Author Topic: 2013 Pinball Show - where would the best place be  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
If a booth or a commercial center is so expensive, why have it at an inner city venue?

Local councils have large halls/venues
I remeber in years goneby going to model railway expos in Camberwell and Box Hill.
Large places
Or even a convention center that is part of a Motel complex, I know of a large modern place up the road from work that we would have trouble filling with machines

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
If you want to start small and build then a suburban venue such as those suggested must be affordable and also supply a reasonable amount of power.

Then again, Wotto's idea of tagging along with a bigger exhibition may have legs as well.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
If you want to start small and build then a suburban venue such as those suggested must be affordable and also supply a reasonable amount of power

Thats exactly what expo '09 tried to do... seem to remember criticism from all sides regarding the venue  !@#

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
But our ain is different
Wr are trying to reminf people that pinball still exists, 09 was tryning to ofload a container of crap

If we tie ourselves to another event, we will hsve a small cornrr and hsve yo play by their rules
Having a sysnd alone event will give us more flexability

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: 2013 Pinball Show - should it be combined with:
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »

For the AA v AP thing to be non existant, the mods from both AP and AA need to get along really really well, and to my knowledge, they wont even talk. If things were to change, it would be good for all peoples to attend a pinball expo type event. Maybe the competition of having a AA desk and a AP desk at the last expo was a good idea, but ultimately, it may have caused more competition, which is probably not a great idea given the history ?

Funny, I don't remember seeing an AA desk at the last Expo? I can assure you there was an AP desk.

Members from both forums supported the last Expo with their attendance. I only had one person display any animosity (and maybe that is too strong a word) to AP. All the other AA people were great. Pinball was the winner...

I can assure you that both forums were invited to have a stall for expo 09... only AP accepted. On the other hand certain people from AA planned to sell pins outside the venue in an attempt to sabotage it because for one reason or another, they didnt want it to happen.....roll on a year and AP are not invited but only AA were to have a stall mainly due to the agenda of one certain person.. this is not malicious talk on my behalf but is fact.
This is why any pinball show would only be successful if the organisers were impartial to both forums as suggested earlier.
I know... its all VERY silly.. but it is what it is

100% Correct. Expo 2010 - I was hoping to bring along at least one restored game for people to play before the event became overrun with agendas. Sad really.

However, I agree 100% that an Expo must not allow interference from Forums or Dealers. All should be invited. The Expo should be central around promoting pinball. After all, most of the bigger collectors I know don't participate in forums, or buy parts locally. But they would enjoy a room full of pins and each other's company.

With the hobby growing so fast, and the influx of newbies on the scene, politics should be left to the nuff nuffs in Canberra.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
My 2c worth.....

If anything is going to happen, the organiser/s need to decide whether they want to cater to the existing collector/hobbyist or target new people and try to expand the hobby.

For the existing collector, somewhere regional e.g Albury would be worth considering.  Venue hire would be cheaper, there is ample accomodation around town, direct flights into Albury from Sydney and Melbourne with either REX, Qantas or Virgin Blue and it is roughly half way by road between Sydney and Melbourne.  Somewhere like the Kinross Woolshed for example would be ideal.  They hold major concerts there so power would not be an issue, the have food and grog and plenty of room.  Attendees can make a weekend of it like many car clubs do that hold meets in and around Albury.

If you want to try to reach out to as many people as possible then it has to be in a capital city, preferrably Melbourne to try to encourage the various parts suppliers and retailers to attend.  They won't attend if it is too far away.  It is simply not worth their time to rent a truck, load it up, travel to the venue and cart it all back again.  As has been said, the organiser/s MUST be impartial and offer the same options to each and every retailer.  No restrictions on what they can and can't sell at the venue as was the case in '09.  Easiest way would be to charge them by the square metre for floor space.  Although AMD is not in Melbourne, they do have distributor/s that can fly the flag on their behalf I'm sure.

A way to possibly raise funds to hold the event as opposed to holding an auction may be to raffle a machine or two??????

Anything is possible with some $$$ behind you but more importantly the passion, co-operation and understanding that you simply won't be able to please every person no matter what you do and how hard you try.  Anyone that has a crack at doing something like this should be applauded and assisted in any way possible.
Addicted to pins.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Wr are trying to reminf people that pinball still exists, 09 was tryning to ofload a container of crap

Very harsh indeed. I travelled from Adelaide for this event and would not hesitate to go every year, even if it was the same format and at the same location.

Unsure how you think something like this would have been paid for back then when you have a pinball community so divided you can't get dealers and parts suppliers in the same room for the good of pinball.

It was great in the US seeing Marcos, Illinois Pinball, Cliffy, Bay Area Amusements all next to each other at Pacific Pinball Expo.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:47:09 AM by tonyt »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Heres what Practicalsteve from pinside had to say as I started a thread there as these guys are experienced in enjoying and running these type of shows.

