Author Topic: More overlays  (Read 383 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
More overlays
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
I guess it depends on what sort of collector you are... those that cherish each machine and preserve whats left or those that head for the quick fix quick buck..

Heres ANOTHER machine offered for sale with a BRAND NEW PLAYFIELD OVERLAY... this time though, it is a BALLY MATA HARI

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MATA-HARI-PINBALL-MACHINE-Bally-1977-/290681719076?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item43adfb0924

Can someone please tell me at what stage replacing the PF artwork with a sticker becomes a good option??
This practise seems to be coming more and more popular and yet it really is the WORST thing you can do to your machine. IF i am presented with a machine that has an overlay, then i have a machine that is a big project... the PF is rendered useless and im up for another or a repro... at NO POINT does this add value to your machine.
I know technology moves on and digital print is popular.. mainly because it is cheap and looks very effective...and thats the point... IT IS CHEAP.. and is also a very quick solution.,

I know its a throw away society and i guess when this peels or wears through.. you throw it away and get another.
The crime is that the original artwork has been thrown away to make this option work...

Such a shame

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
Re: More overlays
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
New Playfield overlay - professionally fitted

didn't know you could get a job doing this
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
most of these overlays look like crap anyway, just a cheap and nasty way out as far as im concerned  !*!
hard to tell though from the pictures, a decent camera would've been good, plus learn to spell  :lol

Im wondering with these overlays is it necessary to cut them out where the posts/parts screw down to prevent them from lifting? as it is with mylar??

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »
The colors appear ( in the photos at least ) to be a little wishy washy !@#
Not as vibrant as the original artwork.
IF the original game was just bare wood then maybe this guy saw it as an easy fix for a game that was not going to be a keeper *!@

I bought a KISS overlay yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago JUST IN CASE I ever needed it.
As soon as I unwrapped it and saw the 'glossiness' of it I knew my opinion of it.
Hence it now hangs on my wall.
It looks GREAT as a wall hanging
It would look rubbish on a game.

Anyone got an Embryon overlay  #@# :lol :lol :lol

DW Drums rule !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »
I have only seen one machine in person with an overlay, it looked like crap

the trick is you need to stick it down perfect, so there is no bulges or bubbles
where the inserts are means there is another layer for the light to shine through
there is also the color matching for the person who did the overlay

If a playfield was toast, the wear was larger than a business card, and there was little chance of a reproduction being made (ie any Gotlieb game) then sure, make an overlay

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
  #*#
If a playfield was toast, the wear was larger than a business card, and there was little chance of a reproduction being made (ie any Gotlieb game) then sure, make an overlay

Seen CPR lately - Joker Poker coming  #*#
DW Drums rule !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
I have only seen one machine in person with an overlay, it looked like crap

the trick is you need to stick it down perfect, so there is no bulges or bubbles
where the inserts are means there is another layer for the light to shine through
there is also the color matching for the person who did the overlay

GOTTLIEB repro playfields will be made... some titles are already under production. People like Wade Kraus make a few titles that are true to original.
Gottlieb take a different approach... each reproduction has to as good in quality and materials as the original... or if you can prove a better material whilst retaining originality then its production will get the go ahead. At no point will GOTTLIEB sanction overlays, either whole or part of a playfield.
In all honesty, im suprised that apron overlays were sanctioned... but this was mainly due to the fact that manufacturing aprons is not within the means of most. I did at one point approach GOTTLIEB and suggest a rescreening option, where the apron would be sent in, then sanded back, rescreened to original and returned to the owner.
Although the idea was considered a good option, overlays were already available and so aprons cannot be touched by anyone else.
Is is however something i shall be doing for my own 70's GOTTLIEB aprons

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
 #*#

Seen CPR lately - Joker Poker coming  #*#

cool, but I do not see it on the pre-order page

Sorry, my post was not meant to be a dig at Gottlieb, I love their machines, but CPR has only done Bally, Williams playfields and a few Stern Plastics. Haunted house playfield was on their agenda for a time, but is no longer going to happen

EDIT 2
Yes, they have done Gottlieb backglasses, I have them both
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:45:51 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »

Most of the overlays are rubbish and because they are not licensed, they are often crap. I've seen KISS and Playboy overlays and they looked disgusting. At least the seller stipulates that there is an overlay installed. He has a few other Bally classics from this era in his garage, and he lives around 5 minutes from my place - but I've never heard of him.

I've put my name down for a Mata Hari Playfield from CPR and I'll wait for their backglass as well. This is a classic game that deserves the full treatment.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »
New Playfield overlay - professionally fitted

didn't know you could get a job doing this

:lol :lol :lol
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »

Seen CPR lately - Joker Poker coming  #*#

^^^ I'll be getting a couple of those for sure.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »
Mata Hari is a great game, again a game that brings back yesteryear to the late 1970's when I first got my young hands on one.

The colors appear ( in the photos at least ) to be a little wishy washy !@#
Not as vibrant as the original artwork.

Judging only from the images, the colours are quite washed out and "just not there".  Had a quick look at some images on ipdb, and the reds and blacks are really not up to the mark at all.  I have no idea how good overlays can get in terms of authentic colour reproduction, but in this case, I would say not there.  Personally, I would take a bit of a beat up PF as compared to overlay, me thinks.

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
Got a couple of overlays my self and I wouldn't use them(space invaders,space shuttle,INJ) on any of my keepers.

Must of been a heavy used machine as the colours look faded and to replace the playfield with a overlay says it all.

Hope he didn't try and put a coat of clear on it.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields