Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 22139 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #450 on: December 20, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »
It sure is a pretty game watching the hulk video but only the LE has the correct PF ?

Peter

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #451 on: December 20, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:21:46 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #452 on: December 21, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »
Has anyone heard if the Premium has the correct PF ?

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #453 on: December 21, 2012, 11:46:53 PM »
Has anyone heard if the Premium has the correct PF ?

you would assume a LE design one but no details made public.

word is the LE's have a slightly different Hulk placement meaning less chance of ball hang ups under his arm.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #454 on: December 22, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »
quick review by a respected pinsider - Gambit

First impressions after about 5 games:

This machine is unique. It is unlike anything I own, or have ever owned.
First impressions out of the box are that it is more fun than XM was out of the box.
You CAN stack modes. I started Black Widow (that ramp flows great on my machine) and Hulk Multiball on the same shot to the Widow ramp, dumping it into the Hulk Sacuer.
Iron Man shot is very tight.
Hulk toy is really cool. Bridge throw is very cool, too. When the bridge is up, Widow ramp shots launch into Hulk.
I have not paid any attention to scoring balance or code, really. It shipped with v1.1 code.
This is the best looking machine I own. The powder coat is beautiful.
I had one instance of the ball sticking, but it was due to Hulk bashing his hands down right as the ball was there. It cleared in about 1 second. I see what some people are having concerns about with the ball being behind the drop targets when they reset, but there are opening on either side for the ball to come out, and I think it has been really overblown. We are talking a second or two here. There is no problem with flow or speed on this pin.
I don't mind the voices and callouts at all. Again, I recognize these voices from my kid's toys and cartoons. The voice work on this one is leaps and bounds better than XM.
Light show is amazing. Lots of color on this thing.
My first game, I just didn't quite get it. I liked it more the second game. By the third game, I had the Widow shot down and stated getting it. The last couple of games have been fun. I am more pleased that it feels fresh and original than anything.
The cube spins amazingly smooth.
The left inlane is completely blocked from view, reminiscent of AC/DC's right inlane/outlane.

The inlane inserts (O and K in L-O-K-I) are almost completely obscured by the plastics.
The lights at the top are interesting. There are 6 - two for each drop through. The two on the right are tough to see. There is a plastic jet that is purely decorative that is in the way. I will play around with the positioning.
The Nick Fury target is blocked by the plastic Loki Lock sign. Can't see it at all.
My only complaint so far is that there are some odd line-of-sight choices."

this refreshing to hear, only because I want to love the game
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:54:14 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #455 on: December 22, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »
Another review from a pinside ckorth

"All - thought I would chime in as well - I picked up my Avengers LE #56 from Trent last night and have been putting it thru its paces......I have to say that I really like the game so far even at its early code 1.1 - a very unique layout and just fun to play. I know the Hulk LE's are getting all the love in the looks department and deservedly so but have to say I am very impressed with the look of the Avengers LE in person - beautiful backglass and I like the metallic powdercoating and..... well afterall it is an Avengers machine, so good to see all of them represented on the backglass and cabinet   yes there are a few ball hang up issues but the hulk arm one is really not a big deal in my opinion - you can adjust him a bit lower so his arms trigger easier - and yes you may still get one here and there - the ball search triggers very fast - Trent was on the phone with George last night and early purchasers have been giving feedback on any and all issues to be addressed. Long story short - I agree with Gambit in I already enjoy this machine far better than I did Xmen LE at the same point in time - the stacking, theme and shots are just fun - I also was concerned about the voices, but I actually think they are pretty decent and are pinball specific in many instances which is a plus in my book - yes I would like movie quotes too - but I think give it a listen and you will find them decent and fit the game well. This game will also be a fun one to mod a bit my guess - the theme just lends itself to some good pin geek mods yet to come!"

I am posting some of these to give a based view of the machine so it's not all doom and gloom, like a lot of guys say is that we just have to plat and then decide.

Interesting to hear that some people think it is more FUN that X-Men.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #456 on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
Good to hear some positive reviews. If I had the money, I'd get the blue Avengers LE, but would settle for a Pro and add some mods like I'm doing with my Tron. Hopefully someone in my area gets an Avengers to play in 2013.

Any Wagga/Junee/Albury people getting one on here?

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #457 on: December 22, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »

Interesting to hear that some people think it is more FUN that X-Men.

Those would be the minority and on very strong medication, how about posting the reviews were it gets the shit bagged out of it to keep the balance right.
Hybrid film/comic, it just doesn't work, it needed to go one way or the other not a dollar each way on both.
I wanted to love it and buy it but I can't just throw money away on something like this, damn you Gomez and damn you Stern for you have fuked up my fav pin theme and I will not forgive easily.

Anyone who thinks that this has good voice call outs and audio does not have the driveway going all the way to the road.
The audio on this is some of he worst audio I have ever heard on a pinball.
X-men has it's faults too, the storm voice comes to mind as does beast but they are heaven compared to what is dished up on this game so far.

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #458 on: December 22, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:22:07 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #459 on: December 22, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »

You cant judge a game and write it off til u have played it IMO........some people will buy before playing, because their idea of what is entertaining to them is alot more flexible than others etc......thats fine, I understand that, but you have to play a game before you write it off, unless the art is soo bad, or not to your liking, that the art alone stops a purchase.....

same goes for audio in my mind, you have to hear the audio package under gameplay conditions etc....I know some people like the audio to be close etc, but its a pinball machine, and the game play of shots n flow etc n art is always the first things that most people look at.....but having the sound is near impossible to replicate....

u could have the exact actors from the movies do the voice overs etc, but on different brand speakers even, its going to sound different.....dont write it off yet cause it might not be as bad til u play it.....You have to play a game before u can really make a educated decision...there is nothing like a game to really get the feel for a game.....just like X Men Pro, a solid game, a very solid game after some games..........

maybe Avengers will grab you like X Men did, after some games...u might be surprised, give it a chance, at least play it before u fully decide.......it might surprise you.....u might end up changing your mind....I hated AC/DC when i saw the internet pictures etc, but one look at AMD, changed my mind instantly, and a few games, and i was a buyer......wait til end of January......I would be interested in what u guys think after a play on Avengers....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:47:35 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #460 on: December 22, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »

You cant judge a game and write it off til u have played it IMO........some people will buy before playing, because their idea of what is entertaining to them is alot more flexible than others etc......thats fine, I understand that, but you have to play a game before you write it off, unless the art is soo bad, or not to your liking, that the art alone stops a purchase.....

same goes for audio in my mind, you have to hear the audio package under gameplay conditions etc....I know some people like the audio to be close etc, but its a pinball machine, and the game play of shots n flow etc n art is always the first things that most people look at.....but having the sound is near impossible to replicate....

u could have the exact actors from the movies do the voice overs etc, but on different brand speakers even, its going to sound different.....dont write it off yet cause it might not be as bad til u play it.....You have to play a game before u can really make a educated decision...there is nothing like a game to really get the feel for a game.....just like X Men Pro, a solid game, a very solid game after some games..........

maybe Avengers will grab you like X Men did, after some games...u might be surprised, give it a chance, at least play it before u fully decide.......it might surprise you.....u might end up changing your mind....I hated AC/DC when i saw the internet pictures etc, but one look at AMD, changed my mind instantly, and a few games, and i was a buyer......wait til end of January......I would be interested in what u guys think after a play on Avengers....

I can write it off and I have written it off. It will never sit well with me, the audio alone would annoy the hell out of me within a day..not quite as bad as woz but right up there.
As a REAL fan of the Avengers this will just not do...unaceptable, if others enjoy it for what it is that's great fill ya boots but I was after something a little more daring and thought out and a little more closer to the theme but hey this is Stern isn't it......lol.
I will play it but I will not buy it becuase it is a rushed and muddled representation of the theme.
I prayed he wouldn't but I knew Gomez would f**k this up, the guy couldn't organise a root in a brothel with a wad full of hundreds.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #461 on: December 22, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
Fair enough..........
...but u can always change your mind after u play it in case u like it like u did X Men Pro....they might make some changes to the whole package yet.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #462 on: December 22, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
Whether you like or dont like the audio.. maybe gameplay is good.. maybe it is pretty to look at etc.
Bottom line is that this title could have been thought out much better...I's havent been dotted and T's not crossed.
Its a shame as we all sit here with exaggerated hype hoping for just that something special but yet again, its just not there.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #463 on: December 22, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »
Fair enough..........
...but u can always change your mind after u play it in case u like it like u did X Men Pro....they might make some changes to the whole package yet.

Make changes to the whole package.. are you dreaming??

They had the chance before it all rolled out the door remember??.. if it didnt happen then, why would you expect it to happen in the future?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #464 on: December 22, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »
Stern wrote back to me and said that only Pros for test machines have been made to date.......

Pros for the public are starting soon and several tweaks/modifications are being done before full production......

To me, pinball machines are like brand new cars, you love 90 percent about it, but there is always something small that shits you...thats machinery for you, in any industry incl pinball......no such thing as the perfect pinball...havent seen it yet...may never see it...?