Author Topic: Insurance for your pinball collection  (Read 216 times)

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Insurance for your pinball collection
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
Hi all,

I'm about to move house and just got a new insurance policy. We nearly died when we saw our new premium ^.^ so we roughly worked out the value of our cover needed for replacement value of items to see if we had been over insuring.

Anyway, it got me thinking. There are plenty of pinball enthusiasts with some pretty sweet collections, so, I'm just wondering what AP members generally do about insuring their collections. Do you have it under a general home and contents policy or use a special insurer? Or - Do you have a policy just for pinballs (or another hobby item)?
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Insurance for your pinball collection
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:28 PM »
Bloody insurance.... public liability..... life insurance.... income protection..... car insurance....etc.... pins are the last to go on the list!... cant bloody afford it

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
I couldnt find a QLD insurer to touch me with a 40 ft pole cause too many machines etc and the insurers dont like coin op stuff located at a residential property etc.

Having said that, if its only a few machines, and the coin mechs were removed, RACQ was fine to insure them. Most companies will insure any machines under 6 x machines. Any more than that and they re-direct you to a commercial policy, and then the commercial policy people will not insure commercial machines in a residential environment.  Most insurers are more worried about fire loss of everything due to a pinny overheating versus theft cause machines are too big and too hard to steal.

It all depends on how many machines u want to insure.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
I just hope for the best that it doesn't burn down as for theft have a bloody great rottweiler and fort knox security on the shed

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Had a Drug raid over he on the news (Perth,and not my house),but in the list of recovered stolen property was a No fear pinball.

Misses got excited and said see, pinball do get stolen.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »
I include the value of the games in my general contents insurance - BUT - I make sure I have them listed, by title as a COLLECTION ( it doesnt cost an more )
DW Drums rule !

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »
Most companies will insure any machines under 6 x machines. Any more than that and they re-direct you to a commercial policy, and then the commercial policy people will not insure commercial machines in a residential environment.  Most insurers are more worried about fire loss of everything due to a pinny overheating versus theft cause machines are too big and too hard to steal.

I wasn't aware of this, but not really a problem I have, maybe one day  %$%.

I include the value of the games in my general contents insurance - BUT - I make sure I have them listed, by title as a COLLECTION ( it doesnt cost an more )

Good idea to list them individually.

Thanks guys.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Mr Tilt

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
Just updated my insurance policy with each title listed and price with GIO no problems