Author Topic: Thread moderating - Post scoring and tilt warnings  (Read 3384 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Thread moderating - Post scoring and tilt warnings
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
Just saw this on Pinside where they upgraded in the last 24hrs with a new version for the forum section.

Each post can be scored with different ratings and then you can tilt a post that has no relevance or is questionable in content. After two tilt votes the post is hidden and can only be seen by the people placing a post in that thread if they wish to open it. This aids the guys starting a thread or particiupating in a thread to hide crap posts and keep it clean and eventually the crappy posters will give up.

I think with recent requests by guys about serious threads in relation to AC/DC and WOZ can assist in moderating the crap from a thread.

This would be a great system if ever you up grade to a version that has these features.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-forum-post-ratings-coming-soon
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:13:26 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
A) I think that Nick and Nino get the moderating of this forum right most of the time
I would like it more if they posted general warnings when a thread get heated, rather thab wholesale deletion. Vut it is theie site, their rules

B) I do not think that AP has enough asshole posters that we need more rules

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
A) I think that Nick and Nino get the moderating of this forum right most of the time

Thanks mate!

I would like it more if they posted general warnings when a thread get heated, rather thab wholesale deletion. Vut it is theie site, their rules

I'll take that on board, but we only really delete when posts are potentially defamatory or insulting of a member etc, and in those cases its best not to leave them, and in some cases could create legal liability if left.

Only seems that way due to the wholesale deletion!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I think you have misunstood the suggestion.

It's nothing against nino or nick - they do a awesome job and this site is great because of the hardwork that thy invest and dedicate for all of us to benefit.

Where I was coming from is in link to what you Pete, ant and caves have made statements of threads going off topic and you have to then sift through pages of rubbish. This is a tool for those posting in a thread to put a tilt warning to hide it and you can still view but allows reading through a thread a little easier.

I totally respect the guys that provide this site for all of us to enjoy, so please do not confuse me with complaining just a suggestion based what another site is doing to control the same sort of issue.

Otherwise just simply say - nah not for us.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I depends on what addons are avaliable for the forum software
AA is 'Simple Machines Forum'
Pinside, runs on different software, and from the looks of it, it may have a few programers on the site

I do not see a need for a change, sure some peole may not agree on a subject, but I am not of the opinion that people here are holding grudges against each other, or see other members as a targets as to how much poking they will take before they break

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I can see the Pinside mod is a kind of "self moderating" feature which is not part of the SimpleMachines feature set. I feel that it would not be beneficial to the way the forum runs as we may have an issue like members "ganging up" on a particular member - and then it would add more overhead for us.

I look at it this way - We have a "two moderator" system which has done well so far. I think the Pinside system adds another level that is not really needed here. I don't really pay too much attention to the way other forums are moderated, but I hope it works well for them.

But I understand the context of the question, Swinks, and it is not a bad suggestion at all. I just don't see the need.

I would like to suggest that if a member is not happy with a thread or post, then simply select "Report to moderator". Nick and I act on that almost straight away.

Thanks for the kind words Pete  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
We have a "two moderator" system which has done well so far.
Make that "2.1" moderators hehehehe, i happily moderate the owners list with no clutter or crap ;-)

I don't think this forum has big enough problems to become over-complicated with addons, and the main mods are "onto it" when things are reported....don't fix it if it aint broke!

my 2c.
MM.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
a system like that is made redundant by good moderators. agree it does open a chance of ganging up on members. imo the less power you give people the better i like not having the responsibility lol, report post feature certainly does the trick.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Just saw this on Pinside where they upgraded in the last 24hrs with a new version for the forum section.

Each post can be scored with different ratings and then you can tilt a post that has no relevance or is questionable in content. After two tilt votes the post is hidden and can only be seen by the people placing a post in that thread if they wish to open it. This aids the guys starting a thread or particiupating in a thread to hide crap posts and keep it clean and eventually the crappy posters will give up.

