Author Topic: *VIDEOS added -TOYOTA New Technology is Amazing ! 2012 Vehicles  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Actually... it doesnt. Battery only to just over 21Klm ph.. then engine and battery.
It certainly saves fuel on drive off point and stop start driving is very inefficient for a petrol driven car.
Engine still runs during deceleration and EXCESS energy is put back into the battery ( to a certain point.. battery can only hold so much charge)... you are still burning fuel at this point.

Yes.. it will save on fuel costs.. no doubt about that, but video clearly shows battery only to pull away with.

Dont get me wrong Cavey... this is an interesting car and im not slamming it here, what im trying to do is ascertain just HOW efficient it is without any Toyota salesman bullshit... no point in asking a car salesman if you want the truth.

Just how long the battery lasts is a very important point... i can clearly see the benefits of pulling away and achieving fuel efficiency here so long as speed reaches over 21klm. Battery life is crucial here because if driving in heavy traffic, speeds of over 21klm's are not always reached for quite some time... so the question of how long the battery lasts is absolutely crucial. If it runs dead, does it damage it? If it runs dead, im assumng normal fuel driving takes over.. im assuming this cos it is not explained.

And this is my point all along...... there are lots of unanswered questions and as a consumer we need to ensure that the benefits exceed the pitfalls... there are always pitfalls and its OK for Toyota to only want to demonstrate the positives as a selling point. But if its THAT good... then please explain the flipside of the coin... then and only then will i believe all i hear

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
and one point I mentioned is that if you run out of petrol the car STOPS - regardless of the battery charge and the fact that it could easily power you to the nearest garage....WHY?

Isn't this one of the supposed advantages to having a partially battery powered car?

I can again reinforce that as I am VERY close to these pieces of shit being used as taxis (I am involved in the installation of the radio gear and other operational systems) I can assure the viewers that they are a very bad pile of crap!

The DRIVERS hate them...
The CUSTOMERS hate them.....
The owners LOVE them because their petrol bill is reduced (very short sighted view)....

They are FAR from green - they are CRAP!

Buy one and find out for yourself......

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
it might be the reason for it stopping when running out fuel is to not let the batteries run flat??? which might damage them, thats my only conclusion as to why they would do that.

Offline Prince

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Took my wife's CRV for servicing this morning, hence the pics of the courtesy hybrid car.
My understanding with all this is that the engine shuts off, once you're at complete standstill.
When the brake pedal is released, battery starts up the engine again.
SC.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
after test driving the 2012 prius v wagon, theres a few things of interets to understand. you have to drive the car to fully understand it.

when u are in the drivers seat, before u set off, you can chose to -
1. drive off from standing position in either battery only, or chose petrol only, or chose auto mode and the computer does it all.
2. when the car runs out of fuel, the battery still operates in the new toyota model i am told because the new one has the lithium battery, when it gets to a certain level it wont let u drive over a certain speed until it will ofcourse chose to slow til a safety stop, but given any car stops when out of petrol, the prius has the extra help with the battery. thats a bonus
3. I asked toyota australia today about who has these new V models and they have only been rolled out in the last 4 weeks. the cars u are talking about mike are not the same cars or models. toyota aust confirmed that about who has them and who doesnt. the old model is not the lithium battery, and the old model is, the older model. alot changes when a new model comes out.

the way to look at this new technology is to look at what it adds to a car. it simply gives u extra kilometres for free, thats right, free, cause travel on battery is free. and as we all know, strting off, and getting up to speed in a petrol car is where all the fuel is burned. de-accelerating is also free, cause its on battery. driving in traffic is free etc etc etc. so imagine if i added those features to your existing car, it means free driving without petrol for a certain time. then imagine if i made your current car use only 4.4 litres per kilometre instead of 8, or 10 or 12 litres per kilometre etc. you cant lose with this techology.

the videos show wwhere over 30 different car manufacturers are now using this technology, why, it works.
by the way, every taxi driver i have spoken to about hybrid loves them, so that stuff u said mike i find very hard to fathom. the cars are quiet, the cars are cheaper to run, much cheaper, the warranyty on the new model is 8 yrs for the battery, and the extended 220,000 klms or 5 years. its a winner. nothing can be said to knock those figures, nothing.
the cars are beautiful to drive n quiet, they are the latest 2012 builds with the latest stuff. if u look at the build quality of the latest stuff, whether it be prius V seven seater, or the entire camry range, just beautiful cars. ya cant knock progress unless u want to live in the past.

it wont be long before holden and ford etc follow suit. they are already working on the next ford falcon and commodore with the same technology.
why, because this technology saves money and is the latest. it will be mainstream sooner or later, and if you speak to ford, holden etc, their media dept say they are working on the next generation of hybrid vehicles. they all want a slice of the pie.

the prius 7 seater is perfect for my wife n the kids for her family car. its cheap to run. cheap to own with fixed price servicing. its cheap to lease at 3 percent, it wioll save me a good 60 a week in fuel costs, how can that be a bad thing, and because its toyota its safe n reliable.

