Author Topic: T2...To install a post between the flippers or not to install??  (Read 865 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Manual seems to show it in the dozen or so diagrams of the playfield.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
It's factory. No doubt about it.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
I've decided to bite the bullet and install the post as it seems to drain way to easy. Wouldn't mind some advice as I've never done this before. There is a little cap looking thing covering the old hole under the clear coat I gues I just take this off and I should have a hole to insall the post?
Anything to look out for or be wary of ? How do the post's install? Where do I get one?
Thanks in advance.
Tim
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:58:45 AM by spacejam0 »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
DONT DO IT MATE  @.@

Even if it is in the manual does not mean that the production games were produced with it therefore NOT original.
Maybe the games you have seen them on were very early release games, I'd seriously think twice about it.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
DONT DO IT MATE  @.@

Even if it is in the manual does not mean that the production games were produced with it therefore NOT original.
Maybe the games you have seen them on were very early release games, I'd seriously think twice about it.
You have a lot more pinball expertise than me so I'll take that advice onboard thanks for the tip.
Out of curiousity why don't you like the post's and wouldn't it help with ball drain? I can understand if there not factory but if they are and someone has just removed this one when doing the restore (which is my guess on what happeneed) I can't see the problem. I must be missing something?
Thanks..Tim

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
If the touchup before clearcoat was a good one, I wouldn't re-install it.  Manuals and Flyers are made well before final production and often have features different to production models (different colours, wording, plastics, etc).
I'm pretty sure centre posts were asked for by a few european distributors for whatever reason and that is why we occasionally come across them in games over here.  I have never seen a T2 in the flesh with a centre post and would leave it out for a more challenging game as it was originally designed (I would suspect, you could email Steve Ritchie for confirmation though, it would definately set the record straight)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:44:19 PM by ktm450 »

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Main thing is, that its your game and you can do what you like to it.

In terms of whether its factory or not, i don't really know, but the 3 different T2's i've ever played have all had the post there, so i would have thought it would be factory?

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
True, it is totally up to you, but if there is no hole I wouldn't be putting one in there, I'm probally wrong but I cant remember any with a post, maybe we just had greedy operators in our area  *)*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
From the designer himself tonight -

To: nick
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: T2

I think all T2's had a post hole between the flippers. Some were shipped with miniposts installed, but a small plug was also supplied as far as I can remember. I will check into it later today and get back to you. "Restored" often means "buggered" over here, so the hole may have been filled? Don't get the drill out yet mate!

Steve

Steve
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
To: Nick
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:13 AM
Subject: Re: T2

Here's a link.  If you look closely, you will see the mini post between the flippers, below the "shoot again" insert.  My colleagues say that all games shipped with the post and the plug.

And there you have it!

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2524&picno=6668

It is interesting that his T2 DOESN'T have a hole. Has it been filled in?

[/i]

No wonder Steve is so well respected, taking time to answer. There's more to the email, but not on this topic.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:16:59 AM by pinnies4me »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Thanks for the insight Nick, I stand corrected. !@)  Maybe the couple I remember on site had plugs installed???

Drill away Tim, Steve says its ok  :lol

Great that he can take time out to answer a question like that, what a legend  ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Great that he can take time out to answer a question like that, what a legend  ^^^

Yes, he really is quite a legend, and for good reason. He commented on my Firepower pictures - funny how he designed one of the all time great games and looks like no-one showed him the CPR playfields in a game!

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
I've decided to bite the bullet and install the post as it seems to drain way to easy. Wouldn't mind some advice as I've never done this before. There is a little cap looking thing covering the old hole under the clear coat I gues I just take this off and I should have a hole to insall the post?
Anything to look out for or be wary of ? How do the post's install? Where do I get one?
Thanks in advance.
Tim
Put the post In mate u won't regret it makes it a far better game to play,

And the legend Steve Ritchie can't  be wrong *%*

As far as installing you will have to confirm your statement,blank cap is UNDER the clear?
Maybe post a pic for clarification...
If caps been installed after clearcoat,
It's simply a matter of removing plug and screw in the correct post,
Very carefully with a washer to protect the clear coat from damage
I'm pretty sure the post is T nutted under,
 will have a look at mine if u like So can track down the right one
Any of the Aussie suppliers should have one...
Peter
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
The post isn't t-nutted.

It's a WMS 02-4003 Mini-Post with 8-32 thread.

It has a washer and a locknut underneath the playfield.

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
The post isn't t-nutted.

It's a WMS 02-4003 Mini-Post with 8-32 thread.

It has a washer and a locknut underneath the playfield.

Yep Johns correct,just checked mine and its a nut and washer under

Attached a couple o Pics if it helps
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....