Author Topic: Ebay Simplified and Transparent Fees are Here - 7.9% !!  (Read 529 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Ebay Simplified and Transparent Fees are Here - 7.9% !!
« on: May 16, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »

7.9%

Just got an email from Ebay telling me they have a wonderful new transparent fee structure - 7.9% final value fee!

That's $158.00 for a $2K machine.

It's capped at $100.00 per item for the first 30 items per month. Very generous of them.

Ebay have a captive market BUT they seem to be overlooking something - once you price so high that it is attractive to enter a market, other will enter to take a slice. At those rates it would be worth a cashed up business creating a proper competitor.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
And that doesn't even include GayPal fees  ^.^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
And that doesn't even include GayPal fees  ^.^

Didn't think of that. Not sure what they amount to - but are we getting to like 10% going to them?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
I sold a machine about 2 weeks ago for about $1850 and my total fees including listing was about $52 which I thought was ok. At 7.9% would be around $150.....when do these new fees start?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I think it has started - info here - I couldn't be bothered reading through their self serving crap, not a fan

http://pages2.ebay.com.au/Hub/May_2012_seller_changes/Simplifying_fees/Updated_fee_structure

But you do get 12 free pictures - whoooowhooooooo!!

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
But fees capped at $100 for first 30 listings per month  (increased from 49.95) ^&^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
here is the page of the ebay fees.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/fees3.html

It DOES NOT go from $49.99 to $100 for any private selling, only store sellers pay up to the $100. I also phoned ebay for clarification and they say the $100 is only charged for stores,business\s and powersellers etc.

That means the upfront listing fee will be $3.50 if the item sells plus the $49.99 capped fee for private sellers. It does NOT go to $100 if u sell a pinball machine and u are a private seller.

Final Value Fees
Final value fees are charged only when your item has sold.
Final value fees are based on the final sale price of a listing (excluding postage)
Under certain circumstances you may request a final value fee credit  

Find out how final value fees are calculated for different types of listing formats
Auction, Fixed Price and Classified with Best Offer format

Final Value Fee
7.90% (capped at $49.95) First 30 listings in one month
7.90% 31+ listings in same month  

** To qualify for the cap of $49.95 listings must meet the Private Seller Eligibility Criteria above (which is >

Private Seller Eligibility Criteria
To qualify for 30 free listings per month members must have a Registered Address in Australia, and must not be a PowerSeller, registered as a business or a Store subscriber. Listings must be single quantity

* I will add that the EBAY fees page, and any general information/update pages are a DISGRACE because they are ambiguous/are not eassy to read/are meaningly designed and written to create confusion and are anything but transparent and easy to read. I think places like Gumtree and other sites are starting to really eat into ebay's business because the whole business model of ebays customer contact is the worst i have seen in my 42 years. EBAYs business planners/directors should be all shot at dawn for their misleading and shonky dishonest communication practices.

Every statement they use has 10 x snakes n ladders leading off to other pages and in the whole, I say it is done meaningly to confuse and mislead people. DISGRACEFUL X 1 BILLION.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:23:58 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Paypal is an extra 3% of the final sale price

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
EBay owns gumtree now I am pretty sure.
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

It does.

Great to see that private sellers have a lower cap, not sure why I got an email telling me about business fees. Wonder if it was a mistake or did anyone else get it?

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide

It does.

Great to see that private sellers have a lower cap, not sure why I got an email telling me about business fees. Wonder if it was a mistake or did anyone else get it?
I got it too
I am sure most people would prefer more complicated fees that add up to less cost!
What a way to sell a price hike!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Ok, so me selling my 2 machines over again would be 2X$100 capped plus $126 Paypal fees...= $326 which is 7.7% of total sales inc Paypal fees.
Not a cheap option is it?

Just to note, without the cap it would be $487.80

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
i got this listing also, and it seems very clear its $100 cap for any sales upto the first 30 listings, what is the cap after the 30 listings? as from what iunderstand people selling over 30 items a month are classified as none private sellers.
how many people will be making second accounts now??
i dont think ill be selling on ebay again.

those things you have prices you have posted cavey are the current fees
as for gum tree, its screwed, it is spam heaven if you have ever tried to sell on gumtree you will understand the spam and scams you receive and you cant tell the difference between a real buyer or a fake.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:17:23 PM by Olivia_jason »

Marty Machine

NOTHING's FREE !!!

They just shift the cost of photos and other services over to the final value fees, hence the rise to 7.9%.

They've sent this memo out several times in recent years, but the NEVER get it right....just as the first few fees on the list have been removed or discounted to the seller's advantage, they then jack up the remaining points of interest.

It would ALMOST be good if they didn't have a limit either, if you sell more than 10 items per month or whatever, then the fees kick back in again, so you gotta dribble your items out to avoid that....

I've begged them for years to simply REMOVE the listing fee, but they won't budge.
It's an uneccessary charge, and only fuels the greed and hatred towards ebay, especially when items don't sell.

Ebay COULD be king if they just charged 1% across the board and made it easy for EVERYONE.

one day......but it won't be ebay  ;-)
MM.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
i recon this all could start backfiring for ebay, they need sellers to make the place attractive soon it will not be worth while selling on ebay