Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 21417 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #735 on: February 26, 2013, 10:18:42 AM »
Over 100 changes to a game already out and sold and also hitting the 2nd hand market. Its no good to say that a game with unfinished code is released to get the machine " out there".... should be done and then sold. Whoever in marketing is advising that 4 unfinished titles a year is better than 3 finished is an arse!
>>But... people keep buying them! So, you buy a machine on looks alone.. some wait to play it to buy but its still got unfinished code! So what game are you buying?..You still dont know by time the buzz of your NIB is wearing thin cos they havent finished the coding and subsequent game play.

Its a terrible " standard" that has somehow become acceptible by buyers.. in any other industry this practise wouldnt be allowed.. but hey... lets be grateful that its a pinball and they can still chuck a dog a bone.   !!@

I pray that JJP dont do this unfinished/ upgrade it yourself crap.. its a complete piss take

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #736 on: February 26, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
I picked up my Hulk from AMD yesterday and had a few games last night.
I will post more detail later on but first impressions are positive. Game came with 1.4 upgrade.
Some bad points are evident as raised in other forums. With some minor adjustements I must say, this game is addictive. Definite keeper. All my detailed impressions will be posted when I get  more time.

Very much looking forward to your review, wished I'd grabbed the LE for $6400 now  !!!

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #737 on: February 26, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
Looking forward to the review of the LE as well.

Re the code, the Avengers Pro with the original code played nice, albeit with early code that needed adjusting ofcourse. To the average player, the code only becomes an issue when u are the type of player that understands all the tiny different rules n tiny bits n pieces that only a world champ player would pick up. Some peoples brains are geared right into this stuff and it is those people who write into Stern and tell them about the technical bits n pieces that need adjusting or adding. The people who can do this are talented for sure because its alot of work understanding all the tiny mechanics of the programming.

Also, we all know Stern is pretty spot on these days with catching up with many and varied code releases to make the games better n better, so if anything, people can buy with confidence knowing that the code does get looked after. Thats the hope anyway which so far has worked out very well.
They must care cause they are still doing code upadates for AC?DC, X Men, Tron, Transformers and Avengers to name a few.

JJP will have to do the same, because Joe Public will report 50 things, and then they will also make code upgrades on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:49:31 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #738 on: February 26, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
Personally I reckon acdc and Tron are finished now with code updates they both play great, avengers I'd love to play soon.

Peter

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #739 on: March 01, 2013, 01:01:37 PM »
Over 100 changes to a game already out and sold and also hitting the 2nd hand market. Its no good to say that a game with unfinished code is released to get the machine " out there".... should be done and then sold. Whoever in marketing is advising that 4 unfinished titles a year is better than 3 finished is an arse!
>>But... people keep buying them! So, you buy a machine on looks alone.. some wait to play it to buy but its still got unfinished code! So what game are you buying?..You still dont know by time the buzz of your NIB is wearing thin cos they havent finished the coding and subsequent game play.

Its a terrible " standard" that has somehow become acceptible by buyers.. in any other industry this practise wouldnt be allowed.. but hey... lets be grateful that its a pinball and they can still chuck a dog a bone.   !!@

I pray that JJP dont do this unfinished/ upgrade it yourself crap.. its a complete piss take

Agreed!

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #740 on: March 06, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »
First casualty (I think) for an Avengers in Australia.
Yesterday arvo I decided to have a game on the Hulk and things started off in a real good way. My first ball was a cracker, 36M and two extra balls collected and still on first ball. I was sure to crack my Grand Champion score of 338M. I was focused around the mid play area bashing the Hulk in multi ball play when something weird caught my eye around the top right hand corner of playfield. Rising smoke! Shit, this thing is so realistic, what the hell is this? Looked like a disco dance floor.
Now, any of you guys killed a game mid stream when you are on a collosal roll? What a shit feeling coming down from such a high but I had to turn machine off before we made a new title "Towering Inferno".
The right ramp control gate decided to fry itself and it definitely looked well done. Looks like the Hulk is back to the workshop. Couldn't have happened on a nicer ball.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:02:31 PM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #741 on: March 06, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »
Sad to see it happen mate.  I have never seen or even heard of that happening on any pinball ever so it certainly looks like a dud component.

Its good that Stern has a local distributor near you and AMD is extremely switched on and sensitive to fixing these warranty issues the moment they happen. I am sure u have met Micheal, always great to deal with.

Will u just take the dud component in, or the whole machine ?

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #742 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »
Excuse my ignorance...control gate  failure is a locked on coil?

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #743 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
The machine will go back for a full check. The sticking coil may be a faulty component but Michael wants to check the driver as well. Better do the full test rather than suffer more burnt toast.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #744 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:20 PM »
yeh good idea, i was thinking just a faulty magnet, but its been locked on for way too long and melted, so probably both a crappy coil like Gav said and hopefully it hasnt travelled all the way back to the driver......  keep us in the loop how quick of a fix it will be.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #745 on: March 06, 2013, 11:47:50 PM »
Yes I will keep you updated. The earliest I can take in will be next week cause I am 2 hours drive from AMD.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #746 on: March 06, 2013, 11:50:57 PM »
Yes I will keep you updated. The earliest I can take in will be next week cause I am 2 hours drive from AMD.

they cant send a tech to you.......

who wants to risk machine travel damage ?   *.*    .............hit Michael up to send a tech.......they really should...

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #747 on: March 07, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »

they cant send a tech to you.......

who wants to risk machine travel damage ?   *.*    .............hit Michael up to send a tech.......they really should...

http://www.amdcoinop.com/PartsAndService.htm

ALL SERVICING IS CARRIED OUT IN OUR WORKSHOP.
Contact us on 02 9700 9600 or email spareparts@amdcoinop.com

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #748 on: March 07, 2013, 01:36:26 AM »
I thought it was worth a try u just asking them so u could save the machine transport.....I wonder what people do for warranty repairs who are a very long way away, from AMD ?    I wonder what AMD does for people on the Gold Coast like me if something goes bad ?....

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #749 on: March 07, 2013, 06:50:50 AM »
I agree with cavey, especially in your circumstances with having head replaced, you already have been stuffed around a lot. They should be coming to you.

I wonder if in replacing the head that it missed some critical checks that normally would be isolated at the factory or a wire or plug has been located in correctly.

Did stern replace the head box only and all the boards moved from one box to another by AMD?

As for others further away we need to return the item to them, keeps their cost down which is a another reason why they should have a registered tech in each state at least if not other distributors.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:54:19 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts