Author Topic: Hankin Cocktail Table Restoration  (Read 31946 times)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Hankin Cocktail Table Restoration
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
Hi guys
Would appreciate it if someone could assist me with some connections that remain on my Hankin cocktail restore.  I have the buttons and joystick connections from the Jamma harness all sorted out but am having a little difficulty with the connections from the power cord, the on/off switch, the monitor chassis and the switching power supply.

The Hankin cocktail table originally had an old transformer, a line filter, an older switching power supply and the on/off switch all connected together.  I'm told I can dispose of the transformer and the line filter now so that's what I have done.

I have attached a few pics detailing my predicament.

Regarding the first 2 x pics below, can someone please advise whether:

*  the power cord is plugged directly into the AC terminals on the switching power supply and if so does it matter where the brown and blue go?
*  Does the green ground wire plug into "FG"?

OR

*  Does the power cord plug into the on/off switch and like wires are routed into the switching power supply?

*  Also - what should the 5V ADJ knob be set at?

Regarding the below pic of the monitor chassis, the 2 x black wires here appear to have plugged into the old transformer.  Re the new switching power supply, would these wires now plug into the AC terminal on the new switching power supply?

The Video red / blue / green /synch / ground PLUG as detailed in the pic differs from the new plug that came with my Jamma harness.  What are my options here?  Should I cut the old, solder the like wires together and cover?

Regarding the numerous black grounding wires that came with the Jamma harness - what needs to be grounded exactly  Should all buttons be connected also?

Any assistance appreciated for this newbie - I will not be electrocuting myself either guys

STOP IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest you get a licensed electrician to wire up your AC power on your cabinet.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but from what you described you have done, you will start a fire in your cabinet or blow up your monitor chassis or your arcade board (or all of the above)
Whoever told you to remove the old transformer was COMPLETELY WRONG.
The transformer is required to supply the 100V for the monitor chassis and to isolate it from the mains supply.
From the photo of the power cord it looks like a 2 terminal power switch you have installed, if it is then if you connect the power and turn it on you will be connecting the active power straight to the neutral and you will probably burn a big hole in your cabinet BAD!!
The correct way to connect it is to have an inline fuse on the active (brown) cable and pass the active through the switch, so that only the active is switched off.
You can get 2 pole switches that isolate both the active and the neutral, but I am not sure if the current regulations require that for a game cabinet - SHORT STORY, GET A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN.
The green earth does go to the FG connection on the power supply.
I imagine that an electrician will fit a junction box inside the cabinet so that all the items requiring 240V can be connected, power supply, 100V transformer, fan etc.

------------------------------
Now to the stuff you can do:

The 5V adjustment would normally be set to 5.25V, as the 60in1 board that it looks like you have cannot take more than 5.50V or you will damage the board.
Make sure you check the voltage with your multimeter BEFORE connecting the JAMMA harness wires and adjust as necessary.
Once you are happy with the voltage, connect the JAMMA harness WITHOUT the game connected and check that you are getting the 12V and 5V at the correct pin connectors (refer to the pinouts I posted)

Only once that you have done this should you connect the game board.