Author Topic: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)  (Read 21449 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern - Avengers Pinball (late 2012)
« Reply #765 on: March 08, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »
Maybe the humidity in QLD Brett makes them rust??

Peter

hasnt happened to any of the other 3 dozen pinnys so it is isolated just to Stern AC/DC unfortunately.
Its only very minor and I can fix in 5 minutes, but just worth mentioning incase someone else has the same hassle... !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #766 on: March 08, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »

After a fine tooth comb inspection, there are no other problems on the machines at all, everything else is perfect.

My concern is what you do not see. In fact, wiring is so thin that you can go with fine tooth comb without any problems. What used to be 18 gauge standard went to 22 and now Stern is using 24 gauge China wire which is less than half the 18 gauge thickness. The China wire is cheap and breaks very easily. This is probably OK for casual home use but it is a nightmare for operators which is probably why you do not see too many in the wild.
A big concern is how good will these wires be in say 10 years time?
As Pete also says, the Qld humidity will wreak havoc on metal and electrical components. Sydney is not much better because we often get the left overs of the sunny Qld big wets. Vic machines will probably be the most sought after in the future.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Ant68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #767 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »

Peter

I'd say thats what it is .

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #768 on: March 09, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »

Peter

Rusty ramp flaps are nothing new for Stern.

Local onsite machine, minimal humidity and nowhere near the ocean.

Yes, Mr Sandman decided to take a nap.  #@#

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #769 on: March 09, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
He might be stoned !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #770 on: March 09, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »
He might be stoned !

Who pinsanity of sandman lol

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #771 on: March 17, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
George Gomez talks about Avengers at the Texas Pinball Festival > info below >
George Gomez

He began by talking about his childhood experiences getting acquainted with Marvel comics and how he liked the real-world references. Then, turning to The Avengers, he said his role at the company puts him in a different position where he is not supposed to be designing games, and maybe The Avengers is his last design.

He said he really wanted to get the model out in time for Christmas, but that proved to be very difficult and resulted in a number of issues with those games, which are being addressed through updates and service packs.

George spoke about some of the design changes which were made to The Avengers, such as an original underground Loki lock, the H-U-L-K targets were originally standups which were attached to, and lifted with, the Black Widow ramp. There was also a kickout below the Nick Fury target which fired the ball at the Tesseract spinner, but was taken out as it slowed the game down too much.

George points out the elements removed from The Avengers

He said with The Avengers he wanted to break out of his 'signature' design elements, such as the 'fan' design for which he is known, something he thinks he achieved. He addressed criticisms about the inability to see the inlane inserts and apologised for it, saying he didn't personally find it a problem, but appreciates others do. He also talked about the ramp construction method he prefers, saying it isn't done because it is cheaper, but because it allows much more precise control over the thickness and the artwork on them.

George then turned to the game's speech, saying they didn't have the money to get the movie's actors record samples, but they also didn't want to be restricted by the movie's storyline so could make the characters talk about the game's plot rather than the movie's. He also showed a number of alternate backglass/translite designs which never made it to production, although he said the company might make them available as after-sales mods.

Talking about the game development, he said at Stern they use a high-speed camera to record the gameplay to see what the ball is doing if there are any problem areas. That was, he said, how they diagnosed the problem some people were having shooting the Black Widow ramp.

George shows how The Hulk was created

The Pin - the consumer version of their full-size games - was George's next topic. He described taking the games to the CES show and how the company's stand was mobbed eight hours a day, and the dozens of interviews he and Gary Stern had gave to the world's media.

Asked about technological developments in Stern games, George said soon we will see new board sets, new displays and new cabinet construction, with the new boardset will be the most powerful pinball control system by far. Even so, he said they are committed to mechanical action pinball with the focus on what happens under the glass.
>>>>>>>

**Thats made me want to wait for my Avengers Pro or Avengers Premium longer than the container coming in May.

I really want a machine with "those games, which are being addressed through updates and service packs".

Before I take delivery, I will be getting 100 percent confirmation of what exactly comes with a service pack.....it would be good if they redesigned those plastics for the inlane areas.

Anyway, more news to come on Avengers I reckon from Stern perhaps.......

