Author Topic: ADVERTISING PINBALL + TV ! whats your choice of machines to use in the Ad.  (Read 377 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
    !@#    Just for the fun of it.

*IF u wanted to advertise Pinball to the whole of Australia, and you had a dozen TV commercials to do it with, what 4 x pinball machines would you include in the advert to promote the pinball hobby to its best ?  !@# !@# !@#

my 4 x machine choices would be -

AC/DC Pro
Transformers Pro
Fishtales
Star Trek Next Generation

AC/DC gets all the music lovers, Transformers markets to the kids, Fishtales to anyone who likes Fishing, and STNG for all the trekkies out there. I thought those target markets could capture alot of interest.lol  ^^^

What 4 x machines would u guys pick for the advert ?  !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Captain Fantastic
KISS
Black Knight
Fireball

Hobbyists are not really into later Sterns, and they are out of reach of most budgets. If you had a hobbyist that could afford an AC/DC, they would need to be into the band. A hobbyist with that sort of money would go for something in their youth. We are mostly in our 30's and 40's. So has to be from the 1970's - 1980's. You show a picture of a Tron, Avatar or AC/DC to someone he used to play pinball when they were young and they might be slightly interested. Show them a picture of Captain Fantastic and it automatically reminds them of "the good old days".

Personally, if I had $6000 I'd buy an Ironman or CSI. I'm not an AC/DC fan, and only a handful of fans I know that have seen AC/DC actually like it.

From a market perspective, I get asked for a KISS, Playboy, Paragon, Black Knight at least once a week or fortnight. Hobbyists that have mainly late model games are not comparative with the amount of collectors with EMs, SS and DMDs from earlier years. These guys have massive collections and don't go near forums and have meets etc. You want to drag out these guys, you need games from their childhood. Certainly, when I have a display window, there will be older games, not new titles. TV advertising has to appeal to the market. Late model Stern collectors are only a very small percentage, in my opinion. The very latest you would advertise is maybe Medieval Madness, Cirqus Voltaire or at a stretch, Spiderman.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I would not use a licenced themed game
you are promoting pinball, not the latest 'Blockbuster'

Black Knight
Medievil Madness

(I will post another 2 later)

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane

Captain Fantastic
KISS
Black Knight
Fireball

Hobbyists are not really into later Sterns, and they are out of reach of most budgets. If you had a hobbyist that could afford an AC/DC, they would need to be into the band. A hobbyist with that sort of money would go for something in their youth. We are mostly in our 30's and 40's. So has to be from the 1970's - 1980's. You show a picture of a Tron, Avatar or AC/DC to someone he used to play pinball when they were young and they might be slightly interested. Show them a picture of Captain Fantastic and it automatically reminds them of "the good old days".

Personally, if I had $6000 I'd buy an Ironman or CSI. I'm not an AC/DC fan, and only a handful of fans I know that have seen AC/DC actually like it.

From a market perspective, I get asked for a KISS, Playboy, Paragon, Black Knight at least once a week or fortnight. Hobbyists that have mainly late model games are not comparative with the amount of collectors with EMs, SS and DMDs from earlier years. These guys have massive collections and don't go near forums and have meets etc. You want to drag out these guys, you need games from their childhood. Certainly, when I have a display window, there will be older games, not new titles. TV advertising has to appeal to the market. Late model Stern collectors are only a very small percentage, in my opinion. The very latest you would advertise is maybe Medieval Madness, Cirqus Voltaire or at a stretch, Spiderman.

Spot on!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
The TV advertising would be designed to attract both new and past interested parties to the hobby/collecting/purchasing/restorations etc.   hence the few new sterns, and some dmd machines for those who may have teenage memories etc.

does that change the list u might then pick guys ?   !@#

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Not at all. You want to angle for newbies, you start with a cheap game to see if the newbie has an interest in the hobby. There is no way a newbie would buy an AC/DC unless they were an AC/DC fan. Same with WOZ. Same with CV, MM and TAF.

Every single newbie I've introduced to the hobby buy their first game under $1000. Even that is pushing it. Show them a Captain Fantastic to hook them (memories of a lost youth), but introduce them with a playable EM from the same era. They need to find out if the "get it" or not. Bally Supersonic, Gottlieb Sinbad, Williams Flash, Stern Meteor - these are classics. All have spent time on the market under $1000.

Buy an AC/DC, Tron, Avatar, MM, CV and that's an expensive attempt at getting into a hobby. AC / DC would be a very bad choice as the resale will be less. AC/DC needs to be used in the arcade to earn a keep for operators, or go into fan's gamesroom's - which is a fantastic idea.

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Where does Lost World ( Bally) rate in that era?
That is the pinball I remember most from my youth along with 6million dollar man and supersonic.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Where does Lost World ( Bally) rate in that era?
That is the pinball I remember most from my youth along with 6million dollar man and supersonic.

Lost World, $6MDM, Supersonic - All classics from 1977-79. Most manufacturers got it right in this period.

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
I would not use a licenced themed game
you are promoting pinball, not the latest 'Blockbuster'

Black Knight
Medievil Madness

(I will post another 2 later)

Yes but how many people new to pinball would have heard of BK or MM ?  I'd use the licensed themes to attract new people.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
If you use a licenced theme you are locking in on a perception
Th getaway - revhead
Playboy - pervert
Kiss - head banger

Whereas a CV or Funhouse - fun for the whole family

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Personally, I reckon we should attract ALOT MORE revheads and perverts to the pinball hobby.
Nothing goes better with a pinball collection than a very sexy woman and a fast loud car. (thats why they invented Viper Night Drivin by Sega.lol)

Also, dont forget, there are alot of people out there who have alot of coin, and 6 grand for a pinball machine would be peanuts, so having new sterns in the advert would attract the rich people. But, Nino is correct, u need some older machines that also give some of the older people some memories from when they were kids as well.

I made it only 4 machines to make the exercise harder ofcourse. choices. choices.  !@#

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
If you use a licenced theme you are locking in on a perception
Th getaway - revhead
Playboy - pervert
Kiss - head banger

Whereas a CV or Funhouse - fun for the whole family

I think KISS is a bit soft for head banging, but i get your drift. Don't totally agree with though.

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
thats a bit of a weird one, brett you'v got too much pinball on your mind (i know the feeling) would be best to show your whole collection that way u could cover all bases now that would look good!!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
To us pinball collectors, there is nothing wrong with having 4 or 5 pinball machines, or even ten times that, but the first thing most people say when they see so many pinballs is that they think u are completely nuts, addicted, a sandwich short of a picnic.   $!&

Here is an example, imagine walking into a persons house and you see they have 40 cats, whats the first thing that comes into your mind ?  yep thats right, the person has a mental problem, (the 2nd thought is that you want to let go of a large rottweiller and watch the action.lol)   but if you collect pinballs, you say, oh how cool.

If someone got on TV and showed off a large collection, the public might think we are crazy people, hence the 4 x machines only was the pick for a decent ficticious TV add, and seeing 4 machines at someones house might send a subliminal message to say its OK to own 4 machines. That was the hybrid thinking behind 4 machines on a TV advert. lol

Daz, u havent picked 4 machines, get back here.lol and add those 4 titles please kind sir.lol  ^^^     

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
To us pinball collectors, there is nothing wrong with having 4 or 5 pinball machines, or even ten times that, but the first thing most people say when they see so many pinballs is that they think u are completely nuts, addicted, a sandwich short of a picnic. 
Daz, u havent picked 4 machines, get back here.lol and add those 4 titles please kind sir.lol  ^^^     
I know someone who think i am crazy for collecting pinball machines
He only owns 5 Mercedes Benz