Author Topic: Is it just me or is Pinball Resource in the Dark Ages?  (Read 741 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
everyone is right here.  paypal is like alot of modern day services, it works well for 99 percent of people 99 percent of the time. The PBR guy doesnt use it because he has been doing it his older way for dozens of years, and his system works for him.

at the same time, Mike is right about paypal. it is exactly like paying for something over the phone with a credit card. if u ring the bank (or paypal) and say i dint/havent authorised the payment, i want it disputed, instantly you get your money back, or within a week etc. Therefore, anyone selling anything for a large amount of money who takes paypal, is open slather to a charge back, and u can do NOTHING to get your money back. Again, 99 percent of people on 99 percent of paypal transactions are honest, and u will never have a problem, but there is always a small risk.  nothing in life is perfect.

at least PBR have a good range of stock, albeit, the worlds worst pinball parts internet site without the full parts listings n prices.
* Just use Greg from RTBB or Mark C, and support the good Aussie guys. Beats mucking around with PBR and having to set up the time machine to do business.lol  %.%  
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
There is a good reason why PBR will NEVER use Paypal - because of fraud. They were ripped off inbetween 2002-2004. I can't remember exactly when, but I asked Steve years ago.

I guess if we are going to rip through PBR, we should look at the other suppliers.

Can you ring up Marco with advise on a particular part ? I don't think so. The "old fashioned way" of calling a person and asking about a part is well and truly gone. You now look at pretty pictures and click on boxes. Great idea. It "looks like" the part I need. But when it arrives and it is the wrong one - do you send it back for a refund ?

Steve Young is one of the fore fathers of the hobby. Most of the other suppliers like Marco, buy stock from PBR, take cute little pictures, add 25% mark up and add ridiculous "shipping and handling" fees. Ever picked up a box from Marco and checked the paperwork ? My last order from them (and I mean that literally) cost $68 to send. Thats what it cost Marco to send to me. But they add all these fees and charge me $100. Not only that, but they LOST the order and then told me it is my "responsibility" to track it down even when the package was "trackable" at their end - but they were too lazy. I called USPS, and the parcel was still in Miami - Marco had not filled out the registration correctly and it was waiting FOUR WEEKS for Marco to sign the paperwork. Yet Marco was telling me to check my post office, or wait 3 months for an insurance claim. When the box arrived, it was MASSIVE. It could have been cut down and cost me less, but they filled it with 5 kg of packing. The box had a hole in it that you could fit a golf ball. I sent them pictures, explained that it had taken 2 months for the package to arrive and their reply was "glad to see you have it"..

If PBR are still in the dark ages, I'll still order from them. The boxes are sized correctly, packed correctly and the shipping is always what they paid. I've had order of $700 regularly in Flat Rate boxes and the "handling fee" was under $10. Marco won't even look at an order without overcharging shipping and handling.

I guess I've got used to their system. I've bought just about every manufacturer's service and parts manuals from the 1950's, so I order with the original part numbers. PBR have it or they don't. I have an account with them, which is safer than using paypal. PBR have made one error in the 15 years I've ordered from them. I think Marco has supplied one correct order in the 4 years I've tried ordering from them.

It is very rare that PBR don't have the part you are looking for.

I guess it is like any industry. Modernization has not caught up with PBR, but I prefer their depth of knowledge and honesty. If you have a credit account with them, you order what you need and wait for the package. It is that simple.

I do appreciate that people that are new to the hobby will find it very difficult to deal with PBR. I prefer the personal approach rather than overpriced parts, pretty pictures and dishonest shipping prices. But people have a choice, which is important I guess.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
If i ever want something from PBR, I am going to contact u Nino and pay you to get it for me, if u dont mind. That way i can get the best of both worlds since u are set up with them. You could just on-ship to me which i would pay for etc, plus extra for ya time.

U have a good relationship with them, and you are right, end results with ordering parts count.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
If i ever want something from PBR, I am going to contact u Nino and pay you to get it for me, if u dont mind. That way i can get the best of both worlds since u are set up with them. You could just on-ship to me which i would pay for etc, plus extra for ya time.

U have a good relationship with them, and you are right, end results with ordering parts count.

No worries Brett - I have been doing this for years for other hobbyists and AP members  ^^^

Greg at RTTB stocks most of the common Gottlieb parts, but if he does not have what I need it is straight to PBR.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!

