Author Topic: 2 x NEW Additions .LOL  (Read 2568 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: 2 x NEW Additions .LOL
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:18 AM »
Dogs aren't born aggressive, they're taught aggression. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. Simple but true.

But if it's an aggressive breed isn't it "built in"? like a pitbull? I'm not saying Brett's are just asking.

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
there must be a bit of truth in the genetics passed down bit. i cant see how dogs can be much different to humans in the good or bad natured arena.

if the breed is a bit aggressive, and then u treat the dog poorly, you will get an extra 100 percent of aggression from the breed as opposed to treating the dog well and it being placid.  u dont see king charles cavs or poodles used as guard dogs etc but u do see dobermans and german sheps and pig dogs/pitbulls /staffys used for guard work or  hunting etc so i guess some breeds do have a bit more grunt than others.  but primarily even the most aggressive breads stay big puppy dogs for life if they are treated kindly from day one.  thats the hope of every dog owner i guess.lol    
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:13:30 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
A breed isn't aggressive nor is a dog born aggressive. Ever heard the term ban the deed not the breed ?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
You have to be very careful with kids though... they dont always understand that a dog can turn in an instant... ANY dog.

Had a Border Collie when my boy was small, then one day while my back was turned he put one finger up its nose.. dog turned and bit him on the face taking a chunk of skin out beside his eye... my son is scarred for life after this on the left eye.
It happened in a fraction of a second and was all over before i could even turn a round... thats a Border Collie.. would hate to see a Staffy turn

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
You have to be very careful with kids though... they dont always understand that a dog can turn in an instant... ANY dog.

Had a Border Collie when my boy was small, then one day while my back was turned he put one finger up its nose.. dog turned and bit him on the face taking a chunk of skin out beside his eye... my son is scarred for life after this on the left eye.
It happened in a fraction of a second and was all over before i could even turn a round... thats a Border Collie.. would hate to see a Staffy turn

Agreed, I will never forget when I was a little kid, our beloved Labrador taking a chunk out of my father's face in front of me (leading to a trip to hospital and reconstructive surgery) - we never understood why, they were playing as they had for years, and something upset the dog, and it bit its master.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »

Agreed, I will never forget when I was a little kid, our beloved Labrador taking a chunk out of my father's face in front of me (leading to a trip to hospital and reconstructive surgery) - we never understood why, they were playing as they had for years, and something upset the dog, and it bit its master.
that's why I don't put my face too close to my wife anymore.....she's getting a bit long in the tooth  %.%
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »

I don't think kids have a good understanding of the dangers of many things, not just dogs. Take the roads for example. Turn your back for a second and it can be all over. Comes back to responsibilities of the parents be it dogs, the roads or whatever. So many times the poor old dog cops the death sentence due to an owners ignorance or lack of supervision.

I'd have no hesitation letting any future kids i had around my Rottweilers, under supervision until a set age. My current and only Rotty is a different story and i don't let him near anyone without my supervision due to the fact he suffered severe bashing for his first 2 years thanks to his original owner.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:48 PM »
the 2 x staffs are now about 10 to 11 weeks old, and all they do all day is play together and basically playfight nonstop and lay in the sun occassionally.

BUT this afternoon, when the 3 yr old son (3 yrs in december) when he went in the backyard, both dogs attacked him and he had one ripping into his arm and one ripping into his back, and in a very aggressive way. I saw the whole thing before i ran out to save him. My son hadnt done anything at all and was walking from the trampoline when they went ballistic at him and ran accross the yard at him. I have to admit, if i hadnt have stopped them, they would have kept biting him and dragging him to the ground. I was amazed at the aggression. It didnt look like play either. It was very aggressive.

