Author Topic: Data East Audits & Adjustments  (Read 736 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Data East Audits & Adjustments
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »
Can anyone tell me what no.3 "Replay levels" actually adjusts? Options are NONE, 1,2,3 and 4. I'm not really sure what difference these make to game play. Its referred to in the manual but with out explanation. Games a Star Wars but I assume others have the same option.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Data East Audits & Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
Further to that does anyone know how to turn on the save ball feature on this machine. Han Solo frozen in carbonite should come up on the DMD when the ball goes through from the shooter ramp and down between the flippers to quickly to save the ball. I've no idea how to turn this feature on though. The games set in "Factory".

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
Further to that does anyone know how to turn on the save ball feature on this machine. Han Solo frozen in carbonite should come up on the DMD when the ball goes through from the shooter ramp and down between the flippers to quickly to save the ball. I've no idea how to turn this feature on though. The games set in "Factory".

I was reading somewhere recently that the ball save in Star Wars does not function, although is programed in the code.  Apparently a collector somewhere O/S is currently rewriting the code to fix it and a few other things!

In relation to Replay Levels, I'm not 100% sure but I think the game self adjusts the score required for replays.  So if you suck like me it changes to say 10,000 points and if you have 5 killer games in a row the replay score may adjust itself to 100,000 before a replay is awarded.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »

I was reading somewhere recently that the ball save in Star Wars does not function, although is programed in the code.  Apparently a collector somewhere O/S is currently rewriting the code to fix it and a few other things!

In relation to Replay Levels, I'm not 100% sure but I think the game self adjusts the score required for replays.  So if you suck like me it changes to say 10,000 points and if you have 5 killer games in a row the replay score may adjust itself to 100,000 before a replay is awarded.

I'd actually forgotten about the ball save on this game until last week when after re connecting a loose wire to the ball return switch the DMD flashed up with the Han Solo image. All came flooding back and I remember this from the sited pin I use to play 20 years ago.
 Do you remember where you read about the rewriting of the code? Was the ball save function some how lost in a past upgrade or was it not on some of the earlier models?

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:45:09 PM »

Oh and thanks for the feed back Marty  ^^^

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
It may also refer to how may replays you get for beating the high score, depends what other settings are in there.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
It may also refer to how may replays you get for beating the high score, depends what other settings are in there.

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I guess it doesn't really matter to much for non sited pins.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »

I was reading somewhere recently that the ball save in Star Wars does not function, although is programed in the code.  Apparently a collector somewhere O/S is currently rewriting the code to fix it and a few other things!

In relation to Replay Levels, I'm not 100% sure but I think the game self adjusts the score required for replays.  So if you suck like me it changes to say 10,000 points and if you have 5 killer games in a row the replay score may adjust itself to 100,000 before a replay is awarded.

I'd actually forgotten about the ball save on this game until last week when after re connecting a loose wire to the ball return switch the DMD flashed up with the Han Solo image. All came flooding back and I remember this from the sited pin I use to play 20 years ago.
 Do you remember where you read about the rewriting of the code? Was the ball save function some how lost in a past upgrade or was it not on some of the earlier models?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/7b35d1b2953b5981/ceb625c9b7952c19?lnk=gst&q=Star+wars+code#ceb625c9b7952c19

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:55 PM »

I was reading somewhere recently that the ball save in Star Wars does not function, although is programed in the code.  Apparently a collector somewhere O/S is currently rewriting the code to fix it and a few other things!

In relation to Replay Levels, I'm not 100% sure but I think the game self adjusts the score required for replays.  So if you suck like me it changes to say 10,000 points and if you have 5 killer games in a row the replay score may adjust itself to 100,000 before a replay is awarded.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/7b35d1b2953b5981/ceb625c9b7952c19?lnk=gst&q=Star+wars+code#ceb625c9b7952c19

Thanks, very interesting stuff. I wish I was a bit more technically minded and could have a crack at it myself. Unfortunately I've no idea where to start. Anyway I found it interesting that the way he talked on the YouTube clip all Star wars machines were the same with the ball save turned off after traveling over the first switch. Makes me wonder if the other owners of this game on the forum have the ball save feature active or not as I clearly remember the sited one I used to play having this feature active. My machine is a european import, any one have an Aussie one with this active?  !@#

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »
I think the only way it would have worked if a heap of switches were out or may have been a prototype ROM

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »
Thanks Marty. Maybe it was a prototype then as the sited one that I used to play at Alien City was brand new at the time. I'd still be interested to hear how others operate. Or if anyone knows how to make it active would be even better.  *%*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:39:27 PM »
Thanks Marty. Maybe it was a prototype then as the sited one that I used to play at Alien City was brand new at the time. I'd still be interested to hear how others operate. Or if anyone knows how to make it active would be even better.  *%*

Just need to wait for him to finish, he intends to release the updated ROM when he is done. A couple of members here will be able to burn it for you then.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »
Fantastic  ^^^  I'd be very keen.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »
Replay levels relate to the score at which a replay/credit if on site or user adjustable to say extra ball and how many replay levels or scores are available per game.

You can change the number of replays your machine has and at what scores they happen.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
Replay levels relate to the score at which a replay/credit if on site or user adjustable to say extra ball and how many replay levels or scores are available per game.

You can change the number of replays your machine has and at what scores they happen.
So are you saying that the function here can be adjusted to give extra balls at various scores?  For example if you also changed No.4 "Game Awards" to Extra ball instead Credit then you'd be able to adjust the number of score based extra balls as well as the scores they were awarded on.?