in 2012 and 2013.  !@#

I was wondering, what percentage of people WONT EVER buy a Stern, based on the price alone (say $6 grand plus delivery etc if u like the Pro model).

OR

How many people "Will only buy a Stern if its the title they always wanted". example - AC/DC Pro. I wasnt buying a new Stern, but the AC/DC title and music convinced me.

Is it a money thing for most, not to buy a Stern when u can buy 2 or 3 older games, or is it a "must do" to have a Brand New in Box Stern, which over n above the unboxing and first game, the joy of having a brand spanking never touched game appeals to you.

Is there a title, that u have to have first, for a BNIB machine to make its way into your house, or are u just going to keep your eyes n mind open, incase the offereings at Stern continue to get better, and then buy a few here n there, as the models do or dont appeal.

There are a few current AP members who have exceptional Stern machines in their collections. Its some of you guys I am also interested in.

The relevance being, that Stern needs every sale to keep profitable, and the next 2 or 3 years are going to be just as financially important as the last 3 or 4 years.

Has BNIB Sterns hit a re- assurgence, with alot of pinheads buying that one or two new machines each year ? OR are u just buying the older games, and have a title in mind.

It would be nice to think that every pinhead one would own a BNIB machine.  ^^^ WOZ incl for some as well

What are u buying in 2012/2013 ?  !@# !@#
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:01:49 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Richyrich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mansfield, VIC.
Re: BUYING IN 2012 OR 2013 - NEW STERNS OR ?? ELSE ??
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »
BIBLE is my first and probably last,NIB

I have a Black Spidey,that is virtually NIB,however,I would rather get some other older titles  Bally/Williams

With these older machines,I find If I get bored with them,I can usually get what I paid or at least close to it.

I think Stern stuffed up with Rolling Stones,it could have been great with a few more bucks put into it.

Seems they learned their lesson,because the quality in the AC/DC LE's look much better

I am looking forward to opening up a brand new pin,that no one has played

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:23:59 PM »
I have no real desire to have BIN... im also not a big fan of STERN machines.
I get a lot more pleasure picking up a destined for landfill wreck and turning it into a factory showroom product... takes a couple of years but i really do enjoy the drawn out process.
But... were i to buy BIN, id be more inclined to buy from Jack or a small fitout like Retropinball. I wouldnt buy STERN, same as i wouldnt buy PLAYMATIC or RECEL

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
BIBLE i can't wait for and I only bought it cause it was AC/DC I bought on theme alone! Another NIB? well the theme would have to be great maybe KISS if Gene sold the license

Peter

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »
Personally  - I too dont have a huge desire for a NIB anytime soon.

UNLESS JJP's second title is a BALL TEARER and after I see how WOZ holds up to the anticipated hype - then MAAAAAAAYBE  !@#
Besides - wait a few years and the current NIB titles will be around 4k+ - I will pick one of them up then if I feel the need.

If I had 6-7 k to spend I would DEFINITELY rather a couple of older titles in decent nick  #*#
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »

UNLESS JJP's second title is a BALL TEARER and after I see how WOZ holds up to the anticipated hype - then MAAAAAAAYBE  !@#

Same here - love what they are doing but the theme is too far this side of what I would like to make me step up, as much as I would love to support this fledgling outfit. So I'm like Wotto- produce a great game with WoZ and pick a good theme and if they get it going this year then I might buy a new game this year.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
No desire and no money for NIB.

If I did get another pin I would be looking at RFM or POTC.

But would need to come into a bucketload of cash really.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Capcom Kingin if it ever gets remade.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »
Capcom Kingin if it ever gets remade.

Suspect we can forget that one Tony unfortunately.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »

AJ, theres a dozen good RFM's around Melb with people like Oscar, Dirty Daz, Mark etc. You could do a layby type deal and score yaself a good RFM for nicks at the moment.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day

AJ, theres a dozen good RFM's around Melb with people like Oscar, Dirty Daz, Mark etc. You could do a layby type deal and score yaself a good RFM for nicks at the moment.

Yeah, I know there are plenty of machines around but 4 kids and a mortgage mean I have no spare cash at the moment! And there are things around the house that need fixing before any pinball can be purchased.

It's OK as I have 3 in the collection, just have to do some work on one to get it up and running properly, and some minor fixes on the other two.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat

There are a few current AP members who have exceptional Stern machines in their collections. Its some of you guys I am also interested in.

I have bought 3 NIB, and I have 3 second hand Sterns. And a WOZ on the way

I will only consider another game if the theme apeals to me
I am not an AC/DC fan, so I that machine was never on the cards, the new 'AVENGERS' movie is not exciting me, so a 'NO' to that one
If JJP's next pin is 'The Hobit', then no to that, if it was 'ELVIRA' then I would find the money

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Its a money thing for me mainly .. so no , won't being buying any NIB machine . Plus I like the oldies and fixing em up.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I got to have a few games on the new AC/DC at timezone yesterday and it certainly looks and plays very nice. ^^^

But I really can't see myself buying NIB at this stage or in the near future.

Personally would prefer 2-3 older(cheaper) machines anyday, but my collection is still quite small.

Not to mention, my wife would never let me spend so much on a pinnie. !*! !*! !*! %.% %.%

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
INot to mention, my wife would never let me spend so much on a pinnie. !*! !*! !*! %.% %.%

Nor would mine
I need more room ! and more $$$