Author Topic: Getting a house built  (Read 824 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Getting a house built
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:53:35 PM »
Getting a house built

Difference between a franchise and a local builder?

I will be getting a new house built sometime over the next 12 months
Yay
I have been around and seen different prices, which is confusing me more
To get a hous built by a franchise builder (like Simonds homes) costs $XXX
To get a local builder who is not a franchise costs $XXX + 20%

Is there so much of a difference that would encourage me to spend that extra money?
(I have tried reading what is included in the building but it all seems the same to my untrained eye)

Pete

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Getting a house built
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »

We built with AV Jennings.

I'd stick with a franchise as I hear small builders are going broke left right and centre. Simmonds were our second choice. Metricon built some really nice places in our area.

Franchise builders sometimes sub out to local builders. You are contractually protected within a franchise agreement. Local builder goes broke and you are left with a half finished house.

:2cents:
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »
I am leaning towatds a francide that doesits own building, rather than have other build fo them

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:21:22 PM »
I built a Metricon 6 years ago and its been fine.  A few minor issues where a subbie stuffed up over the years, but to their credit they have come back and fixed the wrongs on each occasion. 

A local builder will cost you quite a bit more per sq/m.  My next house would probably be a Porter Davis or a Henley as their designs look sensational.  If you go with a volume builder, just ENSURE you let them know that you are not the type of person who will accept 1/2 arsed workmanship and always keep abreast of each stage and regularly visit the job site.  I used to leave quite a few windows slightly ajar (as they lock you out of the building until you take possession) and get into the house weekly to look around for any problems / errors.  That was HUGELY valuable!!  If you do that you should be fine.  Remember that you get what you pay for!

Also try and plan for future proofing and anything you think you'd want in 3-5 years etc (if you do plan on being in the joint semi long term)... I did.  My idiot family kept telling us the house was gonna be too big.  Then we had 3 boys!!  Its a large house but perfectly suited to our needs.  I now wish I had a 3rd garage and a theatre room etc.  That will all be in my next joint.  Just my 2c worth

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »
I am leaning towatds a francide that doesits own building, rather than have other build fo them

At the end of the day they're all subbies. A large company can and do go bust and can leave you all the same problems as the small builder. Research is the key and be prepared for some stress during the build.

Legally you have no right to check progress or be on site without the builder, but most people get around it. If you have no building experience I'd suggest taking someone along with you during your after hours visits.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:35:06 PM by RottyGuy »

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »
Up here in Nth Qld, plenty of the franchises have been going broke - unsure of the stand alone blokes whether they are as well.

We just had friends build a house with a franchise and in my opinion it is a useless house.  The kitchen is way to small, living/dining is OK but there are some design flaws in terms of bench positioning etc.  Main bedroom is too small and the garage is stupid - 5.5m x 5.5m.  All this stuff could have been easily changed with a stand alone builder, but the franchise would not allow hardly any changes to their few house designs.  What is the point of spending 300k on a house when you have a garage that can only just fit in a car (admitedly a 4x4 - but its not as though they are rare these days...), with no room to walk behind and only just enough to squeeze in front - and forget putting a work bench or shelves in there - let alone a few pinnies!  A garage should be at least 7m deep unless you will only ever own small cars and never intend to use the garage for storage or do any shed type work.  Also they really scab on things like fittings, paint schemes etc and make a big fuss if you want to deviate from the standard, whereas most stand alone blokes would be fine with that sort of thing.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:46:52 PM »
Would go the franchise builder. Not sure with other states but in SA, what I have heard is that a lot of the good subcontractors have gone back to the franchise builders for stability and volume of work as things are slow. Good time to build, good luck with it
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:31:45 PM by tonyt »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:07:20 PM »
I have been dealing with "Builders" and brand new homes for 17 years and do alot of alarm installs and have done alot of camera work with well known companies like Metricon, AV Jennings etc etc. I have seen many many go broke, but a few have always stayed healthy which is good.

