Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 21975 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #480 on: December 22, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »
I like all you people out there, hates or lovers. Its good, its pinball, its life. If you buy something you believe in, you made a right choice. If someone knocks your choice, shrug your shoulders and go play pinball. Enjoy and experience something the knocker does not have.

+1

It doesn't make sense to have multiple threads running on what is essentially the same topic (and thereby trying to avoid any "healthy discussion" on a topic that everyone here is naturally interested in talking about.) 99% of the posts in this Avengers thread were in my view fair and balanced observations about the machine itself, and vary rarely (if at all) a personal attack.

A critique of a machine's layout/design or the production/manufacturing decisions behind it is NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK and should never be interpreted as such.

I have been on other pinball forums where separate threads (fact vs discussion) on newly released or in production machines became a necessity primarily due to mob mentality, but also due to poor (lack of impartiality) moderation which exacerbated it. (Having to wade through pages of "discussion" posts which state that anyone who has a deposit on WOZ is a homosexual (this is the civilised version) is not only offensive but gets very boring......)

I am certain that AP is well above that "seagull mentality" level, due not only in part to the moderation team, but also to the quality of the forum membership itself.  ^^^

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:48:58 PM by pinsanity »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #481 on: December 22, 2012, 10:09:39 PM »
I like all you people out there, hates or lovers. Its good, its pinball, its life. If you buy something you believe in, you made a right choice. If someone knocks your choice, shrug your shoulders and go play pinball. Enjoy and experience something the knocker does not have.

+1

It doesn't make sense to have multiple threads running on what is essentially the same topic (and thereby trying to avoid any "healthy discussion" on a topic that everyone here is naturally interested in talking about.) 99% of the posts in this Avengers thread were in my view fair and balanced observations about the machine itself, and vary rarely (if at all) a personal attack.

A critique of a machine's layout/design or the production/manufacturing decisions behind it is NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK and should never be interpreted as such.

I have been on other pinball forums where separate threads (fact vs discussion) on newly released or in production machines became a necessity primarily due to mob mentality, but also due to poor (lack of impartiality) moderation which exacerbated it. (Having to wade through pages of "discussion" posts which state that anyone who has a deposit on WOZ is a homosexual (this is the civilised version) is not only offensive but gets very boring......)

I am certain that AP is well above that "seagull mentality" level, due not only in part to the moderation team, but also to the quality of the forum membership itself.  ^^^

+1,

I do agree with you and maybe I jumped the gun in suggesting a some negative posts within new pinball threads and to be honest I was worried I would be bashed as I am not a one sider for any brand of pin but I like the theme and seemed to be part of the minority on this one,

Now like if I was in AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) or better still PA (Pinballers Anonymous). I have been in chats with GG and he has sent me some emails and personal videos of the pro and though I was nervous about the Captain America Inserts I am now comfortable and have paid a deposit for a Pro (can't afford a LE) to AMD and because I have a baby due mid Feb I wanted to lock in a pro as only a small amount is coming in with the LE's 3rd week of Jan so I can get some games in before he comes.

Yes, my gut just says I like this pin and I want it and it is my first NIB so please do not bash me as I just want to have fun and enjoy pinball.

My apologies for implying people post negative posts as 99% are good, entertaining posts with alot of good points or negative and positive issues of new games which I don't want to squash, just personally don't want to experience the mob bashing, sorry guys feel free to post your standard quality posts.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:12:18 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #482 on: December 22, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »
Pinsanity, I liked every thing u said and agree to 99.99 percent of it.

The only point I re-raise is that some people dont want to wade thru 35 pages of discussion to find photos, stern flyers or Srern videos etc.
I dont view discussion or debate as personal attacks etc either, and accordingly will still participate in both a discussion thread on say Avengers Premium and a Fact only resource page.

