Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 21581 times)

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #690 on: February 19, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
Very happy with my first NIB experience - X-Men Wolverine LE.

Very slight imperfection in the screening on the playfield - hardly noticeable. Got excellent after sales service both from Joe at Kids Wanna Have Fun Amusements as well as Stern directly. Got a signed X-Men Pro translite and spare Wolverine figure.

I don't get the general Stern "cheap" and "clunky" comments. The game is as solid and as reliable as any of my other games I own. Anything that is man made and travels half way around the world is prone to have small issues.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #691 on: February 19, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
Very happy with my first NIB experience - X-Men Wolverine LE.

Very slight imperfection in the screening on the playfield - hardly noticeable. Got excellent after sales service both from Joe at Kids Wanna Have Fun Amusements as well as Stern directly. Got a signed X-Men Pro translite and spare Wolverine figure.

I don't get the general Stern "cheap" and "clunky" comments. The game is as solid and as reliable as any of my other games I own. Anything that is man made and travels half way around the world is prone to have small issues.

I think clay is from "the old school", and he knows Woodrails to DMDs "back to front". I think if the LE was given to him to review without him knowing the price tag, then he would not have commented about the quality in a negative light. That's where most of the criticisms come from. The LEDs falling out can be on any game - I think it has more to do with the LEDs than the game. I agree with most of what he reported, it is a $4500 pinball machine, not a $7500. You get what you pay for. I have not played Avengers, Tron or Transformers, so I don't know if the build quality is decreasing or not. I've had concerns about the clearcoat since Ironman.

I look forward to playing a later model Stern (post AC/DC - which I liked very much).
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #692 on: February 19, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »
Most of the negative comments are from guys that don't have a stern or have never bought a NIB,  I jump up and down because you don't own one so how do you know what from reading stuff? listen to the guys that have spent there hard earned cash and bar a few very small issues there more than happy there f**king wrapped. Stern this stern that geez they have kept our passion alive for years yeah OK they have copied like most car makers do, they all end up with ideas after BMW and Mercedes invented them years ago stiff shit get over it and most likely keeps the cost down <.> anyway there will always be the trolls the shit stirrers and so on but you know what I love my two sterns and that's all that matters!! now I have to go to work  %$%

Peter

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #693 on: February 19, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
I own a Tron Pro and like the machine, don't get me wrong, but certainly agree the play-field is not the same quality as some my williams machines.. The coating seems weaker (than something 20 years old) i.e where you screw in the outlane posts, they leave a decent dint in the play-field like it is soft, at least much softer than my Williams machines...

I am very interested to see how one of these playfields holds up over 20 years to say dimpling and the insert edges?

The printing is kind of crappy on play-field and cabinet too.. They are cutting some corners and are not cheap machines (gladly I bought mine SH not new), so it is hard to justify cutting corners to get the price down.. But if I paid around $9k for an LE with that print quality on the decals and play-field I would say that is a joke too..

I am not saying I don't like the machine, don't get me wrong, but the quality is reduced in some ways despite the high(ish) prices, I am glad JJP and others are coming up as I think increased competition (if it takes off) will fix the laziness that results from being the only choice..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:20:13 PM by joele »
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #694 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
Most of the negative comments are from guys that don't have a stern or have never bought a NIB,  I jump up and down because you don't own one so how do you know what from reading stuff? listen to the guys that have spent there hard earned cash and bar a few very small issues there more than happy there f**king wrapped. Stern this stern that geez they have kept our passion alive for years yeah OK they have copied like most car makers do, they all end up with ideas after BMW and Mercedes invented them years ago stiff shit get over it and most likely keeps the cost down <.> anyway there will always be the trolls the shit stirrers and so on but you know what I love my two sterns and that's all that matters!! now I have to go to work  %$%

Peter

I'd love to play a late model Stern and judge for myself. There will always be knockers and admirers. I was very impressed with AC/DC when I finally got around to playing a few games. Personally, I have to rely on what I read and see in reviews - But you are right - it is best to play one for myself.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #695 on: February 19, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
I'd love to play a late model Stern and judge for myself. There will always be knockers and admirers. I was very impressed with AC/DC when I finally got around to playing a few games. Personally, I have to rely on what I read and see in reviews - But you are right - it is best to play one for myself.

Welcome to try my tron in northeast melbourne..  %.%
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #696 on: February 19, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
I noticed the Quilton rolls not as good as they were 12 months ago. Still the best on the market. Same thing with Tim Tams, not as good as they once were but you can't find anything else with the same taste. We need to realise the whole world is changing to save money, not just Stern.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #697 on: February 19, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »
We need to realise the whole world is changing to save money, not just Stern.

Changing to save money in what way? so they can afford to pay higher CEO and senior management salaries? lol, if they were cutting corners to drop the price well that is justifiable, to cut corners and increase price tends to annoy people and generally is more prevalent when their is no competition..

I think if we had more competition things would be a little different..
-----

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #698 on: February 19, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »
Just bought a toaster and the chromes not real like my old 20 year old one and the F**ker was dearer its just not pinball guys lets get real here

Peter

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #699 on: February 19, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
We need to realise the whole world is changing to save money, not just Stern.

Changing to save money in what way? so they can afford to pay higher CEO and senior management salaries? lol, if they were cutting corners to drop the price well that is justifiable, to cut corners and increase price tends to annoy people and generally is more prevalent when their is no competition..

I think if we had more competition things would be a little different..

Don't worry jack will save the world just be patient lol just for the record do you have a WOZ on order?

Peter

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #700 on: February 19, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
Don't worry jack will save the world just be patient lol just for the record do you have a WOZ on order?

Peter

no, I don't pre-order products untested, I will wait and try the final product first...

Competition does tend to spur innovation and creativity though, monopolies generally do not work the best for consumers...
-----

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #701 on: February 19, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »

Peter

no, I don't pre-order products untested, I will wait and try the final product first...

Competition does tend to spur innovation and creativity though, monopolies generally do not work the best for consumers...

True but stern where the only pinball makers no one else wanted to so they have kept the dream alive and in the recent and past economy we have been luckily I reckon

Peter

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #702 on: February 19, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
True but stern where the only pinball makers no one else wanted to so they have kept the dream alive and in the recent and past economy we have been luckily I reckon

Peter

I am not denying they did 'keep the dream alive' and were/are very good to have. I just think in some ways they have gotten a little slack with the lack of competition and if we do get some half decent competing products (that we can actually buy, LOL) it will kick Stern up a notch..
-----

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #703 on: February 19, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »

Peter

I am not denying they did 'keep the dream alive' and were/are very good to have. I just think in some ways they have gotten a little slack with the lack of competition and if we do get some half decent competing products (that we can actually buy, LOL) it will kick Stern up a notch..

Yep point taken :-)

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #704 on: February 19, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
My current concern is that with Jersey Jack machines, they're WAY out of my price range for what I'd pay for a pinball machine regardless of what features or great gameplay they supposedly had. I don't want it to turn into a space race to see which manufacturer can bring out the most expensive machine. $6000 for a new in box machine has been achievable, but I'd like to see a cheaper machine, but doubt I'll see that happen.