Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 21607 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #645 on: February 07, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
Hulk LE review from the pinball ninja.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Not a glowing review really, but only small issues.

Peter

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #646 on: February 07, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

WOW that is a real eye opener video! It is a great game to play, ABSOLUTELY but I think I will whack my loose change into it ( if seen on site ) and not purchase.
Good luck in your hunt for any LE in the wild.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #647 on: February 07, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Not a glowing review really, but only small issues.

Peter

It should have next to no issues when spending that amount of $$$.
The lack of extra clearcoat, bulbs falling out and balls getting stuck reguarlly are pretty big imo.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #648 on: February 07, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »
For every one negative review, there are ten positive reviews.
The balls getting stuck under Hulkys arm have been fixed mostly with the new code update. If it does get stuck, its for a split second anyway, and a adjustment can be made as well. When i played the Avengers at Timezone 100 times, it got stuck 1 in 20 games only, and that is using the old/orig code.

Pro games are designed to be sited. Why would a operator want to spend an extra 40 percent to site a LE when he can site a Pro and save alot of money. Hence, LE units are for home sales mostly if the operator is switched on.
Pinball machines are mechanical devices. There is no such thing as a perfect mechanical device and all of us on here will be utilising these machines in a home environment anyway, so the siting option isnt on the table for us anyway cause thats not what the majority of pinball buyers buy pinball machines for anyway. Its early days, everything is usually easily fixed with a quick adjustment.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #649 on: February 07, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
I would call it a positive review as it points out the problems associated with this game, thus giving the potential buyer that may not have the opportunity to play the game in person a greater insight to help them make a more informed decision before deciding to purchase.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #650 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »
I would call it a positive review as it points out the problems associated with this game, thus giving the potential buyer that may not have the opportunity to play the game in person a greater insight to help them make a more informed decision before deciding to purchase.
This review would be too late for potential buyers as the LEs are generally sold out by the time a review hits Youtube. The review is of value to the owners but potential buyers could only decide on Pro or Premiums.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #651 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »
This review would be too late for potential buyers as the LEs are generally sold out by the time a review hits Youtube. The review is of value to the owners but potential buyers could only decide on Pro or Premiums.

LE's are still available for sale over here though.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #652 on: February 07, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
This review would be too late for potential buyers as the LEs are generally sold out by the time a review hits Youtube.

And there's the rub, what is sold out?

Sold out from Stern - yes absolutely, but individual collectors cannot buy directly from Stern anyway so that is moot.

Sold out from distributors - no, but just about every major distrib across the globe has caught on to the new Stern production philosophy and no distrib dares NOT buy at least a couple of LE machines just in case the machine turns out to be:
1: an instant hit which they can cash in on while the hype is at its peak.
2. a sleeper title which they can cash in on 12 months down the track.
3. a dud which they can leave boxed up in the back of the warehouse and bring it out in 10 years time and cash in on when all the other NIB LE versions have long been opened.

Personally I find this new production philosophy a tad disappointing (and short sighted) for the future of pinball overall, but whatever gets the units out the door I guess.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:20:12 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Ant

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #653 on: February 07, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »
I'm reading on this fourm and others about the balls getting stuck on the avengers.
But on my machines and others that I have played on, I get the odd ball stuck every now and then.

If it happens in other machines then why do people keep having a go at just the avengers and not any other pinball. Is it because it's new and does every new pinball get this type of go over? ^&^

Anthony
Looking for The Simpsons Pinball Party and Dungeons and Dragons.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #654 on: February 07, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
I'm reading on this fourm and others about the balls getting stuck on the avengers.
But on my machines and others that I have played on, I get the odd ball stuck every now and then.

If it happens in other machines then why do people keep having a go at just the avengers and not any other pinball. Is it because it's new and does every new pinball get this type of go over? ^&^

Anthony
+1
Anything mechanical can get stuck whether they are pinballs or bowling balls and pins at ten pin bowling.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #655 on: February 07, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »
anyone getting the new Avengers ensure you contact AMD to get your free hulk plastic and rubber upgrade to stop balls getting jammed - Stern did a small free retro kit to reduce balls getting caught.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #656 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
anyone getting the new Avengers ensure you contact AMD to get your free hulk plastic and rubber upgrade to stop balls getting jammed - Stern did a small free retro kit to reduce balls getting caught.
So no pure virgin NIBs. Funny thing, I had my Hulk inspected
as Bruce highly recommended. and just as well.
Hulk smash on journey to Australia and now will get Frankenstein as the whole headbox will be exchanged.
Probably a 10 day wait.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #657 on: February 07, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »
So no pure virgin NIBs. Funny thing, I had my Hulk inspected
as Bruce highly recommended. and just as well.
Hulk smash on journey to Australia and now will get Frankenstein as the whole headbox will be exchanged.
Probably a 10 day wait.

thats a bummer
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #658 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
Yes, a bummer. Bruce said that both sides of the headbox were scraped somehow and he will get a new one from Stern. I think it is a good idea for the distributors to do a pre delivery check especially if you live far from the distributor. I live about 2 hours from AMD so if I picked up machine as is, I would have had to re-pack and drive back. One road trip is more than enough for a new pinball.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #659 on: February 07, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »
Great to hear Bruce will have it fixed asap.
They have travelled half way around the world so its expected sometimes unfortunately.

I have a machine coming up this next week or so from Bruce-AMD, so I hope my machine arrives damage free, but even if i got some of that crappy luck, at least i know Bruce and Stern would fix it quick smart which is re-assuring.

Re Sterns marketing etc, Stern markets a machine for every income level. The Pin at the cheapest level, the Pro next, then the Premium and the LE last ofcourse. Its not like they arent trying hard to cover all bases to try n keep all income groups happy with different models.
If they only had one model, people would complain. They have 4 models with even more variants and people still complain. Go figure.lol  !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !