Author Topic: Decals and 2pac clear  (Read 312 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Decals and 2pac clear
« on: June 10, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »
Making my son a power supply for his guitar pedals and would like to put a few decals on it and then have the local panel beater clearcoat it for me.
Can anyone recommend clear ink jet or laser sticker paper that would be OK to clearcoat.
Thanks

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Re: Decals and 2pac clear
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
Used to buy mine from the copier company but they dont seem to be around anymore  !@#
These look reasonably priced but havent bought from them before http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221043570033&fromMakeTrack=true
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »
I printed water slide with standard ink jet printer.. the clear didnt affect the ink at all even with using All purpose thinners to thin back.
problem with vinyl based decals is that the clear affects the glue and so you can get a rippling along the edges of the decal.
Your sprayer needs to do a fine mist coat first and then apply the finish.Issue here is that most dont want to do this as its 2 applications and so just go straight in with a heavy coat.
even acrylic crystal clear from a can affects the glue on decals.
KBS Diamond coat is guaranteed not to react with any other paint.. which it doesnt. havent used it on a  vinyl application yet though.. maybe i should experiment and find out?

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »
even acrylic crystal clear from a can affects the glue on decals.
KBS Diamond coat is guaranteed not to react with any other paint.. which it doesnt. havent used it on a  vinyl application yet though.. maybe i should experiment and find out?

Unfortunately KBS does react with the glue on decals, I found out the hard way  !!!

Point to note though, I didn't spray it, hand applied.  As you said it rippled some of the decals along the edges.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »
Thanks guys have just ordered clear laser water slide decals

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
Make sure its 100% dry before applying the clear or it will mist up and go cloudy. If this happens, you may never get it out again without stripping right back again. Hope your sprayer uses retarder to thin back, it helps eliminate the clouding

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
Thanks Gav