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #772 on: March 18, 2013, 08:52:25 AM »
AMD should come out and most likely will as its a warranty issue. Good luck

Peter
+1 All warranty issues should be done in YOUR home.Who wants to be carting a pinball machine around like a sack of potatoes eveytime there is a problem,the more you transport it the more risk you run in regards to cab damage ect.I use a pin teck from Sydney and he has often stated that he would like to be the teck in that region for the Stern warranty issues.He is a FULL time teck and travells many miles a week in doing repairs on pins ect,and is a whiz on all eras of machines.I suppose it all comes down to keeping it all in house as AMD do not want to out source the repair work ?.

Agree with ALL of this 100%

WHY is the PINBALL RETAILING industry ANY different to any other ‘product seller”
They are bound by the same rules and laws.

Can you imagine telling Mr Jim Consumer that bought a 400 litre fridge 3 weeks ago that HE has to get it back to a service centre !
Imagine yourself being told that
Mate – the consumer would HIT THE ROOF and scream bloody blue murder , call Dept of Fair Trade and within a day the service would be getting organised IN THIER HOUSE.
What makes the pinball retailer ANY different ?
What allows the pinball retailer to ( basically ) ‘get away with this’- remembering they are a RESLLER that is selling a product – at its bare bones it is a product.

WHAT do people do that buy a Stern off AMD and have no way of transporting the game so they pay $200 initially to get the delivery of their new game
HOW does someone like that just ‘take it back’ for service?
DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #773 on: March 18, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »
AMD should come out and most likely will as its a warranty issue. Good luck

Peter
+1 All warranty issues should be done in YOUR home.Who wants to be carting a pinball machine around like a sack of potatoes eveytime there is a problem,the more you transport it the more risk you run in regards to cab damage ect.I use a pin teck from Sydney and he has often stated that he would like to be the teck in that region for the Stern warranty issues.He is a FULL time teck and travells many miles a week in doing repairs on pins ect,and is a whiz on all eras of machines.I suppose it all comes down to keeping it all in house as AMD do not want to out source the repair work ?.

Agree with ALL of this 100%

WHY is the PINBALL RETAILING industry ANY different to any other ‘product seller”
They are bound by the same rules and laws.

Can you imagine telling Mr Jim Consumer that bought a 400 litre fridge 3 weeks ago that HE has to get it back to a service centre !
Imagine yourself being told that
Mate – the consumer would HIT THE ROOF and scream bloody blue murder , call Dept of Fair Trade and within a day the service would be getting organised IN THIER HOUSE.
What makes the pinball retailer ANY different ?
What allows the pinball retailer to ( basically ) ‘get away with this’- remembering they are a RESLLER that is selling a product – at its bare bones it is a product.

WHAT do people do that buy a Stern off AMD and have no way of transporting the game so they pay $200 initially to get the delivery of their new game
HOW does someone like that just ‘take it back’ for service?

It all comes down to finding Techs that will go onsite. The problem is that distributors are geared towards operators, who are basically left to fend for themselves for site repairs. Home repairs is a new concept. Dealers bring in second hand games and sell into the home market with no "real" warranty. Even so, the machines are "return to base" - often so they can find a tech to do the work in their "state of the art workshop".

The HOME warranty industry needs to "start" - not "change". The first thing Stern need to do is re write their warranties to suit the countries the machines are being sold into. This needs to be done with the local distributor / importer. Once this happens, then buyers will have more confidence in purchasing a new game and the "peace of mind" that if they do experience a problem, then a fully trained tech will turn up at their house and fix their game.

These processes need to get into motion while the home market is buying into new pins. Make it more attractive to buy a new game. I don't want to hear the old crap "Operators don't care as there is no money in pinball" - this needs to happen at the manufacturer's level. From what I've seen in the last 9 months, it needs to happen sooner rather than later.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #774 on: March 18, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
As far as I know ( and I am no expert , but know the basics ) ......an ‘importer of goods’ MUST ( by law ) carry ‘X’ amount of common back up parts for a product they are selling and offer a service / repair procedure that guarantees the consumer a speedy resolution to any warranty issues.

As Nino stated , the home pinball buyer ( is surely ) now Stern distributors biggest market here and they surely must adapt and change QUICKLY if they are selling predominantly into that market.

