Author Topic: Mad Magazine  (Read 1750 times)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Mad Magazine
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:20:22 PM »
Whilst on Holidays in Queensland last week, I brought a copy of Mad Magazine.  Now I used to read this as a kid in the 70s.

Great to see my old favouroties still being re-printed i.e Spy Vs Spy, Dave Berg's 'The lighter side of' and Don Martin.  Oh and cant forget the flod in on the last page.  I really enjoyed it after some years.

Anyone else enjoy Mad?  I also remeber a similar magazine called Cracked that was good also.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Mad Magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
yep, used to love both of those mags as a kid - especially Mad, used to wait anxiously for the next issue - thanks for the memories - just googled up this link - off to do some reading - that Darth Vader used to feature a lot when I was reading it!

http://www.dccomics.com/mad/
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
Yeah I used to love MAD when I was a kid, used to collect them religiously, always loved the fold ups in the back cover.
I still have a few boxes full of them out in the shed.  Gonna flog them off on Epay one day when I get around to it.

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »
I still own all my 70's MAD's and more from my childhood, plus all the paperback ones too...

I'm surprised todays MAD is still running Don Martin cartoons? as he died around a decade ago, not long after leaving MAD and bringing out his own comic "Don Martin".

Don was my fave artist, you can't ignore the flared nostrils and folded-over feet on just about every character he drew.

I bought many of the 'specials' that were solely a Don Martin, Sergio Aragones, Spy'vs'Spy or Dave Berg issue etc...
Too many here too mention ;-)

MM.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »
Absolutely loved mad magazine when i was a kid, not sure if kids nowdays would understand the humour , i tried to explain to my eldest son (14) about the back fold ups and he just gave me the look.
Whats wrong with kids nowdays?

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
Is there a playstation/xbox/Wii version of MAD available? maybe then they'll enjoy it ;-(

MM. (no, not for 'M'ad 'M'agazine hehehe).

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »
Sorry 3 years late to this one. Just stumbled apon it. I always thought a Mad Mag Pinnie would be great and endless possibilities too. How about one based on Mad's satire of Movies. You could have one based on Mad's version of Jaws or their version of Indiana Jones. Perhaps you could have a machine based on "A Mad look at" space or music or something.
 Who wouldn't love to the sound effect on a Don Martin inspired machine, Pwee! Pfffft! Sproig! Ploobadoof!
Better yet whack it all together and you could really have some fun. And yes I too was Mad about Mad and collected them religiously. I always loved Sergio Aragones Marginals.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »
Holy thread revival Batman!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »
i vaguely remember the fold ups.you guys must be older than me.lol. %.% ^.^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »
Holy thread revival Batman!

Urmmm yep a little late I guess  !@)  :lol

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »
Sorry 3 years late to this one. Just stumbled apon it. I always thought a Mad Mag Pinnie would be great and endless possibilities too.

Data East had one in the pipeline, but didn't get past a whitewood, was going to have a funhouse style rudy head

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »
Nice find! I knew there was talk of a machine at one time but had no idea it came so close to production. Thanks for the pictures.