"The best shows I have been to have these elements:

1. Either just pinball or pinball mixed with arcade, I like both, really just depends what you can get in there. Lots of shows offer free admission if collectors bring in one of their own machines to play.

2. Tournaments, can be laid back and casual or as in depth and long as you want to make them.

3. Vendors or a swap meet flea market- lots of shows have either a flea market in the parking lot were people can sell old machines, or parts vendors inside, I usually pick up a lot of parts at shows.

4. raffles or giveaways- you may be able to get some of the big names like stern to offer a prize you can raffle off for free publicity. some shows will have old or even new machines they raffle off, you just make the ticket x amount of dollars and sell only as many tickets as needed to make up the cost of the machine, most shows that have this sell out of all the tickets quickly and the cost is made up.

5. guest speakers or how to clinics or a history lesson. If you could get someone big in the pinball world to give a talk that would be great. Anyone that knows a lot about repairs could give a how to clinic, or if you have someone who is knowledgable they could give a walkthough and give a history of the machines.

As far as forum conflict I have never experienced that.

You could hold it at a hotel convention center, some kind of show hall, any place you could rent with a lot of power for all those pins."
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Well guys .....Comic Con in The States wrote back to say they knew nothing of an Australian version of their 'brand'
^&^ OMG why don't people ever do the right thing  ^&^

So, regardless I found the site for Oz Comic Con Adelaide and Melbourne shows ( currently running here ) and have emailed them asking if they plan to run future shows in Oz and their interest levels in pinball's as part of future shows ( however if you refer to my 1st sentence they may get SHUT FRICKIN DOWN by the 'real' Comic Con guys due to using their name  &^&)

See what happens next.

DW Drums rule !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
The way to go is to form a committee of dedicated like-minded people from both forums with the drive and time to make a Pinball Expo happen. The exact legal structure would be best left to more instructed minds but I imagine an incorporated not-for-profit organisation could be the way to go.

The committee needs to be entrepreneurial enough and inspiring enough to find the money to underwrite the event, build a website, organise people to bring machines, organise techs for the event, organise raffles and so on.

Start small and build. Don't need a lot of dollars for advertising for the first one, just get people from both forums to attend and get them to advertise to their friends and a bit of paid web advertising could help. Send press releases to various media, maybe you will get a few bites. If you can get some TV coverage at the event all the better for next time. Maybe someone knows people in the industry?

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
The way to go is to form a committee of dedicated like-minded people from both forums with the drive and time to make a Pinball Expo happen. The exact legal structure would be best left to more instructed minds but I imagine an incorporated not-for-profit organisation could be the way to go.

The committee needs to be entrepreneurial enough and inspiring enough to find the money to underwrite the event, build a website, organise people to bring machines, organise techs for the event, organise raffles and so on.

Start small and build. Don't need a lot of dollars for advertising for the first one, just get people from both forums to attend and get them to advertise to their friends and a bit of paid web advertising could help. Send press releases to various media, maybe you will get a few bites. If you can get some TV coverage at the event all the better for next time. Maybe someone knows people in the industry?

Sorry AJ - not being a smart ar$e but that's GOT to be a gee up - right?
Nearly 100% of what you suggested has been attempted with APA , nearly word for word 'business plan' even down to having the legal side of things covered and a website, being a non profit organisation etc ......and it is just floundering as a committee

I apologise if it ISNT a gee up and you were unaware of APA but mate - that aint ever gunna happen in the NEAR future IMO  #@#
Hence the opening / contributions to discussions for 'other ideas'
DW Drums rule !

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
We gotta get away from this whole forum thing.  It has been and continues to be the downfall of any plans to hold some type of expo.  the only thing to worry about here is 1 - assembling a group or committee to run the thing fairly without bias or favour  2 - can the event be funded  3 - can the event find a suitable location  4 - can a reasonable number of machines be supplied to play, buy or even just look at, if it means 30 or 40 machines or not even that then so be it, aim for more the next year.

Impartial organiser/s who offer the same packages (i.e floor space and costs) to anyone in the pinball industry or anyone interested and drop the entire forum V forum thing.  We know that just ain't gonna work. The aim should be to simply promote and enjoy pinball, not promote this forum or that forum.

End of the day, I don't think it would really matter where on the East coast an event took place.  Guys in the hobby will travel for something worthwhile.
Addicted to pins.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I am very green but very keen

What about a decent hotel with a large function room/s (like what the guys in the US are doing) or a leagues club that gets plenty of people in the door on weekends to add to the extra exposure - they wouldn't have alot during the week so loading in and out could occur before and after. Find one / few that would have an appropriate space and ask when there quiet times are through the year and at least the costs should be less than a entertainment centre / large function halls etc. Aim for Sydney or Melbourne or Brisbane but more the out skirts eg in Sydney out west Penrith, south Cronulla, north Charswood but still in range for accommodation on site and close by. Also another place could be a large school hall in the middle of a holiday break, money raised through entry fees and comp fees is donated to the school. Major cost is probably insurance.

Have a show for mainly pinballs but also open to other arcade including pin-mame to aid in getting numbers.

Aim for 50 + machines, with AMD, RTBB and any other parts suppliers, Norbet from AMD could run a maintenance class, talk about how to become a operator, Ant68 could get Jack over  *.*, stall showing how to pimp out a machine, another stall showing a awesome restore by say el timbo, the guys organising the show promote it on the forums but everyone agrees to not have any forum stands just a simple advertising banner at the show to avoid devision as it lets people coming decide - as we are all pinball enthusiasts (all on level ground). If people ask you have the choice just to say you are a collector and nothing more.

Have a EM section (15), SS section (15), DMD section (20) then a few new sterns. Machines brought in by pinball guys supporting the event, and other members bring in so 60 in 1 cocktail tables and collector cabinets.

No auctions, but maybe allow the guys that how a machine on show that is playable over the weekend to be available for sale as the new owner could give it a good session.

As a extra touch make a brochure that lists all the places to buy pinballs and parts (detailing the guys that want to pay a small fee for the exposure) and the do's and don'ts in buying a pinball for the newbie to aid to first experience being a good experience. This brochure is issued with the entry ticket. The fees for the brochure cover cost of printing but also contribute to the show costs.

Friday arvo / night setup and test and people contributing have a night playing pinball.
Saturday day / night, visit, check out the machines and play , meet people, kids comp in the morning, night comp that could be recognised by papa.
Sunday day,visit, check out the machines and play , meet people and a after party

Contact a mobile coffee van, snack truck, fund raising groups that hang out at Bunnings to supply sausage sandwiches, Mr Whippy ice cream vans etc (if at a school) so no cost to the event but feeds everyone and maybe they offer up a fee to the school for the positive of getting constant business for 2 full days.

Entry - Saturday fee higher than the Sunday as a bigger day
Comp fee - pay at the time and slightly cheaper if prior to the event

Promotion - AMD, AA, AP, Facebook, radio stations, tv, council, schools

Repairs - get a few people to lock in on a morning or arvo towards servicing assistance

Surely there is a electrician amongst us that can aid in tag testing.

2 Biggest Challenges - getting people to lock in pinballs for the show, getting peoples awareness to come to the show. I sure there are many other things but somethings don't have to be so complex, more raised as a barrier not to do something.

I know that I have zero experience and probably missed on many things but wouldn't it be great.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:03:52 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Over a year ago, I found a government owned building which would be absolutely perfect for a Pinball Expo. I even went as far as organising/gaining permission to hold a Pinball Expo if I wanted, with minimal cost. (lets say close to being next to nothing).
The building would hold around 100 or more pinballs, has ALL the facilities u would need, incl toilets, full canteen/food services etc etc etc. I could hold a pinball expo there anytime since i know the councillor, local police chief etc etc very well. (I did all their security Alarms/Cameras etc etc).

BUT i only own 35 ish machines, and u need triple that for a whiz bang Expo. There are very little AP members in QLD, and the AA fellas up here are large in numbers, who could make up the numbers etc. BUT, would the AA guys work from a MOD level down to do something with AP people.?

I have never asked because of 2 reasons, 1. the level of forums working together has never been huge in the past, and 2. all the AP members are all way down south, in Sydo and Melbourne.

If I made a HUGE effort to make something work, take all my machines which is a good start etc, invited other industry people etc, it just seems it is all too far for the people I would want to make all the effort for, all the AP people who live too far away.
And if I did try to do something, some people would say he is being a wanker with a big head who is trying to do something etc, so u can see why I havent tried before really. But the effort I would make so to speak, wouldnt be for me, it would be fopr pinball and for AP people etc.

For it to work, I would want a sitdown with the a AA mod representing that forum, and a AP mod representing AP, AT THE SAME TIME.lol but would that happen ? and would it just be too far for all AP people who are way down south ? thats why i never really tried, and would probably just put it in the too hard to do basket.

Mate...mate... mate...sigh....

What the frig are you on about?? Rocks in the head or just not thinking.

OK... so you got a lot of DMD... ive got a lot of 30's, 50's, 60's 70's machines... i also know of other people who would be willing to contribute games, inc some EM " oddities" that show the developement of games from all eras.

Can get plenty of different games mate.... and would do it gladly

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

OK - I'll say it again.. Dealers and Forums should NOT have an influence over the organization or running of a Pinball Expo. Whether it is AP, AA, Arcade80s, Pinside or RGP - The focus should always be on PINBALL - NOT forums !

The hobby is MUCH BIGGER than any forum or dealer. Yes, Expo 2009 was successful in some areas, but it was not due to a dealer, or a forum. We were merely contributors. There was FAR MORE interest in Coconut Island and the Dinner than the auction.

The success of any Expo will be the collective ideas from hobbyists, collectors and industry people. But not all these people are part of forums or dealerships.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia