Author Topic: Painting assistance required for quantity levels of paint needed  (Read 167 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
BOY I hope that title was good enough   #@#

OK painting experts.
I have found an excellent local paint place that can match / mix any paints for me  #*#

What I am wanting to know is how much paint would be required for a cabinet respray in certain area's.

Lets use the RED area on the Joker Poker cabinet as the example.
So if I had the cabinet primed and then the white base coat finished how much 'spray paint' would I need to purchase JUST for the RED.

This guy sells paint matched and thinned in a ready to go ( just pour and spray )  fashion for $30.00 a litre which I reckon is pretty good - not only that , the dude is a local ex international AWESOME footballer  *)*

Any replies would be truly appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:56:00 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Hello Wotto, I was attracted to your post by the sensational title, and couldn't help but reply.

I have no idea how much paint you will need.

Actually, I sort of do - I used spray cans prepared by my brother for my JP. I didn't keep perfect track, but I am pretty sure I bought six and used four for the reds, and two for the blacks with some left over. However, the colour depth is much greater than the original.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Thank-you for your kind comments about my title skills  <.>

OK - so I reckon 2 litres of red and 1 litre of black then.

@@*

DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I use Automotive Acrylic Lacquer from Paintmobile.

Primer filler - 4 ltr - buy in bulk.
Base Coat - 1 ltr is more than enough to do one cabinet
Other Colors - 1/2 ltr

I thin using automotive thinners. All products from the same store. I take in the cabinet or pieces of the cabinet for an exact match.

The paint is thinned to suit the gun. Probably 50/50.

Three primer coats. Two topcoats. This paint dries in 10 minutes. I did the primer and base on the Pro football in a 3 hour period.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Would be almost right.... RED on JP is pretty much a full cab spray... youd only need 1 ltr each colour id say... you dont want big thick levels of paint... is all done thinly and you should be able to cover all the red in 2 light sprays... you never keep spraying till you see a solid colour as you use a ton of paint unnecessarily.
1 light coat.. allow to almost dry.. then another light coat is all you need