Author Topic: White Water project  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: White Water project
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
Looking good !

If you want to match the factory color, just take the stripped (of parts) to a professional paint supplier and ask them to match the color and the finish. You will be surprised at how much you can learn with a professional. I never used 2 pac on any of my restores as that's not how it was done in the factory and it is overkill. Most of a DMD is covered with decals, so it is never a huge issue.

I have seen a few playfields cleared with a roller, and the general comment is always "I'll never do it this way again".  %.% But as a cheaper alternative, I can see it could be useful.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline baoyar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2014, 01:16:11 AM »
Fantastic work andtan. I've been trying to find a WH2O in the ACT but with no luck - looks like you have one of the only ones! Reading your post has got me scared for when I will (eventually) have to do my own repair/restoration work. Sounds like a nightmare! But I'm ready for the challenge.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »
Here is a few more photos, not long to go now #*#

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
Looking good Andy! I hope when it's done I can takes some video and share a few games. Keep up Th e good work. Z

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »
Great work  @@* nearly there.

Offline saldejums

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »
awesome work

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »
Update:

Well the playfield has gone back in and all the wiring connected so the time came to fire the ol' girl up. As I had not ever had this pin running before, I decided to do it in stages, with fingers crossed:

• Transformer with nothing connected, then
  • CPU board - yay it booted  #*#
  • with GI connected
  • with solenoids connected

No house fuse tripped, and no 'magic smoke' escaped, so I was pretty happy.

So far so good, so I now decided to put it into test mode to see how things were going. Here came my first problem, the 'escape' and 'up' buttons didn't work. A few hours later and some jumpers on the CPU board between U13, U14, and U15 and I had all the coin door buttons active.

Next I tried the solenoid test, this was mixed, some fired, some didn't, some were intermittent. I found that a number of fuse holders were loose, so tightened them up and a few solenoids started to fire and the intermittent ones stopped being intermittent. I still have to find what's stopping the lower jet bumper and diverter from working !@#

The next test was the flippers - Hmm, only one working, which was the upper right. Both the lower flippers didn't even budge. I had hoped it was a fuse issue again, but it was not to be. Someone managed to solder the outside coil wires the wrong way around  @.@. That little rooky mistake cost me a few fuses, a couple of drivers on the fliptronic board and new diodes on the coils.

I still have a number of lights to trouble-shoot, but I am hopeful that many of these will be simple little problems. I was thinking that the pin would be ready for a game in the next few days, but it's probably going to be another couple of weeks. I still need to order a new set of mountains as I'm a couple short - hopefully he will be back from fishing soon. &&.

That reminds me, seeing as there are a few people who aren't topper fans does anyone have a white water topper tucked away? I know I've got buckleys, but thought I'd ask (beg). Maybe Twisted Pins will finally get their repo made soon :tumble:

Cheers,

Andy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:40:44 PM by andtan »

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »
This is looking excellent, well done so far  ^^^
I think I want one now lol

The next test was the flippers - Hmm, only one working, which was the upper right. Both the lower flippers didn't even budge. I had hoped it was a fuse issue again, but it was not to be. Someone managed to solder the outside coil wires the wrong way around  @.@. That little rooky mistake cost me a few fuses, a couple of drivers on the fliptronic board and new diodes on the coils.

If it makes you feel better, I did the exact same thing by soldering the wire back to front lol
Not sure how I did it but I soon found out when fire works came from the back box  !!!