Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 21400 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #750 on: March 07, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
to add to the off site servicing, AMD should host a course for registered techs, so they could be licensed to fix warranty New Stern jobs and be paid by AMD to do so once approved by them of course. This would save freighting pins back to AMD and allow say people like Beaky to fix machines in the Byron, Gold Coast, and Brisbane areas and Skybeaux in the Newcastle area etc and many others around the country and the guy closest to the repair / warranty claim is offered the work first.

This helps the techs with some more business and would only give AMD a better sales point with register service warranty techs around Aus and also be more comforting for the guys purchasing a pin.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:39:07 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #751 on: March 07, 2013, 08:29:46 AM »
I agree with cavey, especially in your circumstances with having head replaced, you already have been stuffed around a lot. They should be coming to you.

I wonder if in replacing the head that it missed some critical checks that normally would be isolated at the factory or a wire or plug has been located in correctly.

Did stern replace the head box only and all the boards moved from one box to another by AMD?

As for others further away we need to return the item to them, keeps their cost down which is a another reason why they should have a registered tech in each state at least if not other distributors.

Thanks guys, you got me thinking straight, I will get onto Bruce.

Looking at the hardware in the headbox, all the serial number stickers look clean and original so it looks like the electronics are original. The sticker on the back of the box was peeled off and re-applied by the look of it.
A quick inspection inside the headbox, I also noted a burnt F7 fuse. A look in the manual shows this to be the one for "Magnet (s) or Special Application". I actually switched off the magnets from the Service Manual just before the problem game. I wonder if there is something related there?
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #752 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »
OK that is interesting.
Switching something off in the adjustment settings shouldnt have caused a meltdown, because afterall, the setting is designed to give certain parts/features of the game a break incase a tech or a onsite operator wants the game to play even though something might have stopped working.

What was the original reason to turn the magnet features off ? and how many games did u get before it went weird ? was it turned off because u saw the burnt J7 fuse.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #753 on: March 07, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
No, machine was playing fine up to that last game. It was off for a day or so, I decided to switch off magnet to see what difference it would make to play and straight after that began the ball from hell. The burnt fuse was noticed this morning. I am not sure if that went before or during the meltdown game.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:06:44 PM by Freiherr »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #754 on: March 07, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »
If it is not a issue with the head replacement you never know if there is a update in the next few days you know that maybe a glitch in programming

how is AMD with you issue? They should give you a Avengers pro or x-men as a loaner for the inconvenience especially with the hassles and delay you had with the backbox. And before anyone says anything I am not bashing AMD as it was a freight issue from the US and AMD are giving you good customer service.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:01:15 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #755 on: March 07, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
Is there the smaller aux driver board as well?  I know ACDCs had many issues with transistors shorting causing similar issues

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #756 on: March 07, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
AMD should come out and most likely will as its a warranty issue. Good luck

Peter

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #757 on: March 07, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »

Peter
+1 All warranty issues should be done in YOUR home.Who wants to be carting a pinball machine around like a sack of potatoes eveytime there is a problem,the more you transport it the more risk you run in regards to cab damage ect.I use a pin teck from Sydney and he has often stated that he would like to be the teck in that region for the Stern warranty issues.He is a FULL time teck and travells many miles a week in doing repairs on pins ect,and is a whiz on all eras of machines.I suppose it all comes down to keeping it all in house as AMD do not want to out source the repair work ?.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #758 on: March 07, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »

Peter
+1 All warranty issues should be done in YOUR home.Who wants to be carting a pinball machine around like a sack of potatoes eveytime there is a problem,the more you transport it the more risk you run in regards to cab damage ect.I use a pin teck from Sydney and he has often stated that he would like to be the teck in that region for the Stern warranty issues.He is a FULL time teck and travells many miles a week in doing repairs on pins ect,and is a whiz on all eras of machines.I suppose it all comes down to keeping it all in house as AMD do not want to out source the repair work ?.

You do wonder if AMD want to keep costs down (performing repairs) through people not wanting to deliver their pins back to the distributor for repairs as it is a pain for us to make the trek there and then back home on the day or return again a period later or even worse risk freighting it. People often would more than likely prefer to try to self diagnose and send just the part it the hope that it solves it as you don't want to risk cab damage.

there should be registered tech's all over the country - maybe do Norbet's course first and be doing tech work as your full time job to qualify = helps the customer and helps AMD = win win
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:26:03 PM by pinnies4me »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #759 on: March 08, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
Looks like the Pinball Ninja was right in his recent review. I think my Hulk looks like a casualty of Stern cost cutting. Check his summary on the driver boards.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #760 on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:51 PM »
goo research, sounds like your situation, whats the update with your machine?

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #761 on: March 08, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »
Been flat out last couple of days. Will send Bruce email over the weekend with a rundown on my recollection prior to coil meltdown and will ask him to send a technician over.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #762 on: March 08, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »

Peter

On that note, what is there to stop an owner of an under warranty Stern from going to a qualified tech of their choosing, getting the repair done and presented on a properly recognised tax invoice and then presenting AMD with the bill? Has there been any opportunity for this situation to arise and if so, what has AMD's position/response been?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #763 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
Re Stern quality issues, 2 x things i noticed on my AC/DC Pro, the 2 x black metal flaps that are on the end of my ramps have gone completely rusty after only 240 home games. The balls are still fine, so its a application process to blue the flaps which never worked properly at all.

I got a baby wipe, and wiped the rust off, and basically 90 percent of the black has come completely off the 2 x metal ramp flaps. Very cheap process used here from factory.  Also, on the X Men Pro, they are now factory silver, no black on them at all, and I now know why.

Also, on the door of the AC/DC Pro, there are a couple of bolts that hold the coin door onto the cabinet, these have gone rusty like the ramp flaps, yet the machine sits inside away from any sea air etc, and on close inspection, the bolts were supposed to have a black coating, but you can see some have been covered very well, and others not well at all.

After a fine tooth comb inspection, there are no other problems on the machines at all, everything else is perfect.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #764 on: March 08, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
Maybe the humidity in QLD Brett makes them rust??

Peter