Author Topic: How hard do you ‘nudge’ somebody else’s games?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
How hard do you ‘nudge’ somebody else’s games?
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:45:34 AM »
I visited another pinball collector over the weekend. He had a nice collection of machines. Nothing newer than 1995, one dated back to early 70’s.

I was invited to play, but I played poorly.

My host told me to give the games a bit of a nudge.

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
I would nudge about the same as I do my own machines and I don't slam mine.
Even if you did knock your own around a bit, it's just polite to take it easy on someone elses I think.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Play like you would at home.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Play like you would at home.

+1

Play them as if they were your own, but that does not mean beating the crap out of them. Whatever you dish out, is nothing compared to what players did while they were in operation. Having said that, I've seen "players" treating games badly if things are not going there way. I find that disrespectful.

You can adjust the tilt to prevent bad players from pushing your games around too hard.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
One thing i see alot of people doing when they play pinball (which is totally not required at all) is really bad slapping of the flipper buttons/or just hard slapping of the pinball.  After seeing this done by quite a few people when i visited Sydney last, it left me saying no wonder alot of sited machines have bad hand wear marks all around the flippers.  A good thing about having machines sitting closely and side by side, is that slappers cant get a big swing for a big slap, leaving them to play normally.  *%*

Its also annoying because there is a constant amount of loud slapping which puts you off your game when playing nearby. The other annoying thing is people yelling loudly when playing a pinny, another pain. I like to hear the machines audio, not people yelling and slapping the shit out of your machine. I should put up a sign, "No slappers or yellers allowed".lol  %.%   There should be some sort of pinball finishing school for the masses.

Question -How do u nudge someone elses pinball machine, I say carefully and always ask first incase people dont like that etc. Respectful and gentle with someone elses machines. And u dont know what the tilt settings are like either, so best to always check first !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
I have upmost respect for other peoples property and would never eat or drink over their machines. I am careful not to damage anything in any way. I will always wash my hands after eating before I play and I am not a slapper etc...that said, I will nudge a pin as much as I need to make a save. If I am too agresive then I will tilt and learn the limits of the particular game. Thats what Tilts are for and if someone doesn't like their pins nudged they can make it more sensitive. Easy ^^^

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
I find it is generally people who don't own their own pinball machines that can cause the most problems. My son had his girlfriend's family over, and her father around my own age wanted to play the pinnys. Fair enough he liked my Gorgars, phoenix, Flash etc so lit them up and let him go, well!!! this bloke went from mild mannered Clark kent to SUPERMAN in five seconds!! I let him go thinking he would settle down but in the end I actually said take it easy on the machines because if you keep doing that to them I will do exactly the same to you(not exactly in those words) and he knew straight away I was pissed.
I just could not believe that a bloke you struggle to get two words out of normally was "out of control" when playing the pins!

So you never klnow do you?

Jeff

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
One thing i see alot of people doing when they play pinball (which is totally not required at all) is really bad slapping of the flipper buttons/or just hard slapping of the pinball.  After seeing this done by quite a few people when i visited Sydney last, it left me saying no wonder alot of sited machines have bad hand wear marks all around the flippers.  A good thing about having machines sitting closely and side by side, is that slappers cant get a big swing for a big slap, leaving them to play normally.  *%*

Its also annoying because there is a constant amount of loud slapping which puts you off your game when playing nearby. The other annoying thing is people yelling loudly when playing a pinny, another pain. I like to hear the machines audio, not people yelling and slapping the shit out of your machine. I should put up a sign, "No slappers or yellers allowed".lol  %.%   There should be some sort of pinball finishing school for the masses.

Question -How do u nudge someone elses pinball machine, I say carefully and always ask first incase people dont like that etc. Respectful and gentle with someone elses machines. And u dont know what the tilt settings are like either, so best to always check first !

mate i agree. our shop pin is slap buy these yahhoo's who think they are pinball wizards lol. you see the wife having ago or the kid and the dad jumps in saying ill show you how its done and he starts slapping the buttons, lucky it not every one but its often enough you can almost predict a guy who is going to slap the buttons. as soon as he says he a is a pinball wizard from way back he will slap the buttons ahaha. its worst when they have a ring on. i dont nudge machine but people should always be respectfull to other people property

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
Should definitely treat someone else’s pin with respect, and I'd certainly ask before giving it a nudge.

That brings me to my question, what's the opinion on launching the ball with the shooter? Should you pull it back and let it fly, or hit it the shooter rod with the palm of your hand?

I had a mate over the other day and I cringed every time he launched a ball using the 'palm' method @.@

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
A little while after I rediscovered pinball I was invited by Marco (pinfan) to check out his collection. Now, the last time I had played pinball was in the arcades as a kid. He gave me a game on his Black Knight and I totally forgot where I was, I was playing like I was back in the arcade. I don't know exactly what I was doing but I was obviously being a bit hard on the flipper buttons. He watched for a while and then said really quietly: "yeah, I'm pretty gentle with my machines." I thought that was a really cool way to handle it, not referring to what I was doing but pointing out what he did when he played. I got the message and quietened down. After that, I changed my technique, now I try to push the buttons only as hard as is required. After all, if you are slapping the game your hand won't be ready for the next shot if the ball comes back at you quickly.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Bash the crap out of them, especially if his collection is better than yours  ()
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Should definitely treat someone else’s pin with respect, and I'd certainly ask before giving it a nudge.

That brings me to my question, what's the opinion on launching the ball with the shooter? Should you pull it back and let it fly, or hit it the shooter rod with the palm of your hand?

I had a mate over the other day and I cringed every time he launched a ball using the 'palm' method @.@

i dont know what you mean??? do you mean he doesnt pull the shooter out he just punches it??? wow

i slowly pull the shooter to the limit and let it fly nice and smoothly however again in the shop i do see some people hang off the shooter with all their weight lol, i only wish it would let go so they fall on their asses ahahaha

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat

maybe install late 70's Bally shooter rods, they have a pointed end

@OJ, this launching method moves the ball into play faster, it is just another 'show off ' technic, just like slapping the flipper buttons

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
A little while after I rediscovered pinball I was invited by Marco (pinfan) to check out his collection. Now, the last time I had played pinball was in the arcades as a kid. He gave me a game on his Black Knight and I totally forgot where I was, I was playing like I was back in the arcade. I don't know exactly what I was doing but I was obviously being a bit hard on the flipper buttons. He watched for a while and then said really quietly: "yeah, I'm pretty gentle with my machines." I thought that was a really cool way to handle it, not referring to what I was doing but pointing out what he did when he played. I got the message and quietened down. After that, I changed my technique, now I try to push the buttons only as hard as is required. After all, if you are slapping the game your hand won't be ready for the next shot if the ball comes back at you quickly.

Yeah that really is a cool way to handle it but just as cool that after you remembered where you were you took it easy. ^^^
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland

funny you should mention that, I had a mate who would always launch the ball by hitting the plunger with his hand,
he was excactly the same back in the day at the pinnie parlours,
One day he came to visit and check out my latest pin(at the time) CFTBL, he went off for a game and I didnt
even think of it at the time.. but it had the plunger with outward spike on it. Heard this almight "F%$^".... :lol

and to this day he has never slapped the plunger again... true story