Author Topic: POOL SHARKS RESURRECTION  (Read 3395 times)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: POOL SHARKS RESURRECTION
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »
The boards needed all the header pins replaced?

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:40 PM »
nearly every set had rust on them and to remove all the corrosion and to seal the board with clear lacquer properly all had to be removed.
Plus I get them at a very good price from my supplier.

On every board every fuse holder and fuse was replaced with new parts due to corrosion, Every component on the power supply was replaced with new parts. nearly every track on the power supply had corrosion and the overlay (the green stuff covering the copper on the tracks) was lifting everywhere due to the corosion

Every component on the Interconnection board was replaced with new parts.(except for 1 resistor, i could not find a resistor with the same value)

Every diode, capacitor, bridge rectifier, Resistor and the relay on the Aux board was replaced I removed the rust from the transistors and re used them.

Nearly every component on every board had rust on them.

The sound board was the only board that only had minor damage but all the I.C. sockets had to be changed and all the electrolytic capacitors where replaced.

The only reason the MPU / Driver board was replaced with a new one was because the cost of all the components alone was nearly as expensive as a new board.

It was more economical for me to rebuild the rest of the boards than to replace them with new boards.

I just thought i would explain why I replaced all the components.

You are doing a top job Milsy on this restore. and the Black Knight 2000 Clock you sent me is absolutely stunning. If your restoration work is anywhere as good as your clocks then this will be one nice machine when it is finished.

I am very pleased to have had a part in this resto ( as i am with any resto that i help with on AP)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:31:29 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
Thanks Andrew for your description & explanation of the outstanding board work you performed.
Some may wonder why I would bother or go to the expense  with this rust bucket   @.@
As I have done most of my repairs / restos on EM,s - I like te experience on the later electronic games (I seem to learn more on the practical side) & when it is running (Hopefully) I will have a later machine to play.

Even though Pool Sharks is a less  popular machine, & it will owe me less than $1000 (excluding my labour of course) - It should work out ok.
Stay tuned for more updates on the Pool Sharks resurrection (not restoration)  :lol
pinballaustralia.com

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 05:50:04 PM »
nearly every set had rust on them and to remove all the corrosion and to seal the board with clear lacquer properly all had to be removed.
Plus I get them at a very good price from my supplier.

On every board every fuse holder and fuse was replaced with new parts due to corrosion, Every component on the power supply was replaced with new parts. nearly every track on the power supply had corrosion and the overlay (the green stuff covering the copper on the tracks) was lifting everywhere due to the corosion

Every component on the Interconnection board was replaced with new parts.(except for 1 resistor, i could not find a resistor with the same value)

Every diode, capacitor, bridge rectifier, Resistor and the relay on the Aux board was replaced I removed the rust from the transistors and re used them.

Nearly every component on every board had rust on them.

The sound board was the only board that only had minor damage but all the I.C. sockets had to be changed and all the electrolytic capacitors where replaced.

The only reason the MPU / Driver board was replaced with a new one was because the cost of all the components alone was nearly as expensive as a new board.

It was more economical for me to rebuild the rest of the boards than to replace them with new boards.

I just thought i would explain why I replaced all the components.

You are doing a top job Milsy on this restore. and the Black Knight 2000 Clock you sent me is absolutely stunning. If your restoration work is anywhere as good as your clocks then this will be one nice machine when it is finished.

I am very pleased to have had a part in this resto ( as i am with any resto that i help with on AP)

Wow, that's amazing. Sounds worse than any PCBs I've ever had come across the bench. I've seen some pretty awful Bally 80s MPUs riddled with corrosion that needed dang near everything replaced, but this beats that!

Definitely a labor of love!

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 01:08:45 AM »
On the final leg on getting this machine running  $#$
Finished inside cab repair
Repainted the legs, Refitted the boards
Some more picts :

pinballaustralia.com

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 01:12:32 AM »
Legs painted,boards & PF refitted
pinballaustralia.com

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
Final stages.
Unable to locate apron decals so i cleaned up the artwork with photoshop and printed and applied waterslide decals.
Also cleaned and repainted the coin door,lockdown mechanism and other metal pieces inside the cabinet.

Drop targets to be refitted then ready to turn machine on.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:34:36 PM by millsy »
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
i cant access those last photos cheers

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
Nice work on the apron  ^^^

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »
FINALLY FINISHED and EVERYTHING WORKS and MACHINE PLAYS GREAT -just waiting for a backglass to arrive to add the final touch  $#$
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 07:34:43 AM »
Great effort, looking real good now!