Metricon is a little pricey, but very good at its follow up. AV Jennings has been big in NSW for decades etc etc. I would ONLY stick to a large company, and it pays to look at their profit/loss statements for the previous and current year to date which they will be happy to provide (the banks wont release monies to these companies unless they can prove they are trading in the black etc).  It pays to stay with a company that is healthy. You just have to be careful that a company like Metricon, who might be up 100 million for the year on its home building business etc, isnt 120 mil behind on its big commercial shopping centre/high rise business etc. In this financial climate, you have to play very safe.   Do ya homwork and speak to a finance consultant/or the bank who will have up to date info on how these companies are trading profit/loss wise.

Stick to a proven and already used house design, it will save around 25percent compared to a oneoff design you get drawn up.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »

Stick to a proven and already used house design, it will save around 25percent compared to a oneoff design you get drawn up.  ^^^

This is where i disagree - the franchises will say its a proven and popular design, but they are looking from the point of view of ease/cheapness of construction to make the most profit.  Yes there are some OK designs put out by these sorts of mobs, but if you have a few particular things you would like in a house, many of them won't budge.  I would much prefer to pay a bit more to build something that is the most practical for my living needs.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
I won't even start by des-c-r-i-bing my place.......I had plans drawn by an award winning architect then built it myself over 10 years.…...
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 10:47:44 PM »
Pete, read up on Homeone.com.au
I would suss out if the big franchise builders can service your area first  - can't imagine a subbie wanting to drive too Ballarat and head back too Melbourne each day.
Stick with a local builder and like the guys said above - check out their work.
SC.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 01:51:54 AM »

Yeah, but none of them include a 'Kick-ass games room' as standard  ()

Pete, read up on Homeone.com.au
I would suss out if the big franchise builders can service your area first  - can't imagine a subbie wanting to drive too Ballarat and head back too Melbourne each day.
I speak with a lot of tradies at work, I am amazed at how many live in Ballarat and comute to Melbourne for a job, and vice-vera

Stick with a local builder and like the guys said above - check out their work.
Yep, some of the companies mentioned do not build in Ballarat
I went to a display villiage near Deer Park a few months ago, most of the complaies there I had not heard of

Thanks all, you have given me good advice
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:58:11 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
Pete, no matter whether you use a major or a minor (but more so if a minor), make sure that the progress payment schedule reflects the percentages set out in the regulations (you are allowed to vary them, but I wouldn't agree unless a very non-standard project). Never have money with the builder that isn't for work tht has been fully completed. If you like most are relying on bank funding they are strict on this anyway, but contracts are often signed up between the builder and the customer without any advice, so keep an eye on that.

As mentioned earlier, there are some builders with real issues at the moment. I have quite a few small builder clients, and a couple (and one in particular) despite being apparently strong and having a good reputation is on a knife edge and could easily end up failing.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
Pop B Pete and Rob are correct about most standard builders not having a design already on the books to suit a VERY LARGE arcade room. So yes, u would have to search high and low to find one that does have the biggest of biggest family/rumpus rooms to support the pinball machines.  *%*  When u find one Pete, get the building company to rename it "Pinball Design House 101". Then the rest of us can use it for our next house designs too !  ^^^

I would stick with a standard design and stretch a room, or add a massive room to that design. Because these guys have built these houses hundreds of times, they can get the costings down and build time down as well. Anything designed as a one off by a architect can be very expensive cause architects dont like to design standard houses and put their name too it if its a bit plain. The more the roof lines change, the more the price goes up etc.
Either way Pete,if u do find a great design with a kick ass arcade room designed into it, it would be great to see the design on here for all us space ravaged hobbyists.  ^^^
God luck with your house build Pete, and hope all your family has lots of fun with finding the right house.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
CoT, that is  what I am trying to do
I will find a plan that is almost right, then get a games room added
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:53:50 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »