Author Topic: Reliable pins?  (Read 237 times)

Offline Pinballesquire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
Reliable pins?
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the most reliable and least reliable pins from the 90s?

Are there some machines that just keep on trucking? How about ones that notoriously break down every other day?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Reliable pins?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the most reliable and least reliable pins from the 90s?

Are there some machines that just keep on trucking? How about ones that notoriously break down every other day?

Depends on where the machine has come from (ie dealer) or out of a collectors collection.

Certainly in my experience, machines that have been fully rebuilt, cleaned and restored by the 'backyarders' are 100% if not 1000% better than what a dealer has on the factory floor.  Collectors rebuild the machines to get them playing the same if not better than the day it rolled off the factory floor.  IF done correctly, apart from 6 month maintenance (clean, new balls etc) they should all be as reliable as each other.  In the home environment they are not on for 14hours a day being punished.

Most commercial dealers buy the cheapest machines, do the absolute minimum to get it 'working' then wack a huge markup on it.  Their primary goal is to make money and not care how the game plays or reliable it is.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »

Depends on where the machine has come from (ie dealer) or out of a collectors collection.

Certainly in my experience, machines that have been fully rebuilt, cleaned and restored by the 'backyarders' are 100% if not 1000% better than what a dealer has on the factory floor.  Collectors rebuild the machines to get them playing the same if not better than the day it rolled off the factory floor.  IF done correctly, apart from 6 month maintenance (clean, new balls etc) they should all be as reliable as each other.  In the home environment they are not on for 14hours a day being punished.

Most commercial dealers buy the cheapest machines, do the absolute minimum to get it 'working' then wack a huge markup on it.  Their primary goal is to make money and not care how the game plays or reliable it is.

Agree with you 100%  *%*

Offline Pinballesquire

• Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
You don't paint a pretty picture of pinball dealers. So you don't think some pins are built better than others? I had heard sega / stern machines are bit flimsy.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:18:11 AM »

+ 1

"Backyarders" are usually hobbyists who have an appreciation for the machine, and not for the amount of money they can make with the minimal amount of effort. Unfortunately, the standard of reconditioned or restored games has dropped significantly to the point of becoming alarming. It is a buyer's market, so the prudent thing to do is shop around and compare workmanship. The important thing to remember is that a collector or hobbyist always keeps their games in perfect working order, so it is always better to look at buying from someone who has the passion for the game.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:30:17 AM »
In answer to your question.  I have owned both Sega and now Stern machines and honestly can't fault their performance.  Yes they may feel and sound a bit different but as far as reliability goes, as the other guys have mentioned, once they are up to scratch they perform just as well if not better sometimes than other bigger name machines.  I would definitely throw Data East machines into that category as well.

As for dealers, yes there are some, not all, out there that will be happy just to take your money giving you false promises and hopes that your machine has been shopped out and is working 100%.  Don't rush into buying anything from anyone and do your research.  Typically a machine from a collector and/or forum member will get you a machine that at the very least is as described and more than likely will be working 100% and play very nice.  There are plenty of guys up your way that would probably be happy to inspect a machine for you and likewise if you are looking to buy a machine from elsewhere.  No-one likes to see a person new to the hobby get burned.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

The most reliable 90's game are Gottlieb System 3 machines. They are rock solid but apart from Stargate and Freddy's Nightmare, they are not players. Data East are VERY reliable machines if reconditioned properly. Late Sterns are also reliable. Bally / Williams are the least reliable, and the most collectible.

As with any purchase, if they are in good condition and reconditioned or restored properly, they will be reliable - regardless of manufacturer. But as all games have "moving parts", they can develop issues.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »
nino,you forgot cueball wizard.I have had mine for 8 years and i have not had to do a thing to it,not even a globe.I consider this a great player and great first pin,great theme also.imho
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you