No worries Brett - I have been doing this for years for other hobbyists and AP members  ^^^

Greg at RTTB stocks most of the common Gottlieb parts, but if he does not have what I need it is straight to PBR.

and note that Greg only accepts PayPal as a 'gift' and the reason is you cannot chargeback a gift via PayPal......so a seller can't get stung!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
No way - they are way up to 2012 standards.
Apparently this is the staff driving to work

I thought that was Gary Sterns ride  !@#  *)*

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Ok so he is worried about Paypal - thats fine and understood - I hate it myself.
But - does anyone remember that in around 1974 the World introduced CREDIT CARDS  !@#
SURELY he could offer THAT option.

Like others I grab gear off him as a last resort BUT he also needs to improve his communication skills IMO
Unless I jump through EVERY HOOP and cross EVERY T and dot EVERY I in the emails and have the EXACT part number on EVERY SINGLE item I get emails back with big exclamation points in them ( yelling at me as I see it  !@# )

Last order I placed ( in order to assist him ) I provided my name , my country and my customer account number that (a) he initially gave me - and (b) I have used on every transaction and I get back in big capitol letters with the exclamation marks again - YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME, ADDRESS AND ACCOUNT NUMBER WITH EVERY ORDER !

It was like a punch in the face #@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline Bayview

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
Well said Strangeways. @@*
Yes PBR deals in the dark days. But I get what I want at a great price (mainly EM stuff), alot cheaper than others.
I have an account, and I do a bank transfer once the goods arrive. No problems. Easy. I'll continue to shop there.
I do try to keep my orders to at least $500 or more, to get good value for money.
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Yes PBR deals in the dark days. But I get what I want at a great price (mainly EM stuff), alot cheaper than others.
I have an account, and I do a bank transfer once the goods arrive. No problems. Easy. I'll continue to shop there.
I do try to keep my orders to at least $500 or more, to get good value for money.
Gee, I started something here.
Don't get too serious about it all, I know they have great prices on a lot of parts, my comment was they difficulty in dealing with them.
Ultimately if too many people find it too hard, they wont have as much business, I don't mean veteran collectors, I mean the newcomers.
What actually sparked me off was them telling me I couldn't attach my list of parts in a spreadsheet.
Now come on, all of you must admit that is backwards.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I have noticed that all replies come back with an exclamation mark - querying something in the order, or just the thank you - I guess someone just likes exclamation marks a lot !! !!

Never really worried too much about their antique payment methods - kind of hard not to respect a place that sends the stuff first and waits to get paid. Not the sort of service I guess people are used to, no wonder there are so many complaints.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Gee, I started something here.
Don't get too serious about it all, I know they have great prices on a lot of parts, my comment was they difficulty in dealing with them.
Ultimately if too many people find it too hard, they wont have as much business, I don't mean veteran collectors, I mean the newcomers.
What actually sparked me off was them telling me I couldn't attach my list of parts in a spreadsheet.
Now come on, all of you must admit that is backwards.

PBR is backwards in their ordering system and is confusing to newcomers. Absolutely correct. Taken in context, they are backwards as compared to "modern" ordering systems such as Marco, BAA etc etc.. ..The sellers that use modern ordering systems are more expensive and deliberately overcharge handling and shipping. I'm used to it, so it is no problem for me - But I've have seen the frustration "first hand" and helped newcomers to either get used to the PBR system, or order for them as I order.

The speadsheet issue is a strange one. I've never used one to order.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Online credit card payment systems and other electronic payment methods (not including bank transfers) are so open to fraud its not funny.  Keep in mind a credit card chargeback can occur 60 to 90 days after the transaction has taken place.
Unless the vendor physically has the card in their possession, swipes it and visually inspects the signature (unless is a pin) at point of sale, you expose yourself to potential fraud.

Then on top of that you add the paypal fees, or merchant fees on each and every transaction.

Now for a proper e-commerce site like Marco Spec - you'd be looking around $60,000+ to get it setup, all inventory listed, photos, prices, shipping modules etc and its a tonne of work.  You'd need to employ a full time person just to keep it running, up to date and secure.  That would equate to around $50,000+ per year in salary alone.

We've all seen the free e-commerce sites which are clunky, impossible search engines and terrible layout.  Others try to use Facebook etc....

Yes PBR are not using up to date payment methods.  Would it be easier for the customer, yep.  But I've ordered from them probably around 20 times and is not that hard.

They have been in business a long time and have been quite successful.  Once online transactions become bullet proof they may look at it.  I have no doubt they've looked at it, made a risk assessment and simply chose not to.