So, until my son gets bigger, i wont allow him with them anymore without my supervision/me being with him at all times, til he is big enough to smack them/get them off him. Even when i smacked them both hard, they wouldnt let go til i really belted them both very very hard, and even then they tried to attack again. I couldnt farkin believe it. It went bad very quickly. If i had one dog only, the aggression would be less cause each dog wouldnt be play fighting with each other all day, so i am now wondering if getting brother n sister dogs at the same time was a bad idea.  I

I am due at the vets this next week so i might get some advice, but the aggression they showed, the growling, the shaking of their heads today, and the continual aggressive attack they wouldnt give up on has me worried cause they bit him hard and drew blood in 3 or 4 places. They havent done it to an adult yet, so i can only imagine they would do it to him cause he is small.   Anyway, thought i would share it cause i think the mistake here is 2 x dogs and not 1. Stay tuned.

Always something friggin going pear shaped.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
Thats not good mate.. sounds like the dogs are beginning to make their status in the pecking order... small kids are always the first im afraid.. theyll do it again for sure

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 08:49:54 PM »
Thats not good mate.. sounds like the dogs are beginning to make their status in the pecking order... small kids are always the first im afraid.. theyll do it again for sure
+1 big time. Get rid of them, one or two makes no difference. I'm amazed they're still there and you said you won't let the kid near them until he's big enough to belt them. Are you planning on him be Conan or something seeing you had problems. Not good family dogs and cut your loses now, you got lucky mate.

If they decide you're not top dog anymore, they'll go you too

Good luck
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »
Yeh i will be monitoring things very very carefully.  The dogs have almost tripled in size over the past 3 weeks/month.

It was exactly the same behaviour I have seen when taking dogs pig hunting, once they latch on, they just wont let go and shake their heads side to side violently. I was completely shocked this afternoon because there were a few adults in the backyard and the dogs still had a big go with no notice or reason whatsoever...

Might contact a staffy dog website/forum and get some advice from a few experts. I am sure some will say that they can be trained properly, and some will say the opposite. Time to make some serious enquiries.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 10:41:46 PM »
F*ck me mate.. im going to be REALLY blunt here.
IF it happens again.. you will never forgive yourself.. theyve done it once - you can never trust these dogs anymore. Next time it happens it could be fatal - get rid of them.
BTW - no pound will take them now.. once theyve attacked a child they will never be allowed into a pound as statistics say that a dog will do it again.
Dont risk it Cavey.. piss em off pal

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »
F*ck me mate.. im going to be REALLY blunt here.
IF it happens again.. you will never forgive yourself.. theyve done it once - you can never trust these dogs anymore. Next time it happens it could be fatal - get rid of them.
BTW - no pound will take them now.. once theyve attacked a child they will never be allowed into a pound as statistics say that a dog will do it again.
Dont risk it Cavey.. piss em off pal

+1 .. easy decision I reckon .
Simply a case of what do you value more, your child or the dogs .?
 Get rid of em now before something worse happens .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »

So, until my son gets bigger, i wont allow him with them anymore without my supervision/me being with him at all times, til he is big enough to smack them/get them off him. Even when i smacked them both hard, they wouldnt let go til i really belted them both very very hard, and even then they tried to attack again. I couldnt farkin believe it. It went bad very quickly. If i had one dog only, the aggression would be less cause each dog wouldnt be play fighting with each other all day, so i am now wondering if getting brother n sister dogs at the same time was a bad idea.  I

Your son will *never* be big enough to defend against a two-pronged coordinated attack - most adult males would be hard pressed to win against two adult dogs with intent. There is no decision to make, other than whether to sell, give away or other humane action.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:18:03 PM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
I sincerely hope your son is OK after the attack and he is not scared of dogs.  Terrible news.

I am surprised that as a pup this has happened.  I understand they play fight amongst themselves (my 10week old pup does with the other two dogs all day) and when playing with toys with me or the wife sometimes he has accidentally nipped, but not bitten.  We've trained him out of this habit already.  Unfortunately if they are showing aggression at this early age its in their breed and not simply misbehaving.  I don't think having two would make any difference as far as the attack on your son.