I think with recent requests by guys about serious threads in relation to AC/DC and WOZ can assist in moderating the crap from a thread.

This would be a great system if ever you up grade to a version that has these features.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-forum-post-ratings-coming-soon

I think that would be the worst thing you could add to this forum in a 100 year period. (I want to add i like Swinksys posts and ideas all the time, but not on this one, but i realise its only a suggestion, just one i do not see any need for).
The forum needs to have some personality and fun to it. Some human personality is what makes it fun and interesting. What makes a forum interesting is people. Having the forum like a robotic restoration only textbook is good for restoration info, but alot of people do not do restorations, and this is where the fun and energy of topics like AC/DC and WOZ are so good for the forum. These 2 x topics arent about text book repairs or restos, but more about peoples actions, ordering a new machine and their hopes n dreams n feelings. Feelings and hopes n dreams is what people enjoy and like to talk n read about. New info, photos n videos etc.
 It all adds to the personality of the place, as can be seen by the fact that these 2 x posts are the most popular ever on AP.

The forum over recent times (the past 12 months) has lost alot of its personality, with quite a alot of people just reading, and not many people as in past times, doing posts. The last thing u want to do to this forum is moderate it more and more with click boxes that delete posts or rate posts and slide them off into obscurity. That stuff sucks the life and fun out of these forums and posts. The rules abouts posts supposedly going off topic are already a bit too tuff in my opinion, which PB Pete aluded to, but its from serious members wanting everything to stay serious like a wikipedia site, which i do not agree with.

Theres a time for being a million percent serious (resto threads etc) and theres a time for some fun and personality with other posts etc. Making the place more and more and more serious, which some people have suggested will slowly but surely suck the fun and life out of this forum.
AP forum is a place for people to meet, talk, share feelings and dreams, likes n dislikes, its not Wikipedia or a textbook forum. We need to keep this place fun and interesting.

Take the fun and personality out of the WOZ thread, or the Members who have ordered AC/DC threads, and the viewed numbers/posts added would be a third. The place needs fun and peoples personalities on here. Why does every subject, every post have to be serious like a funeral parlour ?
Keep the place fun. Keep the members coming, posting, viewing and sharing. We need to build the place up, not lock it down like a wikipedia.

and yes, the MODS do a great job 95 percent of the time, leave the forum the way it is, but people need to remember posts need to be interesting and fun, as well as informative. its a forum for people , not robots/machines. We need to read posts, enjoy them, add to them, not judge everything like its a critics site, which has happened a bit in the past. Rate the posts, not the person. As Nino says, play the ball, not the person. Lets keep the fun and interesting people coming back on here.  ^^^
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:43:01 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I'd vote down 'walls of text'  <.>

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I'd vote down half line posts.  <.>  %.%  thats why I am not a critic.lol   
Good thing about a forum, is that if u dont like a post, u just move on to the next one. I like 99.99 percent of everyone's posts but.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I think what i donot like about voting on posts or theads is the anonimity of it

This is supposed to be a forum, a place for discusion

I don't care if you agree or disagree whith something i have posted, I just wany to heat your thoughts on the sybject

Lurkers suck

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Not everyone feels qualified to post on certain subjects.

Without so-called lurkers we would have a much smaller membership base, and I for one appreciate their support of the site with their attendance even if they are readers and not posters.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Yes, Yes ..... &^&

I did not think about all the issues, and like you all, I want and value good discussion as it makes for a good forum. Though I don't always agree with how some people deliver a response.

A dud idea, forgive me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:09:50 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Yes, Yes ..... &^&

I did not think about all the issues, and like you all, I want and value good discussion as it makes for a good forum. Though I don't always agree with how some people deliver a response.

A dud idea, forgive me.

We encourage ideas, and they are open for discussion for all members. At least it has members discussing the merits of the Pinside system. Some of your ideas for the forum (reviews and mods) have been crackers. Fantastic ideas.

This section's purpose is to present ideas  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia