Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 19325 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #600 on: January 16, 2013, 11:46:45 PM »
I was told by the owner of TZ the he does about $120 a week per pinball ( if you believe him NOT)
I don't know, but it seems like all the arcades  do the same sort of money  !@# funny that !

Sounds like he needs to get a swipe system

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #601 on: January 18, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »
Just found this blog
Inside one of the last pinball factories in the world

There are some real good shots of the Stern production lines and gives you a good idea of what goes in the making of each machine.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3793274/stern-inside-one-of-the-last-pinball-factories-in-the-world
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Ant68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #602 on: January 18, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
oops

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #603 on: January 19, 2013, 02:31:46 AM »
Just found this blog
Inside one of the last pinball factories in the world

There are some real good shots of the Stern production lines and gives you a good idea of what goes in the making of each machine.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3793274/stern-inside-one-of-the-last-pinball-factories-in-the-world

what a excellent bunch of photos...thanks for sharing...great article.....

p.s - Stern must have sold all the Transformer machines eventually.lol  !@#

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #604 on: January 19, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »
Have u ever been to Timezone during the school holidays ?  ....perhaps not.

The pinball machines have kids aged 5 or so, to adults aged 60 playing them all non stop, and most of the time, there are 2 and 3 player games going on....90 percent of the time the game is left with both balls n games left to play on them, because people who havent played a machine before, lose a ball and dont know what to do next, or walik off and play something else....most people are aged 12 to 25 probably who play them and arent experienced at all and double flip all the time.

The machines not a crap player at all, its a great player, but inexperienced people who are trying a pinball machine for the first time lose the ball very quickly for the first 2 or 3 balls and walk off. If u see someone teaching someone to play, then the games last longer and the person enjoys it more.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #605 on: January 19, 2013, 07:12:11 PM »
Has anyone printed out the Avengers Pro Flyer or the Avengers LE Flyer yet from the Stern website.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:31:32 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #606 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
Has anyone printed out the Avengers Pro Flyer or the Avengers LE Flyer yet from the Stern website.

I did and got a commercial printer to do a larger version being a small poster size. They look excellent. If u want a few for your gamesroom, then here are the links.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/Games/avengers/AvengersPro-Flyer-1212-01a.pdf

and

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/Games/avengers/AvengersLE-Flyer-1212-01a.pdf

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #607 on: January 19, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
To quote world famous news anchor Ron Burgandy - "‘Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #608 on: January 20, 2013, 12:13:30 AM »
Gavin,

puppies, just another really stupid irrelevant silly little comment. You just keep doing it. U dont get the message, u think people want to read your antagonistic posts, no they want to read Avengers, so yes to the flyers, and no to your rubbish.

I couldn't care less about Avengers, I love reading Gavs posts, thanks for keeping it real mate  ^^^

Must be a pretty boring game anyway if people can't even be bothered finishing their 3 balls and are happier throwing away money by leaving credits on the machine and just want to walk away from it

Maybe the rules in todays pinball is just too deep for the general public. They would rather go on Facebook than try to understand Avengers or any other modern pinball.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #609 on: January 20, 2013, 07:52:33 AM »
I think some of it is a case of kids just not knowing what to do - even the simple stuff.

I had my nieces and nephews over just before Christmas and it was there first time experience with pinballs. you explain it is a 3 ball game but if you get a ball save it just throws them as it potentially turns into a 6 ball game max until you show them. This also happened at a local Timezone that has just gone in, I was watching a dad and a kid playing a Tron and both just kept swapping after each ball drain - either not reading or understanding the dmd graphics or the flashing ball save insert between the flippers. A quick lesson and they were enjoying it just that little bit more.

I haven't played it but to me doesn't look like a boring game but they are getting deeper in rules, maybe too deep ???? especially in arcades - as I couldn't imagine too many people trying to beat all the levels in a arcade at $2 a hit. In the US arcade prices are only just charging $0.50
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:59:50 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #610 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14:53 AM »
I couldn't care less about Avengers, I love reading Gavs posts, thanks for keeping it real mate  ^^^

Must be a pretty boring game anyway if people can't even be bothered finishing their 3 balls and are happier throwing away money by leaving credits on the machine and just want to walk away from it

Exciting times ahead.  <.>

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #611 on: January 20, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »
I think some of it is a case of kids just not knowing what to do - even the simple stuff.

I had my nieces and nephews over just before Christmas and it was there first time experience with pinballs. you explain it is a 3 ball game but if you get a ball save it just throws them as it potentially turns into a 6 ball game max until you show them. This also happened at a local Timezone that has just gone in, I was watching a dad and a kid playing a Tron and both just kept swapping after each ball drain - either not reading or understanding the dmd graphics or the flashing ball save insert between the flippers. A quick lesson and they were enjoying it just that little bit more.

I haven't played it but to me doesn't look like a boring game but they are getting deeper in rules, maybe too deep ???? especially in arcades - as I couldn't imagine too many people trying to beat all the levels in a arcade at $2 a hit. In the US arcade prices are only just charging $0.50

And that is exactly the dilema which the pinball industry faces today.
How do you make a pinball machine which can satisfy both the pinball wizard and the casual player who has little knowledge, let alone the ball skills.
The manufacturers could start by using the available technology to help the novice 'feel at home'. What is stopping them from installing a quick tour button and using the lights and ball to highlight the game features and main objectives?
Why can operators set different play and skill settings in the machine diagnostics? Why not have a 'skill level' button where the player can select a level they are comfortable with?
I doubt a kid today will keep coming back for more to a machine which drains dollar coins at the rate of $30 per hour. You need to perceive some sort of satisfaction and value for money at that rate.
The amusement industry needs to think hard, more than ever, on how to make money in keeping people happy and asking for more.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #612 on: January 20, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »
I have often thought about this Freiherr

I think it could be as simply as like the Transformers game - select left or right flipper button. A little bit of simple programming that then can be used on every game

Left - is for the beginner / casual player
Right - is for the deep rule set player

Then if the player sets up his game for beginner / casual player the game could ask
Left - for some instructions - via the DMD and like you said flashing the lights on features on the game with all the other lights going out so they can identify what they must do
Right - to just launch into the game

I also don't think this will be too hard for the kids as it is amazing how they can get around a iPad or there x-box

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #613 on: January 20, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
Better still,  the machine could be cycling through some of the features and rules while it is idle. With all the technology power at hand, idle machines do not do any better than they did 50 years ago. I know a lot of players who first tried BK after the machine called them over, sort of like a taunt for a joust. Simple use of technology more than 30 years ago. With today's technology at disposal, Avengers should engage new and old players 10x more.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #614 on: January 20, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
I just emailed Gary and George with some of our thoughts so will be interesting to hear what feedback comes back.

for pinball t-shirts