Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 22865 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:52:00 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
The level of artwork and creativity from Stern in 2012 has surpassed the nineties Bally/Williams games by a long long ways now IMO.
I recently went to a collectors house, stood and looked at the new line up of Sterns, sitting next to the cookie cutters of the B/W nineties games.
The 2012 Sterns made the B/W games look old, dark n slow...and ofcourse imo, over rated and still over priced for games getting on to 14 to 20 yrs old.   

Great to see AMD getting some games in Jan, all positive stuff.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:52:13 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »
The majority of the B/W cookie cutters were not licenced themes, therefore the art was mostly artwork that was hand drawn or unique so to speak...u have to consider companies who control ac/dc. tron. x men, avengers etc control the licencing, and cartoon style B/W cookie cutter art will not be allowed or even considered by them (excl X Men ofcourse)...

So its easy to blame Stern for artwork on a playfield that looks like picture stills from the movie, but thats exactly what the licence holders want and would probably only allow....wait for Stern to do a non licenced theme, if they do, and lets judge it then, apples compared to apples....but licenced themes have to work with licence holders....and licence holders usually stick to a very conservative road....

spend a few hours looking at alot of the 90's dmd games from all manufacturers...look at all non licenced versus licenced..its pretty much the same result accross the board....

yes, unlicenced themes do produce better playfield art...but thats to be expected with more creative licence (no pun intended.lol)

Perhaps, judge the new games on gameplay and ignore the licenced p/f artwork if u can, I would be interested on your gameplay feedback....or anyones for that matter.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:04:16 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:52:27 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
It can be hard for people who have spent anything between $7,000 to $9500 on a new pinball machine to hear someone bag everything about a new title. I think i said at the time it was like telling someone that their wife was ugly, or it was like a ford guy going to a holden meet and bagging all the models.lol     I will say to you in all honesty, and respect, that because I have never heard u ever say one thing nice about Stern at all, thats prob why the AC/DC feedback wasnt received well or liked well by AC/DC owners, if i remember it correctly.  But again, u are entitled to your opinion, and us owners should suck it up whether its positive or not. Human nature does get in the way sometimes.

The forum is built on different n varied opinions, and sometimes we dont like what other people say or feel, but it doesnt mean we shouldnt all stay friendly n mates etc. I am only right half the time, and i dont even know which half is right.lol

Anyway, I like Avengers, hope the gameplay n artwork is recieved well in person. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:18:37 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:52:40 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
It can be hard for people who have spent anything between $7,000 to $9500 on a new pinball machine to hear someone bag everything about a new title. I think i said at the time it was like telling someone that their wife was ugly, or it was like a ford guy going to a holden meet and bagging all the models.lol     I will say to you in all honesty, and respect, that because I have never heard u ever say one thing nice about Stern at all, thats prob why the AC/DC feedback wasnt received well or liked well by AC/DC owners, if i remember it correctly.  But again, u are entitled to your opinion, and us owners should suck it up whether its positive or not. Human nature does get in the way sometimes.

The forum is built on different n varied opinions, and sometimes we dont like what other people say or feel, but it doesnt mean we shouldn't all stay friendly n mates etc.

re read what i said about that game. do it from an impartial point of view cavey, i said plenty of positives about that game, but accused by some as completely bagging it out.
you also again missed the positive point i said about acdc even on this thread.

also go way back to the early parts of the acdc thread when the acdc pictures were first released and people were bagging out on that machine. and see what i said in defense to acdc on probably 12 posts?.
I have never said anything positive about sterns innovation because there is nothing to be positive about but i have said plenty of positive things about stern in the past

in response to your comment about opinions and debate, you are correct and you and I battle it out often and both opinionated which is more than fine with me, and at the end of the day id have beer with you any time and enjoy some pinball.  ^^^

There were a few interesting responses when the ACDC images were first released -

* No one can deny the base model at $5,950 is worth a punt because it will become very collectable, artwork liked or disliked etc.
The music alone will impress most. Maybe it will be better looking in the flesh than the pictures so far. At $5950 i reckon i might seriously look at one.

If i changed my mind after it arrived, i would site it and make some serious coin etc at the right location.

** Does anyone else think $5950 is good value for the well awaited AC-DC pin. I think the pricing is attractive for the PRO model 4 sure.

thankyou Bruce for the updates.  ^^^
Quote other thread
ABSOLUTE YUK YUK YUK YUK.

I reckon the artwork everywhere on this pinball looks very cheap n nasty x 100. Colours are just yuk n crappy. Sorry STERN. You got it very wrong again !

The browny red colours of the whole thing remind me of the browny yuk of the Maverick Pinball. The playfield looks dull and the large head looks like shite. Who wants to look at that all day playing pinball. Someone should have looked at the colours on something like a Black Knight 2000, with the nice combinations of red with black n silver.
This AC-DC pin is a massive letdown. It even makes the Rolling Stones machine look good, and that was a disaster. What are STERN doing ?

This is one ugly pinball machine, and will drop in value due to ugliness. The pricing seems way too high.
Stern should design one great game, not a cheap version, with a cheaper version, followed by a cut rate even cheaper version ! 3 models is silly. What about the days where u just released one really well layed out model, which came in one great package. Sorry, but it is just ugly and the whole thing looks cheap.

I have finally decided Stern is doomed for all time. If they have farked up this release, nothing else ever has a chance of getting off the ground. The recent Avatar and Iron Man pins looked way way better. To all the people awaiting this title, u must feel shattered by the ugly'ness. Its a 10 song jukebox for 10 grand with ugly art everywhere.

Change of heart Brett? LOL

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2012, 05:31:40 PM »
Your right Brett they look great! Tron v LE hulk did I make the right decision?

Peter

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
I'm sold ! Based on the web pics alone  %.% No need to wait and play it.

I leaning to your side, looks a cool game
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
here's a cool shot of the ramp on a LE being hit and going up in the air and changing the game play.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »
I'm sold ! Based on the web pics alone  %.% No need to wait and play it.

Hulk? They look great hey well done stern

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
The level of artwork and creativity from Stern in 2012 has surpassed the nineties Bally/Williams games by a long long ways now IMO.
I recently went to a collectors house, stood and looked at the new line up of Sterns, sitting next to the cookie cutters of the B/W nineties games.
The 2012 Sterns made the B/W games look old, dark n slow...and ofcourse imo, over rated and still over priced for games getting on to 14 to 20 yrs old.   

Great to see AMD getting some games in Jan, all positive stuff.

%.% %.% %.% %.%

That's the funniest thing I've heard for a long, long time ! Photoshopped artwork VS the B/W titles like CV, Scared Stiff and even Black Knight 2000 ? Stern's artwork has always looked cheap and rushed. In fact, you agree with me (AC/DC) ;

"I reckon the artwork everywhere on this pinball looks very cheap n nasty x 100. Colours are just yuk n crappy. Sorry STERN. You got it very wrong again !"

Seriously, Stern are so far behind with their artwork, they cannot compete with artwork done 20 years ago. That's a fact.

Iron Man is probably the exception. If it had a third flipper you could compare it with Bally / Williams games made 20 years ago.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
more photos here as well

notice the different backbox design for the LE's

also the balls go from the shooter lane potentially straight into a ball lock

It looks like the Pro will be a damn good game as it is.

http://pinballhead.com/first-stern-the-avengers-pics/

The main differences in the higher model:
Arrow cross over ramp - can let go
Thor drop targets - but you get the HULK main drop targets.
Hulk smash ramp - still yet to see how the ball plays with the ramp up but you still get the mechanical/moving hulk and magnet action.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:40:50 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2012, 07:19:37 PM »
Hulk Le looks good, but i refuse to spend that amount on any pinball. If i buy one , it will be a pro. I'm undecided and until i can play
one i won't make any decision. Ironman still has my interest though, so i may even end up going that way instead.