Author Topic: Williams Flash Restoration  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Williams Flash Restoration
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »

Playfield quick update.

Coming together very nicely. Very pleased with it. I'm off to finish off the Driver board and Power Supply.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
New flipper kits for the lower flippers (inc advanced EOS)

nino,how does this work,benefit etc.and where do i buy the parts for the "advanced EOS"

Sorry for the late reply - Greg's site was down, so I could not point you to the parts numbers.

Here is the Advanced EOS - which includes and EOS. Handy thing is that the standard EOS will be in the flipper rebuild kit, so you can save one of the pair for the upper flipper and use this complete set ;

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1245

The flipper kit is not currently on Greg's site - You might need to check with him.

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »
This is looking really nice. Great work Nino keep it up.  ^^^

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45:50 PM »
Forgive the pun but its Going to be Lightning Fast ,,,  Nice work  ^^^
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:49:43 PM by PinPal »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »

On the home stretch. MPU board from Ken is installed with the original Driver board and power supply boards which I have rebuilt. I've added the two fuses for the solenoids and lamp matrix. Displays and master display are working fine. I replaced some of the connectors and headers. The switch matrix connectors are always a pain, so I've repinned them as well.

I have had strange problems with the sound board which were due to the original boards not having the mods done with the 10k, 47K resistors and the bridge between pin 39 and 40 of the PIA. Seems to be much better now !

The backglass needs a little touch up work done. First I have to seal with with triple thick. It looks like the previous owner has attempted this is some sections. Here's the glass after triple thick.

The apron was a mess. So I have repainted it and installed an apron decal from pinball rescue. I gave the apron a clearcoat after applying the decal.

I had a few games on it today - and apart from minor adjustments, it works very well. Looks great as well !

Never ceases to amaze me. Flash plays more like a Bally of it's era, and not a Williams. Underrated game ! Nearly done   ^^^

Offline ausrhino

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »
Wow nice job. Love the neat wiring.  Looks great.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 09:31:58 PM »
The second last pic of the upper playfield all lit up looks like a new machine.The way this machine looks now to what it looked like a short time ago is amazing. Great work Nino this Flash will be muched loved in it's new home.
A lot of people bag the artwork and I can understand that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but looking at the playfield all shiney and new i'm really loving it fits the theme and the era well IMO.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 09:49:30 PM »
Great work as usual Nino, playfield looks sweet as!!  ^^^

Looking forward to seeing the backglass after you do the touchups, still it looks a LOT better already than my own Flash backglass which is pretty ordinary, and needs pretty extensive work.

Will get back onto my own Flash soon as i finish Pinball Pool (and soon as i find time to do it all.. too busy working on other people's games)  :D

Are new plastics available for Flash? the reds are faded in mine and i'd like to replace them if i can get them  *%*

Offline Operator68

• Forum Posts:
  • Traralgon Victoria
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »
That is an absolute credit to you, top job. Do you mind if I ask about the process for re-graining the coin door. It looks fantastic.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »
Very nice  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »
Great work as usual Nino, playfield looks sweet as!!  ^^^

Looking forward to seeing the backglass after you do the touchups, still it looks a LOT better already than my own Flash backglass which is pretty ordinary, and needs pretty extensive work.

Will get back onto my own Flash soon as i finish Pinball Pool (and soon as i find time to do it all.. too busy working on other people's games)  :D

Are new plastics available for Flash? the reds are faded in mine and i'd like to replace them if i can get them  *%*

The artwork on Flash is really eye catching. All the Flash machines I've restored have scrubbed up really well. I guess there is some luck involved, as I've seen some very tired and worn Flash games over the journey. They were VERY popular back in their heyday. Their only downside was reliability. A lot more work goes into Williams games as compared with Bally's of the same era. As far as I know there are no plastics, but given that there are still many Flash games in collections, I think CPR would be looking at a playfied / plastic / backglass combo. Can't go wrong with this game.

That is an absolute credit to you, top job. Do you mind if I ask about the process for re-graining the coin door. It looks fantastic.

The door has to be completely stripped and straightened (if it is bent). If it has a lot of scratches, I use 120 wet / dry sandpaper with Windex. The key is to be firm but the up / down sanding motion must be straight, or your new grain lines will be bent. After 120 wet / dry, I move to 180 wet / dry with windex. That's about it. Simply sand in straight lines and then rinse with water and dry. These doors were not "highly polished", they were grained from factory. It is easy to do doors and siderails in this manner.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 05:34:22 AM »
Curious how the CPU works with the RAM chip at IC13 missing? Is there some sort of Sys 6 mod I'm not aware of?

I have 2 waiting for me on the bench, so I'm curious.

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »
Machine really looks great Nino  ^^^

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 08:51:36 AM »
Curious how the CPU works with the RAM chip at IC13 missing? Is there some sort of Sys 6 mod I'm not aware of?

I have 2 waiting for me on the bench, so I'm curious.

You use a 6802 processor , remove  jumper J1 and install a 4.7K resistor at R4.
This enables the 6802's internal ram and you don't need the 6810 at ic13 anymore.

Offline Pinlinds

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »
Looks great, I've only seen these with blue posts. Did Williams release them with red posts as well or were these changed over the years?