Author Topic: Williams EM first start up  (Read 1132 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Williams EM first start up
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
Maybe the easiest thing to do would be unplug the coin door and then see if game resets .. I have never tried, but with credits on the game this should work
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »
Bent coin switch, didn't look to be touching but moved it more. Unplug coin door machine didnt do anything just lit up.

Plugged all back if, plugged machine in.
Score motor is not winding off its head ^^^, you can play the game and score reels turn for all players, but doesnt reset and sometimes a relay sticks, maybe the 0-90 one.
The lights don't light up right on the head, player indicator, ball number and even the display lights go away after a while, all the tilt works then the lights all light up again. Chimes don't work either.
Maybe i have to go over every connection, just got excited to turn it on  %.%

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »
Do i hear right that you can get a game from her??

Scores sticking... need to clean all these out.
Lights on and off.. more likely dirty contacts, meths on a small piece of card between the contacts will clean these nicely

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »
Yeah, i can play only 4 player though unlimited balls i think. can't reset unless i manually flick relay.
Think i'm will go through every switch relay and wire connection so hopefully it will do 5 balls and reset.
 i'm not to stress if everything doesnt work but want it to reset.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 11:33:07 PM »
You are in luck .
Both the manual and schematic are downloadable from IPDB

Here for the schematic
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1458/Williams_1975_Little_Chief_Schematic.tif

and here for the manual
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1458/Williams_1975_Little_Chief_Manual.pdf

Armed with both of those you can fix any fault on an EM pinball (with patience and practice anyway)

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
Thanks i have got those, been very helpful. It was one of the reasons i got this pinball machine actual.

Good news last night, after play it for about an hour with faults it slowly got better and better, is this normal, its like the contacts cleaned up or something.
I changed all the rubbers and most globes, heaps faster and brighter now.

So then i go to turn it on and reset the relay manually and notice a wire just hanging off one of the relays, i touch it where it should go and it flicks the lock relay off, this looked to be held the whole time. So solder that on, turn on, still have to reset manually, do that and its even more playable.

Indicates whos turn it is, scores well, lights up ball number etc.
Things it doesnt do is reset when it gets to ball 5, once it does get to ball five it continues to flick ball out but ball light goes out because i think it doesn't know what to do. So all in all its really close.
Even the start button works now,each time its pushed the crdiet counter moves  $#$
Will go over a few things tonight to hopefully sort the reset out. 

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:30:46 AM »
Great news .
Re getting better as you play it .. yes that is normal , the switch contacts are designed to be self cleaning (thats the theory anyway) so once you sort out the last gremlins and play the machine  regularly it should be sweet.
You will find the occassional wire comes off.. its due to vibration .
Not sure if you know, but the schematic is supposed to represent the state of every switch after the start button has been pressed and machine has completed the reset cycle.

I also strip and clean all score reels and all other mechanical assemblies .. makes the game play better and also increases reliability .
Most of these games have likely never had that done since they left the factory.

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »
Did not know the schematic pictured the switches like that, that will be good to know.
Just played it again this morning and after the fifth ball it held the ball, i pushed the start button and it all reset and lit up player 1 again  $#$

Now to work out how to change number of players and fix match unit

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Excellent  ^^^
Best and most enjoyable way of getting to know EM,s and learning as you go.
Did you feel good when something starts to work. #*#
Whens the next machine arrive  &&
pinballaustralia.com

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »
It is !!!!
When ever a new light lights up i get excited, pretty sad really  %.%

I was looking at a Williams Blue chip for $900 last light haha don't know how i would get that past the wife, it is all work though. Still like the project ones even though i ask you guys a million questions

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »
Blue Chip was my 1st pinball .. had it for nearly 6 years .. theme is a bit lame but a great game IMO 

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »
great work mate for your first pinball, i think i said on your intro post that i only started with my first pin less than 12 months ago and im onto my forth, and you should expect to have more lol
and going by your last post here yo uare expecting more already looking at the next one is a sign you have a pinball problem ahahaha ^&^

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »
Great to hear you're getting somewhere with this game.

Keep up the good work. ^^^

Offline nrh_racing

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 11:08:02 PM »
The pinball machine is working really good now, just one question should the bonus score 1000 to 10000 that lights up on the play field be added at the end of the game. It's like it only adds up to a total of 4000, u can hear the bouns unit clicking down but doesn't add for each click. Something with the score motor maybe

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »
Hardly ever on the score motor.. more likely on the bonus unit. did you pull this apart and reassemble?? If you did, did you make sure it aligned as before?
If you havent touched this then the contacts and wipers may not be making good contact. Bonus units should be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled.. they are part of the logic of any EM game. Often over the years these got lubricated or sprayed with WD40 etc... this gunks up and prevents the contacts from making properly. You need to make a scrape with a screw driver or similar on one of the legs and also a mark where it sits on the contact board. Take all this apart, clean with meths and reassemble. Dont use a marker pen to make your marks as meths will remove this and youll be up a blind alley ( reckon weve all done this at some point!). Clean all the brass buttons with meths, make sure it all moves freely and reassemble. The brass legs should sit directly on a tab on each click.. there is some 10mm adjustment that can be made with these by lossening off the mounting screws. Align and tighten the screws.
Do all this and you should get your bonuses registering.

What a bonus unit does is allow current flow to a set of switches... all tabs sit high on voltage and as the wiper moves over them it runs this circuit to ground.. this will pull in a relay further down the path, which then allows scoring, bonus lights to work, etc. If this is not working properly then youll hear clicks as it turns around but there is no path to ground and so you dont get the points you are meant to.
DDtoys i believe wrote a piece here on AP about pulling these apart and reassembling in Tips 101.. go look it up and follow it through.

Best of luck and report back any success.. we love hearing this kind of news!