I will say respectfully however, the resource only fact page on a new Stern design gets rid of the same old same old bagging that the same people seem to do over n over again on every Stern pinball released. It gets depressing after a while, its like being at a Ford dealership trying to buy a car and having several people boo-ing you as you try to talk positively about the model with other interested parties. By splitting the 2 x threads up, it gets rid of this.
If I have been guilty of making any comments on the Woz thread for example, that any interested purchaser found negative or distracting, well the splitting up of the threads will also alleviate even my own comments.lol    2 x seperate threads is definately required and I do accept we are definately not the same as any other forum etc.

Jady, well done on the AMD ordering of your new Avengersw Pro.  Well done mate !  ^^^

Comgrats also for the new baby on the way !  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:26:33 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #483 on: December 22, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »
Gomez added comments on Facebook respecting the LE video. He said there is "more code on Monday" and "lotsa goodies".
Goodies may mean = code updates for TF, Xmen and Avengers all on Christmas Eve.

"he also mentioned that they wanted the real actors like RDJ, but they werent interested.   
If they went for them then the pin would have been in the 20K range he said.   
So Stern initially tried to get them, but money, was like to be expected a problem.'

for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #484 on: December 22, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »
I Use tapatalk it has all the photos in a line just open one and you can scroll all the others in the thread no need to go through 35 pages and when you open the app it takes you straight to the newest post in each thread does that make sense lol. Well done Jady on the pro I'm very very close myself as it looks good.

Peter

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #485 on: December 22, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:19:21 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2012, 04:15:58 AM »
Congrats on the NIB Jady!
I won't knock anyone for buying one and I don't expect anyone to knock me for not buying one due to my personal reservations with this game.
All that matters is that YOU like it and want to pay for the machine.
I hope it gives you many years of fun.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #487 on: December 23, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »
Thanks guys for the congrats, am looking forward to it.

I have got LEDS, black mirrors, a Thor hammer mods organized already.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:19:51 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #488 on: December 23, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »
Congrats on the new game Jady - but more so, congrats on the new baby (the human one!!)

There's good and bad points on having separate threads, just like every game has good and bad points.

People wanting just information can access it easily from an info only thread, but there's plenty of scope for that on the Stern site and Facebook page.

We are all part of a forum, and one of the primary focuses of a forum is discussion. If that means we get exposed to negative views of certain members, I am confident that the majority of members already know what to expect in a post from certain individuals, and will read or ignore as they see fit.

Not long ago we were asked to merge threads on particular game so people could keep up more easily with the discussions on a particular game.........

I'm not saying that an 'info only' thread is a bad thing, but I can see it creating problems, particularly if the member posting includes opinions on the facts - its the nature of a forum to lead to others debating those opinions, and soon we'll be moderating the 'fact' section or it will become a 'normal' discussion thread itself.

But we're open to suggestions as always, feel free to pm Nino or me any time.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:57:11 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #489 on: December 23, 2012, 08:28:41 AM »
Thanks guys for the congrats, am looking forward to it.

I have got LEDS, black mirrors, a Thor hammer mods organized already.

Congrats on your first NIB Jady, and I hope you have many more to come .
I would personally like to thank you for the continuing work you put into keeping members on AP informed on the latest pinball developments .I enjoy reading you posts as many do , well done .
Congrats for the baby too !

There should not be any personal attacks on AP  .
I don't have a lot of time for this BS , and thats what it is . We don't want AP starting to look / read  like other forums out there.
When I hop on this forum  I would like to read constructive posts , funny posts , interesting post ,easy reading stuff etc etc ,from people who have the same passion for pinball as me.
I have to skip through  BS post to read something of some intelligence .

Some members have to accept other peoples passion for pinball may be different to theirs .
Good luck to him if he's bought a Stern or a JJP , accepted it and move on and stay positive .
Good luck to him if he buys every new pinball release ,
Good luck to him if he's put down a deposit for a pinball and gets it in 10 years .
Respect people for who they are .
If it's got something to do with Pinball it's good .

Merry Christmas guys  

Tony

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2012, 08:31:18 AM »
I am cool with a all in one thread - so no dramas there and look no dramas with the positive and negative posts as long as they are constructive - just not a fan of the Stern lovers accusations along with haters banging on for the sack of it which hasn't happened here.

Admittedly I was nervous buying my first NIB so a big step for me and didn't want to hear and regret my purchase - just me being precious.

George sent me personally a full 5 1/2 minute video of him playing a full game on a Pro at Gameworks, man it looks like it is going to be a challenging game - had no ball hang ups and it looks fun but challenging as well.

Thanks all for the well wishes with my purchase.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #491 on: December 23, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
And another thing !
I still reckon NIB pinballs in OZ are way over priced .
And I have brought it up with Gary on several occasion .
USD$6350 for a NIB Avengers LE as a pre-sale price .
Competition is good if you have it .

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #492 on: December 23, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »
From Pinside
Interesting Read

First off want to send a big shout out to hank for letting us beat up on his hulk pin last night. YOU ROCK BROSKY
Ok now to the goods of the machine. This is actually the first review I will have wrote in a long time for many reasons. Will break it down into several sections. If there is something I missed and you owuld like to ask?'s on please feel free guys. We played this machine all night last night.
Section 1 Artwork
The cabinet on hulk is very well done and looks very impressive in real life. My favorite was the backglass; it is mirrored but not too much like some other titles; which makes for a suddle but yet cool effect. The neatest thing though is the trim on hulk which is not liek your typical green but yet a metalic type green looks very well done. Also of not was the cool effect of the characters lit up on the apron. Ok playfield well digging the playfield it is a mix of movie and custom stuff. The colors on the playfield really stick out and the entire game is very striking and stunning.

Section 2 Music, Sound, and DMD animations, Light shows
Well lets start with the call outs becuase I know people have been bitching up a storm about these. The call outs are great and sound very well done; unlike xmen where I thought especially wolverine sounded uhh. The only one who sounds a little off is nick fury, but he is actually rather funny. But that is what makes this game so good with the call outs the humor and the way they coinside with the game. You will have to hear them for yourself but here are some prime examples; bonus counts, game over, and many other instances in the game where no other game has ever gone before with that aspect. I think once you play it guys you will truly be pleasently surprised with the call outs the way the group of us were that played it.
The music well what can I say but dang. The music in this game is top notch. Stern got someone new to do the music and you can tell. This game reminds me of some of the greats like LOTR and TROn when it comes to music; but even cooler is that it is all original music scores. LOKI multiball music is out of this world good along with the hulk theme music especially when you listen and lightly in the background you can here hulk smash. Even has badass end of game music too. Ok lets move on too animations. I am not going to lie the first time I saw the video I was like damn it; they freaking went back to split screen. Well they got this right too because they use a mixture of both; and they got it right meaning it fits into the game perfect and is a really cool the way they use it. You will definitley be able to tell when you play it. All the custom stuff is done veyr nice too; some examples; loki multiball stuff, hulk multiball, cap mode, and character mode clips. Ohh forgot to mention on sound too; first game in a long time you actually hear jackpot call outs. Please keep an eye out too for the badass replay animation. Lightshows well I dare you to fin any other game that has a lightshow like this game, because I have had and played everygame out there and no game comes even close. The light shows are just wow. The coolest thing is backboard full of flashers, but also how they use it during the game too and bonus counts as well. One mode comes to mind and that is black widow when the game goes to red. All of us just looked at ech other and were like damn. Seriously that cool. Love the bonnus counts to at end of all ball too. Game has a ton of flahsers it in it.

Section 3 Layout
Well let me just say if you plan on stepping up to this game and only putting a couple plays on it then you might not like it. Is that a bad thing no. It reminds me of no other game out there; that is right ti plays very unique. Here are some examples; mystery shot nick fury, black widow ramp, haw eye ramp, hulk saucer, captain america orbit, Iron Man orbit; ohh wait I just about named everyshot in the game. That is because the game is truly special in this department and is not a tron rehash or a t2 look a like   or even a rehash of lotr. The game is a monster that none oof us have conquered yet. You may be asking well how does it play; all I can say is fast and brutal no rest for your flipper hands when you are playing this mother   The cool thing about it; is how hard the shots are. It is a big challenge when playing this game. Although when you string together a combo like this; captain, hawkeye, black widow, lastly Iron Man. You are like did I just do that? Seriously this game is so different and innovative shoot wise it is just cool. Will take a little bit though for you to get used to the shots on the game. Also the ball lock and the tesseract are veyr neat. especially the crazy ball english that you get from the tesseract. Once again if you guys have some specfic ?'s on anything I will answer them as best I can.

Section 4 Rules and modes to the game
I will dive into this a little bit, but not too much because lets just say this game is by no means Monster Bash; meaning that it is hard and seems like when it is done there will be some great depth to it. I know everyone wants to know all about the modes, but those are tough. The entire night we were playing I was the only one to complete one character and that was hulk. Let me tell you hitting the hulk super jackpot shot is a bear of a time too. Ok we started all the characters but here is thing it seems like each character is going to have different levels to them; you may ask well what the hell does that mean all i can tell you is that it will not be shoot a character start their mode complete and you are done. Meaning lets take hawkeye for example. You have to hit him 4 times to start his one mode, but then you have to complete that to get to another mode and then after that i believe their is vs modes too. So lots of stuff to do for sure, but here is where the game is badass also. Cap, thor, hawkeye and loki mball all going at once it is like you are at war with the game. Love the way the game stacks modes so far. Ok I know in talking with george that Lyman has been hard at work on coding this beast. I am hoping he is working on such things like the tesseract having different modes to it. maybe adding another mball that you could stck with loki or hulk, also some other stuff I am sure, but if they polish off this code right this game will be something very special that we have not seen in a long time. Looked through the feature audits and seems like when the game is done it will be packed. Also of note though the code that is in it so far is still lots of fun to play. I will dive more into the rules after the code update comes on monday; which gomez says will be very big. I am sure that it will address the ball hang ups for hulk too.

In Conclusion
The game is very fast and action packed one bad motha. Go try it for yourself. Like I said if they get the code right on this thing which I am sure they will with Lyman working on it. This could be a magical game like LOTR. Seriously this game has a definite fun factor to it and is very unique in many ways
Now guys your mission
GO PLAY THE DAMN THING
ohh yeah
MERRY XMAS
D-ROCK

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #493 on: December 23, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »
Good posts Tony(ANT)  ^^^
The game reviews are starting to look more n more positive.
The light shows look better n better everytime I see a different Avengers video of both PRO and LE.
I hope Stern stays around for a long time, so they can keep making all different titles that sooner or later will appeal to more n more people.

My only worry sometimes, is that Stern can be here one month, and gone the next, like any company, cause it now needs to survive and be profitable with the investors onboard etc. Sometimes I think we all expect automatically that Stern will always be here, but history shows, that all pinball companies need to sell as many games as possible to survive. Stern needs as much support as it can possibly get form anyone and everyone.

Thats why I am a Stern fan, because I like the games and they are having a go which is positive, and because a world without Stern would basically mean that the pinball machine is now an almost extinct species without competition, and only fossils (2nd hand Stern machines) can be found with no more new Stern pinballs being born. That would be a sad day for the pinball industry.

I am hoping Stern stay around for ages and keep the Pinball Industry alive. Hope JJP grows as well. Hoping Avengers sells well and keeps Stern ticking along.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:01:03 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #494 on: December 23, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »
RE, posting of negative opinions

As has been pointed out, everybody is entitled to their opinion
I cannot force you into liking a game

But if you do not like a particular game, I am wondering why you are even reading the thread?
Any/all flaws you point out are not going to be corrected, the people who make these games are not going to read your comments

Jersey Jack has had a dedicated Woz forum. many comments and suggestions have been posted there
over the two years only one change to WoZ has been made due to comments on the forum (a JJP logo etched into the playfield glass)
Any other changes have been decided by Jack