I honestly think if properly ‘challenged’ through the appropriate dept on a warranty issue that currently the pinball consumer would win out as things currently stand
DW Drums rule !

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #775 on: March 18, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »
AMD have arranged for Rod Brooks from the pinballpeople to come on site and repair machine in my case. I suppose it is OK when you live in a major city like Sydney but what happens to someone living in a place like Wombat? A technician would have to fly in.

These warranty issues of getting good technicians on site is something JJP has to face as well as Stern. Australia is a huge challenge compared to Europe and USA. We have a small population with a large land mass far away and probably the largest number of machines per capita to any other country.

There are several levels of competency to pinball knowledge by home players/enthusiasts:
1. The 'no knowledge' person where some LEDs and rubbers have broken after one month of operation. This person will call for technician when someone else will not be scared to remove the glass, raise the playfield and do some solder and give the playfield a good clean.
2. The 'basic knowledge' person who knows where to touch and where not to touch.
3. The 'pinball tech whiz' who should be employed by the distributors if not already so.

In all cases, both parties need a clear understanding of the warranty and responsibilty outlined under the warranty.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #776 on: March 18, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
Having said all of the above I just visited AMD an hour ago and played AV - LE Hulk
I think it is excellent with some VERY tight and hidden shots
Nice open playfield and the Black Widow shot is a Beeeeiiiiitch - but SO SWEET when you nail it.
I also like the 2 posts that bring rubber out slightly onto the playfield above the return lanes as it adds randomness to the play
I really enjoyed the time I spent on it.

The 'hidden' lane lights werent THAT bothersome.
I could not fault anything else.

The ball came out of the HULK target area fine and that area played well
DW Drums rule !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #777 on: March 18, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
AMD have arranged for Rod Brooks from the pinballpeople to come on site and repair machine in my case. I suppose it is OK when you live in a major city like Sydney but what happens to someone living in a place like Wombat? A technician would have to fly in.

These warranty issues of getting good technicians on site is something JJP has to face as well as Stern. Australia is a huge challenge compared to Europe and USA. We have a small population with a large land mass far away and probably the largest number of machines per capita to any other country.

There are several levels of competency to pinball knowledge by home players/enthusiasts:
1. The 'no knowledge' person where some LEDs and rubbers have broken after one month of operation. This person will call for technician when someone else will not be scared to remove the glass, raise the playfield and do some solder and give the playfield a good clean.
2. The 'basic knowledge' person who knows where to touch and where not to touch.
3. The 'pinball tech whiz' who should be employed by the distributors if not already so.

In all cases, both parties need a clear understanding of the warranty and responsibilty outlined under the warranty.

maybe that is why we pay so much more for new stern's over here, to cover business class airfares for the warranty service man.  !@#

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #778 on: March 18, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »
Wotto, if u ever decided to buy one,  u will/would enjoy the Avengers Pro by just adding a few LEDS. I found the Thor targets on the left would definately benifit by brighter Leds when the game is being played with overhead lights, but nothing major at all.

Yes, there are some crazy angles to hit some of the various required shots around the playfield, and this is espescially what i liked about the Avengers Pro, the fact that sooo many shots are difficult, and different to the norm, espescially most stand up targets.

When u first play the Avengers, the playfield feels a bit messy''er than most layouts, but its this unusual playfield layout which is the big drawcard because it is sooo different.  Different means attractive, fun and challenging to me with this layout.

It kicks your bum, and thats another thing I want from a pinball machine sometimes. I like getting off a game and thinking you bastard, you flogged me again, and again, I will get u next time, arrrggghhhh.   That makes for a game u dont get bored of.

I wonder whether the HULK LE u played had the latest code or not, cause the latest code is soo much better n offers alot more than the first release.
I reckon a Avengers Pro with a compliment of LEDS will be awesome. The cabinet art and translite are exceptional. Very nice indeed.
George Gomez has said this will probably be his last pinball game he designs so he can focus on being the VP of design etc. I hope he changes his mind and designs more games because he is a talented man. Imagine Borgy, George and Steve R designing a super game alltogether, that would be awesome. Until then, go the Avengers Pro.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #779 on: March 18, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

maybe that is why we pay so much more for new stern's over here, to cover business class airfares for the warranty service man.  !@#

Lol