Author Topic: OT but related... Ball bowler  (Read 4484 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Re: OT but related... Ball bowler
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
Well as usual, things go in fits and spurts.
I didn't know it had been so long since I first piddled with the bowler.
I bought a few parts it needed and after putting them in, let the thing sit for a while before breaking it back down due to it taking up so much space. It's a long walk when you need to get to the other end and behind one of these things.

The family will be gathering at Mom's house for Christmas and she asked me if I could bring the game over for the kids (of all ages) to play. I thought maybe it was possible to get it fully working so pulled it back out and started putting it together. I cleaned a few steppers and got the flash motor de-gummed and working.

short detour: "Flash" is one of six games you can choose to play on this machine and reportedly one of the funnest. I don't really get it yet, but it seems kind of cool. It has a continuous motor which scrolls lights across the lane and you need to time the lights with your shots and if you get a strike or spare, you get big points. Pretty cool what they were able to do with motors and relays back in the day.

So I have been cleaning up steppers and score reels and such and checking out wires and switches. The more I dig into it the more I realize it's in pretty good shape for a 1961 game !! The biggest issue on the thing is simply dirt and sludge. Any lube has turned to syrup and cleaning off the dingy makes it darned sparkly. I'm stoked. I have maybe a half dozen stepper mechs to clean up and about 20 more score reels to go through. It's a lot of cleaning but if I spread it out a little every day it won't break my back.

So long story short, I fully expect the thing to be fully working and delivered at Mom's house by Christmas. I ordered and should be receiving new replacement pins by the end of the week or Monday at the latest. They'll only take 15 minutes to install. I just now ordered a bunch of bulbs and they may not be here by then, but the game will work OK with some of the bulbs off. There must be 500 bulbs on the damned thing (exaggerating, but still...).

If I have time I'll try to shoot a short movie and show off a bit. We puffy Americans love to do that.

More later.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.