Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 21661 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #675 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
Clay Harrell provides honest review of Hulk LE model.

Warning: This review contains complaints about build and design quality of Stern pinball machines and value for money. Stern fans are advised to practice deep breathing exercises before viewing.  *)*

Watch until the very end where Clay provides 4 pages of quality control problems including the threat made by G Stern that if parts suppliers do not decrease their costs, they will source all their replacement parts from China for future machines.

thanks for posting:
- for me the hulk version is unique but too green for me
- the layout is interesting
- I am not a fan of the lhs and rhs flat plastic ramps but could live with it, but really not a fan of the obstructive view of 2 of the 4 loki targets
- but those 555 bulbs have gotta change, that would annoy me and is just poor QA and design - I'm stunned....

I was going to get a pro but work issues changed that but I might be thankful for it but will withhold saying anymore until I play it - but I so wanted to love it.

Thanks again Pinsanity
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #676 on: February 18, 2013, 08:45:50 PM »
Notice the nice CONGO pinball machine in the background to the rear left.  ^^^

The man has good taste.

and I totally agree with the coments re the various 555 bulb issues etc. I dont find the LE in any model to be a value for money machine which is why i buy the Pro models etc. (buts thats just me) Many people are very happy with their LE's ofcourse.
Stern needs to address everyone of those design faults/dumb decisions, espescially the 555 bulb choices. Why didnt they use the bayonet style ?, it doesnt make sense at all to use anything but bayonet...Hulk arms trapping the ball, i could live with that cause later code has fixed it mostly, and the inlane lights being not visible is just plain laziness on the part of the designer...why George let that thru is beyond me, was the game rushed a little ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:03:01 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #677 on: February 18, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
Very interesting and concerning at the same time.
Regarding one of the points - going to China direct could actually benefit the quality in some cases if done for the right reasons. It would cut out the middle man to reduce costs and maybe pass on some cost savings to the customer. China has come a long way with manufacturing and technology, who knows maybe the Chinese parts may end up being better than what's being used and cheaper too.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #678 on: February 19, 2013, 03:06:26 AM »
- but those 555 bulbs have gotta change, that would annoy me and is just poor QA and design - I'm stunned....

There really is only one answer that can be arrived at - the machines just aren't being play tested properly at any stage of the design/build process prior to general release. The minute the ball started bouncing off the slingshots and the led's started falling out (from multiple areas on the playfield) would be the immediate sign that something is wrong.

The end consumer is now the play tester -the only part that keeps the "sales engine" running smoothly is the backup service from the local distributor(s) when the machine develops (or arrives with) a fault.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:10:23 AM by pinsanity »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #679 on: February 19, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »
My BIB LE  has 555 on PF and I've never had one pop out.

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #680 on: February 19, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
Clay's review sums up where Stern is at. What annoyed me was the quote "The LE is what you USED to get, for half the price". The usual thing to do when cutting corners is to reduce the price, but Stern increased the price. The biggest reason why I won't own a new Stern is because you don't get value for money, and the quality is poor. They should look at having the game made in China, as it is clear that "made in the USA" is not working.

Everybody agrees - We want to like Stern, but they are cost cutting and INCREASING the price rather than LOWERING the price. As Clay says - "It's a GREAT $4500 machine." You should be getting what you paid for.

Again, it would be nice to play one to see for myself, but there's no Stern distributor showrooms in Melbourne.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #681 on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
So there's no Avengers to play on site anywhere in Melbourne? My girlfriend we suggested we check it out when we go to Melbourne in a few weeks. I said I didn't think it was available to play anywhere.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #682 on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
So there's no Avengers to play on site anywhere in Melbourne? My girlfriend we suggested we check it out when we go to Melbourne in a few weeks. I said I didn't think it was available to play anywhere.

Maybe cashbox have one Adam to play?

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #683 on: February 19, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »
I wonder what Clay thinks about the Pro versions ?  Is it just the LE he thinks is the issue, or is it all models. ? Are domestic USA models slightly different to export models etc, or are they all the same ?

Interestingly, I havent seen anyone on AP ever have any of these issues with things breaking on welds nor have I seen any of the other issues on any Aussie Sterns that he reported on (except 555 bulbs coming out occassionally)......if anyone on here had these issues, then i would have thought it would have been reported/raised immediately. Or is it only operator machines onsite that start to show some of these hassles ?

If anyone knows him personally, It would be good if you were able to send him a email and get his feedback on the Pro versions.
Has anyone on here had any of these issues with their brand new Sterns ?  !@#

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #684 on: February 19, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »
My BIB LE  has 555 on PF and I've never had one pop out.

Peter
+1
In fact I had to change a blown one and it took some effort to pull it out.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #685 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
Our BIB LE gets played every day so it has run up about 4000 games. Still good as new. Had to change a couple of rubbers and half a dozen tri-LEDs which are Chinese made.
Put in Blings as the standard balls are crap (probably Chinese as well).
I found the game plays better as it gets older and everything is run in.
I have no issues with Stern quality.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #686 on: February 19, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »
Our BIB LE gets played every day so it has run up about 4000 games. Still good as new. Had to change a couple of rubbers and half a dozen tri-LEDs which are Chinese made.
Put in Blings as the standard balls are crap (probably Chinese as well).
I found the game plays better as it gets older and everything is run in.
I have no issues with Stern quality.

Same story with mine.

Peter

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #687 on: February 19, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »
I wonder if manufacturing lines have bad days like the rest of do?
perhaps a dud machine may come out of the factory due to poor quality assurance, but in the main most of the NIB Sterns don't seem to have these issues as far as I can read. My ACDC is being pounded by every guest that comes over (including the infuriating flipper slappers that think it helps to bang/slap the buttons as hard as they can for some unkown reason) and no issues as yet.
I agree the side outlane lites are a stupid overside - surely an easy mod to change to platics in that area can be done by Stern or one of the guru's here?
The 555s on ACDC don't pose any problems. Did the blue tac trick with the lightning flashers that I replaced, but the rest have been fine.
I don't think its an obviously biased review, but does manage to put me off getting a hulk if there were any available. I assume Blue has same issues re 555s?

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #688 on: February 19, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
Very small issues that are easily fixed IMO, not sure what the agenda is really but anyway I would say 95% of buyers of stern would be very happy me included %$% , don't let a few small issues put you off buying a NIB oh and there's a cheap LE about to finish on Ebay later today.

Peter

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #689 on: February 19, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
Not sure there is any agenda at all.. its an appraisal from Clay where he draws the conclusion that the machine could and should have been made better. Its something i have said about STERN for years and the majority of the pinball community would agree.
I did like the TRON i played at Pinfest and thought for $5-$6K it was a great machine.. bang for buck.. then i got told it the LE and this is a mod.. thats a mod.. thats a mod..and i changed my mind... no more bang for buck, but still a great machine if you have a lazy $10K+