Author Topic: Williams EM first start up  (Read 1131 times)

Offline nrh_racing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Williams EM first start up
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
My first pinball machine, Little Chief.
Fixed a few things and then came the turn of turning it on.

All lights up and sounds like it starts to reset but the coin unit just continues to click, the main score unit is going the whole time to which i don't know if it's meant to.
At this point the flippers and bouncers work and even returns the ball to the shoot, but once it does that the return coil then continues to fire as well, It doesn't reset the score reels either.
Its just like it doesn't reset set at the first turn on and then cracks the shits.
Still just playing around with it but if anyone has an idea let me know
Thanks

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Williams EM first start up
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
Make sure the switch on the coin entry isnt stuck on.. it needs to close and then open again

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »
There is something going on with that as it has an aftermarket switch that is wired in.
I just checked and it looks like the switch is doing nothing until i close the relay by hand then i clicks a relay but score motor keeps going and reels don't reset. I think somewhere on here said how to wiring a free play switch in?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »

Free play on EMs is a mod in the credit unit (in the head). There might be a button wired into your game causing the issue ?

The problem you describe is as per Gavin's comment. The coin switch sounds like it is "on".
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »
I will put some pictures up tonight of the coin switch because i think there is something missing.
I can manually reset the reset relay and all the reels reset which makes me happy  %.%

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »
After the score wheels reset, what happens (in sequence)?
Does the score motor still continuosly run?
pinballaustralia.com

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »
Just as an FYI .. the way it should work is
1) press start button (if credits on machine) or put a coin in which closes coin switch
2) step 1 pulses coin relay
3) a switch on coin relay closes causing reset relay to be energised

(off the top of my head)
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:20:41 PM »
Once the aftermaket switch (possibly a push button wired to the coin mech micro switch) is sorted and if score motor continues to run after score reels reset may be worth checking that a score reel 'zero position' contact is not dirty.

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
Will check those few things, when i manually close the reset relay and the reels rest the score motor still runs.
Will do some more testing tonight if i get a chance and will try and give you more of a clear idea.

What i do know is the soon as i turn the machine on ( underneath cabinet) the score motor starts from that, the start button does need to be pushed or if i do push it it doesn't change anything.

Another thing that i found strange and probably not adjusted right is the credit counter. If i manually spin it it doesn't get around to 1, lowest it goes to is 13 then around past the last number to the blank area. It's like the stop pins on the wheel need to jump the other side of the switches. Does someone have a picture of what it should look like at 1.

I'm thinking there is still something missing from the coin mech, so if anyone has a picture of my type of one that would be great. Will post a picture of what i have later tonight.

Totally forgot it still has a broken match unit in the head that i'm trying to source ( having trouble finding one) should i wait to get one of them before i do anymore diagnosing, maybe that helps it reset  !@)

Thanks so much for the help

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »
Mate... we need pics if possible of broken unit in head and the coin switch on the door.

The game is trying to get to start position.. so it is trying to reset. It cannot do this if a switch is either open when meant to be closed or vice versa.... the score motor will continue to run and run searching for the next logic step ( switch closure etc). You can try and override it by pushing the reset relay but it will do nothing as the game is still searching for the open/ closed switch.

post some pics of the areas suggested and we can go from there

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »
I doubt the Number match unit will have anything to do with the game not resetting because the concept for that is one (or more) switches closing to pulse the number match coil (to change the lucky number) and also you can disable number match via a jumper on any EM I have seen.

As Gav says, bring on the pics
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »
Ok here is the pictures of the coin door, you can see the push button top left of picture.

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »
Here is the picture of the broken match unit, and the ball counter or something that i think is set up wrong, this is when it is displaying a blank number past 36

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »
It looks to me as though the coin switch is permanently closed... the leafs are bent so much that one may be touching the other... straighten the outer one so its not touching anything and try to start the machine again

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
Credit unit looks Ok to me... the black bar rotates back till it pushes down on the top set of switches forcing both sets open... you should be able to pull the coil armature back so this spins round to ZERO position again when the 2 sets of switches are opened.. very common for these to be gunged up and not moving freely.
At the moment it is on maximum credits... wont affect start up as game is reading credits