Author Topic: Paint Matching Service - unsure if this has been posted before....  (Read 350 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Hi guys

OK - so I have been struggling with the idea of JUST getting a 'close' red / orange' spray pack paint for the Joker Poker.

I HAD been planning to go and get some paint mixed 'ready to pour and spray' at a local paint shop - but have since been told their stuff isnt that good.......so this morning I go to a local panel beater and after a long chat about painting this cabinet ( the kid was excellent ) - he told me that Auto One stores match colours for you and load em into Spray Packs - for $30.00 a can. Considering that 1 litre of the panelbeaters paint was going to be $90.00 I see the $30.00 a can as good value ( I couldnt use the panelbeaters paint OVER my spray pack prime and base white due to a chemical reaction that would apparently occur - rendering the job SH&THOUSE  :lol )

So I go to Auto One and the guys are SUPER helpful and explain that MOST Auto One stores around Australia offer this service and that they do a LOT of custom work for guys who do custom motorbike restores etc etc. If you know the paint code ( I did thanks to the panel beater kid who assisted me in finding a CLOSE match ) then it is simple - otherwise the Auto One guys said they can do 'whatever you want'.

In the end I got 4  x 325g cans of 'Falcon Blood Orange- paint code HO' for this Joker Poker re-spray - as it matched up VERY closely to the original paint on my cabinet from UNDER the coin door surround frame. As long as I dont clear coat over it - then it will remain a 'satin' style of finish which is what I am looking for.

Here is a shot showing a 2 second spray of the colour I got mixed.
I just shot a load  :lol of it in this spot BEFORE I started any clean up work of the cabinet front to see how well it matched up.
There was a white semi circle here before
Pretty frickin sweet I think  ^^^

Just thought I would share this ( possibly unknown  *!@ ) info today - please feel free to wait until my JP has been done before rushing out and grabbing this stuff if we all just want to make sure it is OK - but I feel pretty confident it will be good after the panel beater kid explained a few things to me.

^^^

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:51:58 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
looks promising.Is the spray can an acrylic paint or an enamal.What colour matching codes do they need etc.Soo many questions!! $#$
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
* Enamel

* If they have a paint code form an auto / vehicle paint then they are LAUGHING and can make the paint instantly.
* Otherwise this guy said just bring the cabinet in and he would match it anyway ( unsure if THAT is the level of service available at ALL the outlets but it is what this guy at Shellharbour offered to do at any time.

I will obviously show the results of this ( hopefully good ones   !@) ) in my JP restore thread.
DW Drums rule !

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Whenever my dad re-paints my cabinets, he chisels a small piece of wood off from under the rails and takes it into Bunnings to match the paint (short version of this process). Will show him this thread. Might be handy for his next restore.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Whenever my dad re-paints my cabinets, he chisels a small piece of wood off from under the rails and takes it into Bunnings to match the paint (short version of this process). Will show him this thread. Might be handy for his next restore.

Cheers!
Adam.

Cheater ! Your Dad is doing all the hard work  :lol
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Thanks a lot for the heads up Wotto  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$