driving one and listening to my mate, the toyota engineer, not a salesperson has convinced me its the latest n greatest technology. i cant argue with the facts. they are great vehicles. thats my opinion, and i reckon i am spot on.  who wants to drive a gas gussler when you dont have to.

what other car has a speedo with heads up display built into the windscreen.its ultra modern. i think its a terrific batch of vehicles, prius or camry etc.
anyway, i like it, and that belief doesnt harm anyone else. etc.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:13:11 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
"extra kilometres for free, thats right, free, cause travel on battery is free. and as we all know, strting off, and getting up to speed in a petrol car is where all the fuel is burned. de-accelerating is also free, cause its on battery. driving in traffic is free etc etc etc. so imagine if i added those features to your existing car, it means free driving without petrol"

Sorry - nothing is free - you need energy to make the power, that comes from petrol in the case of this car.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
"extra kilometres for free, thats right, free, cause travel on battery is free. and as we all know, strting off, and getting up to speed in a petrol car is where all the fuel is burned. de-accelerating is also free, cause its on battery. driving in traffic is free etc etc etc. so imagine if i added those features to your existing car, it means free driving without petrol"

Sorry - nothing is free - you need energy to make the power, that comes from petrol in the case of this car.

+1 . Sorry Brett but you can't cheat the laws of Physics.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
The only point in the scenario where the car " recycles" energy is during the deceleration... fuel is still being spent at this point and because it is largely unnecessary and only happening to prevent the engine stalling.... the energy from this is used as a short charge to the battery, which is then spent moving the car forwards again up to 20klm ph... thats if you come to a dead stop, otherwise its fuel that drives you.

Figures of 4.4 ltrs fuel to 100klm is such a variable due to driving conditions. It would be better to quote its worst performance and its best ( 4.4) and then an average would be pretty much what you would experience.
In my ute, if i do 100klm at 100klm ph without speeding up or down, but a straight cruise my fuel efficiency leaps upwards... its the speed up from speed down that kills any figures.

I agree Brett.. it will save you $$ on fuel... how much it saves you over time against increased cost only time can tell

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
when the car is running on battery only, its not using petrol. thats free.

and since most petrol is used in any car getting up to speed, this is the magic of this car, it gets up to 50 kilometres per hour on battery all the time from the start. therefore no fuel is used getting up to speed. no fuel use to 50 klms per hour is free. you cant argue against that. its a fact.

c'mon guys. stop splitting hairs, its the most modern fuel efficient car on the planet. THATS A FACT !  why would any one not think this is agood idea.

4.4 litres per 100 is combined driving using the legal australian ADR rules.  4.4 litres per 100 for a seven seater family wagon. its not impressive, its world class leading.

u can bring up this or bring up that, but it doesnt change the facts. and its petrol saving we are talking about. I have to believe toyota. those japs are just too smart.lol
anyway, stop busting my balls and go out and buy one u green tree hugging pinball players.lol

ITS FOR THE WIFE for farks sake, i gotta get her off my back n shut her up with a new car.lol   u think i wanna buy her has gas gussling 4 wheel drive or some friggin people mover, it will cost me 3 times the petrol and alot more running costs. I need a efficient 7 seater. it has to be a toyota. nothing else is a petrol saver in 7 seater configuration. its the only one that doesnt suk juice like a hooker on a friday night.lol 

remember, every cent saved from anyones wife is A VERY GOOD THING ! LOL

see u in a few weeks. i am otta here for a while.  u guys can bag the shit out of it whilst i am away and i will come back and teach you old blokes some new tricks when i get back.lol

stay safe guys. have fun.  i have enjoyed the debate, there not enough good debates on here unless all us nutcases give it a go.

see ya guys. bye for now.   (I am off in my petrol gussling 6 cylinder BA ford wagon which goes like a rocket with a big wik up its arse.lol)  ^^^ ^^^

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:35:50 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
this reminds me of the south park episode on hybrid cars releasing "smug" not smog. its by far the funniest lol

heres a link of the makers talking about why they made it lol
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:11:46 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Mate... you need to watch your video again... the orange/ red circuit is the FUEL... green is battery.
Its battery only to just over 20klmph.. at which point the video stalls and then starts again.
Im not bagging it.. but i wont have it beefed up falsely either.

You sound like John Laws.... " with my good friends at Toyota"

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
If they make a car that runs on beer I'm in.....oh hang on, I will end up drinking all the fuel and the car will never get started.
 :D
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Mate... you need to watch your video again... the orange/ red circuit is the FUEL... green is battery.
Its battery only to just over 20klmph.. at which point the video stalls and then starts again.
Im not bagging it.. but i wont have it beefed up falsely either.

You sound like John Laws.... " with my good friends at Toyota"

see the additional post below gav for the electric motor differences.

yes for the john laws bit. i am a huge fan of toyota or mercedes benz.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:42:20 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
just spoke to toyota australia. the american version in the video is different to the australian model. the usa model has decided to use the older style nickle metal hydride batteries and they left the battery in the boot in the usa version, thus the electric motor performance is different.

the japaneese and australian release is the only cars to have the new lithium console mounted area battery and thus the speed whilst in electric is different and provides faster speeds. thats where the 20 klms per hour versus the aussie 50 klms per hour comes in.