Author Topic: Bally Star Trek - 3 or 4 Colours ?  (Read 342 times)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Bally Star Trek - 3 or 4 Colours ?
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
I am planning in the near future to do a cabinet repaint of my Bally Star Trek.  Attempting to get the original paint colours, I looked at a few places that have been covered for many years to get a sense of the original colours.

The blue has got me a bit puzzled.  Looking at the blue (which was under the coin door trim), I noticed that it was the same as the blue just outside of the door trim.  The orange-red took a serious beating.

But looking at another part of the cab (the paint colour under the transformer in the backbox) showed a very different (and much lighter blue).  So, were there actually 3 colours for this game (yellow, orange-red, and blue), or were there in fact 4 colours (yellow, orange-red, and two shades of blue)?  Did the backbox and main cabinet get painted with one blue, or two?  If there was only one shade of blue to begin with, then I am a bit mystified as to why the two areas of the cabinet look so different.

I will be using Anchor acrylic lacquer, and I have begun a respray of my Delta Queen and am very satisfied with this paint.  I just need to now find the exact matches for the Star Trek.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Bally Star Trek - 3 or 4 Colours ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »
Should be just the one shade of blue i would think  *%* (the blue under the coin door trim would be original colour)

I think you'll find that the blue inside the backbox would be the same, just not as much paint in there as on the outside.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:12:30 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:42:32 PM »
Should be just the one shade of blue i would think  *%* (the blue under the coin door trim would be original colour)

I think you'll find that the blue inside the backbox would be the same, just not as much paint in there as on the outside.

+1 .. It would only be 3 colours and under the coin door trim is your best colour guide
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »
Not sure if this is any help, from the pinballpal.com website

Bally Star Trek

Good matches for these colors are interior satin-finish (or eggshell finish) Glidden Evermore water-based latex:

Yellow: Sunny Side Up (37YY 61/877)
Blue: Cosmos (10BB 12/310)
Orange: Fiesta Orange (68YR 28/701)
(All in-house)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I can supply Pantone codes for this machine if you can wait till later in the week

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:01:06 AM »
Thanks guys for the responses, and thanks Gavin for the pantone codes.

Looking at the images on ipdb, I can't help but think that the blue is closer to the blue in the backbox image above, not the blue under the door trim.  That blue looks too dark IMHO.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:51:44 AM »
I dare say that Bally was not that fussy about keeping the colors consistant back when they wer made
one area may have sprayed the bodies, another the backboxes, close enough was good enough

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:22:10 AM »
On my machine the spraying on the backbox is extremely thin. The orange is so thin that it doesnt cover the yellow base and looks a completely different colour.

Ill check mine later today and give you some codes

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »
The three colors under the front door brackets are the factory colors - Blue, orange and yellow. I would use these as a guide. Take the cabinet to a paint store to match and it will as accurate as factory.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia