Author Topic: New to Pinball machines  (Read 1804 times)

Offline nrh_racing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: New to Pinball machines
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »
Mine doesn't have a board for the thousand one but all the others have one for the 10-90, plus all the wires are hanging there un soldered, must be different to yours

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
Now that i got my pin all working i started to strip the playfield down to clean and tidy up.
Got it all cleaned and was about to polish but thought if you guys knew if i could get this swirling any better. Tried the eraser etc but couldnt get it any better then this, any ideas or just live with it

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
Novus, a product i never heard of till i got into pinball lol, now you know
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pinball-Novus-1-2-and-3-2oz-Bottle-Each-Polish-/150831268044?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item231e3e80cc
then i use car wax like mothers

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
You should be able to get it better than that.... magic eraser and meths. Eraser is funny stuff.. it works best when a little worn out. What you do have to remember when cleaning a pF is that the dirt is very ingrained. Unless your meths etc reaches it.. then nothing will take it out.. there is no magic vacuum cleaner. Your meths needs to soak in a bit to reach deep down, then it can dissolve the dirt and grease.. eraser just acts as a capillary action cloth and so sucks out any fluid, dirt. But if you dont dissolve it first, it will just sit there.
Another tip to M erasers.. move in small circles in one area then move the eraser with the grain of the timber.. it will suck out a lot more. If you feel it gripping/ friction then stop..youve done all you can and are now rubbing away the protective layer or worse still.. the paint itself. M eraser is midly abrasive. There is a point of compromise.. some dirt left but all paint intact. Sometimes you are lucky and can get it all out and still retain the lacquer finish... dont push hard and take it easy

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »
Thanks so much, magic eraser did the trick.
Still not 100% but much better, started to get grippy so stopped.

Will wax it tonight and start putting it back together

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »
Thought i would put up an update on how the playfield went. I'm really happy with it, i could spend more hours on it and get it better again but this will do for now.
I also got a new bit of glass for it too and yes the one of the popper lights stopped working as i took the picture %.%
Really happy i got the gate working too, you used to roll over "a" and "b" but it never opened because it was like shorting out one of the letter lights, now works a treat!

Now pulling the head box off and doing a once over on that.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 08:24:49 AM »
Playfield is looking great  ^^^.
Its always good seeing the reward for the effort put in on a restore or even a quick tidy up.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »
Very nice work, you must be pleased!

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »
Looks great, the colours really pop now! Thanks for posting you pics  ^^^

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
Thanks, I have decided to paint it now hopefully start on it next week.

Should i make the coin door work all original with coins etc or just leave it on free play??
Just wondering if it makes the machine worth more as it's more original, thinking i may eventual sell this to buy a good car themed pinball.   

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »
Thanks, I have decided to paint it now hopefully start on it next week

....What are you painting????

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:10 PM »
The cabinet and head, making stencils as we speak.  There is paint off on the corners and a couple of scratches here and there, thinking now it's all nice and shiny it would be worth painting

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »

Definitely a nice looking game - you have done very well ! Keep in mind, there is a lot of effort in properly repainting a cabinet and you also have to look at the return you would be expecting for your work. These Williams EMs are not collector's items, so by painting the cabinet, you won't be increasing the value by much. If you simply want the experience of repainting a cabinet, and the satisfaction of a full restoration - go for it. It is hard work, but very satisfying.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Thanks mate.
Yeah I think it's more the experience before i go down the track of a getaway or something like that, would rather stuff a cabinet of this value up then something worth a fair bit more.

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 10:57:17 PM »
Just rebuilt the chime unit, coils were burnt out plungers with missing tips etc.

New plungers and coils made up some bushes and it all works for the first time, but find it really annoying  %.% Great that it all works but may unplug it i think