Author Topic: Star trek the next generation diverters not working  (Read 1135 times)

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Star trek the next generation diverters not working
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
I have been mucking around with this non working machine all weekend, and finally have the machine running.

but it is shooting balls on to the P/F by itself, im sure a lot of you know about this problem with STTNG.

So its because the diverters are not working to load the balls to their expected positions under the cannons and VUK.

i have power at the coils but the coils will not fire in solenoid test, the coils have not burned out, grounding the coil tab makes them fire ok, same grounding the TIP 102.

Help please.

Ian

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

The power for the Diverter coils is from the Aux Driver board - the little board mounted in the top right hand corner of the head. Check the transistors there.

Also - if the wire looms for the cannons have breaks in them, then you will get these issues.

So check ;

Single drop target is working ?
Divertors are not stuck on - you will hear / smell this - check Aux Driver board.
Cannon looms - bothe left and right - check them for continuity. I ALWAYS replace these looms and most of the problems disappear.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection

The power for the Diverter coils is from the Aux Driver board - the little board mounted in the top right hand corner of the head. Check the transistors there.

Also - if the wire looms for the cannons have breaks in them, then you will get these issues.

So check ;

Single drop target is working ?
Divertors are not stuck on - you will hear / smell this - check Aux Driver board.
Cannon looms - bothe left and right - check them for continuity. I ALWAYS replace these looms and most of the problems disappear.

Thanks Nino, i did check all of the above.

And as usual it was something very simple, as this machine was purchased not working some board plugs were unplugged and just laying there, i found a home for most of them,  but the sound was not coming out of the top speakers but there was no where to plug the speaker wire, i found a plug in the wrong spot on the sound board and unplugged it and plugged in the speaker wire, sound all fixed.

the plug i pulled from the sound board had two black wires going to it, i studied the driver board specs in the manual and it said j103 to 8 driver board (aux driver board ) plugged it into j103 done the solenoid test and all is good, this plug was ground to the aux driver board.

Diverters and drop target working fine now.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Hmmm i have two flashers in the back box not working,

I have a wire with a plug, it actually has two plugs on it but i cant find where it should go, wire colours are blue/white
and green/white. this wire comes from the back board and conected to the flashers.

Ian

Im thinking it may have some sort of piggy back system off connector with the same colour wires on the Aux driver board in the top right corner !@#
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:52:03 PM by 63wizz »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I can take off my Star Trek Next Gen translite and have a look where the 2 x wires go for u if u want.  back in 3 minutes.

at the computer boards end, the blue/white n green/white wires run to plug J125.

the blue/white goes into the 2nd slot, and the green/white goes to the 4th slot. J125 has one single connector on my machine, but yours may have had 2 x seperate plugs which will sit side by side anyway.

ofcourse at the other end, every globe connector gets 2 wires so its easy to see if a wire is off anywhere.

hope it helps !  ^^^
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:33:53 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Mine has the connector at j125 with two wires on it.

I was thinking something strange at the Aux driver board  plug J3,  this connector has the same color wires....

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
i looked at what u are talking about, there is a male plug that plugs into a female plug.

the wires plug onto both sides of that plug, next to each other in the 2nd and 3rd slots, on both opposite sides of the plug. are your wires off there, or just need repressing on properly with a connector tool. ?

if it aint working, u can take a photo, or i can take a photo of mine.  ^^^
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:09:44 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
so have u worked it out, or is the 2 x off wires running somewhere else. ?  !@#

wires from the back of the translite flasher/bulb area only run to J125 area and under.

if it is something else, u need to take a photo so i can help. i can look at the aux driver board if u want and report what mine has ?

I will take a pic tomorrow, have a look at Aux driver connector J3 if it's not to much trouble thanks.

Online Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Is this the one??

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Yes thats the board.

heres some pics, the flashers on the back board note wire colour

the spare plugs i cant find a home for these come straight from the flashers.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
I know exactly where they go. they plug into a double sided male plug that is plugged into the top far right small board in the headbox.

I will take a photo tomorrow.  ^^^

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection

I had a feeling it was something like that.
One of the driver board connectors does the same thing.
I didn't want to plug it together like that In case it blew a transistor.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:00:48 PM by 63wizz »