Author Topic: GODZILLA - 1998 SEGA  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
GODZILLA - 1998 SEGA
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »
Godzilla - 1998 SEGA  Only 500 Made

The year was 1998 and Godzilla was the last SEGA model made that year, with Viper Night Drivin pinball also being one of the last titles to leave the Sega factory. I have included the I.P.D.B link below for Godzilla.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=godzilla&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

BACKGROUND.
Godzilla was a pinball design produced to represent the movie GODZILLA starring Matthew Broderick and French actor Jean Reno.
The movie was infact very well recieved and was very popular. It is not clearly understood why only 500 units were made, but clearly with the pinball economy in sharp decline, and Sega looking to close its production of pinball machines, one would assume that it was a combination of factors that allowed for such a short production run.

One of the first things you will notice about the GODZILLA Pinball, is the different shaped headbox and the bright green T-moulding used around the backbox edging. This shape headbox was also used on another small production run being Lost in Space Pinball, so one wonders if it was used to take advantage of unused cabinet stock left over from the other title. This headbox shape was also a departure from the Showcase Concave headbox design used on titles like Viper Night Drivin. Interestingly, the Showcase sticker or plaque still appears on the front of the unusual headbox design for GODZILLA so it was still dubbed a Showcase design even though it has a different style and shape of headbox.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS.
One of the first things you notice about GODZILLA is the striking artwork on the translite. The artwork is excellent and portrays the 300 meter Mutant Lizard running around New York whilst attacking Government forces incl Military Jets, Apache Helicopters, Police vehicles and the occassional Taxi.
The artwork is extremely detailed, which is a departure from previous/recent offerings from the Sega factory.

The playfield is also unique in that it incorporates alot of bright green colours incl see through green ramps which when lit by general illumination give off a bright green glow, representing the mutating chemicals which saw GODZILLA grow to over 300 meters tall. The playfield is well laid out, with 4 under playfield magnets giving many combinations of random ball travel, together with a shaker motor.

PLAYFIELD SHOTS.
On top of the playfield, there are 2 x sets of 3 fixed stand up targets, one each side of the playfield, 2 x individual combo targets, again one each side of the playfield, a set of 4 x fixed stand up TAXI targets in the middle of the playfield to hit, 2 x captive balls to hit, a spinner target, one x ramp shot which has no less than 3 x diverters hidden in the GODZILLA hand or the GODZILLA head, allowing the ball to return no less than 4 different ways incl the ball popping out of Godzilla's mouth. The ramps on GODZILLA are also unique in that the balls travels up n down along the ramp like a roller coaster and its a neat visual trick to watch.  There are also 3 super pop bumpers on the playfield, with 2 x seperate gate shots to shoot, and 3 different lanes to shoot the ball along. Overall, there is plenty to do on the playfield shot wise.

GAMEPLAY.
Gameplay is very fast. Four and Five ball Multiball can be achieved a number of ways, but is easiest achieved by hitting all the TAXI stand up targets 3 times. The menu settings allow for many changes to gameplay. One of the neat features of the game is to hit the right ramp 3 times so that the ball then diverts into GODZILLA'S head and comes out his mouth. There are diverter switchs in both the GODZILLA head and the GODZILLA hand, plus 2 x other diverters which are visible on top of the ramps. This makes for interesting gameplay because the diverters are random in nature and can return the ball to the playfield a number of ways.

Missions listed during gameplay are TAXI Multiball, HELICOPTER Multiball, BABY ZILLA Multiball, SONAR Multiball, GODZILLA Multiball,
SAVE NEW YORK Multiball and MULTI MULTIBALL which allows for multiple jackpots, higher scores allowing for free credits, and the return of lost balls during MULTI MULTIBALL to continue the 5 ball experience. During Multiball, the shaker motor comes into effect and increases the fun and excitement with so many balls flying around so fast, incl the use of the under playfield magnets. The game is fast paced and ALOT of fun.

AUDIO and DOT MATRIX.
If you have watched the GODZILLA movie, u will see what a great job they have done on the GODZILLA pinball machine. Many audio extracts are used on the pinball, incl a cheeky one liner used during the movie called "Size does Matter". One of the unique sounds used on the pinball is the use of a sonar ping, used by Submarines, and this ping noise is very unique and works well, as does the Helicopter noises, Police cars, Taxi's driving off, People screaming and running, Military Jets flying and last but not least, Godzilla himself running around the neighbourhood pissed off and wrecking everything he can.
The Dot matrix annimations are many and varied and are excellent on this title. Almost every facet of the movie is introduced on the dot matrix, and the graphics are quite exciting. Too many to list, but if u play the GODZILLA machine, you will enjoy the varied graphics, incl the end annimation where jets are shooting at GODZILLA and they miss him to reveal the match numbers you hope to get to have a free game. The shaker motor also kicks in and is timed with GODZILLA'S feet stomping which is a great effect.

OVERALL.
Overall a really fun and good looking game. Gameplay is very fast, plenty to shoot for, and multiball is not too difficult to get which allows for a very fast paced multiball game. The use of green ramps on this machine make the green visual effects unique and make the game different to most DMD games of the 1990's. Playfield toys being the GODZILLA head or GODZILLA hand crushing buildings are oversized on this playfield which shows no expense was spared on this title\s playfield. Cabinet art is the only area that could have been improved but it is the iconic GODZILLA eye looking thru a window close up, giving u a feel as to how huge the GODZILLA monster Lizard really is.

I have had my GODZILLA for a few years now and still enjoy every game. Although there were only 500 made worldwide, there are probably between 6 and 12 units in Australia from what I can tell. Prices range from between $3,000 and $4,500 depending on condition and the amount a collector places on the title. GODZILLA is a fun and entertaining game, if you get the chance to play one, I think you will enjoy it alot.  ^^^
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:53:30 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: GODZILLA - 1998 SEGA
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »

This is a Sega I haven't played but have heard good things about. Thanks for the review.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
Love your reviews and overall passion for pinball. Would love to check out your collection one day.

May have to disagree with you on the popularity of the movie though. Was one of the biggest flops of the 90s. Haha

I've been watching Oscar's X-Files machine on eBay and it's another Sega game I wouldn't mind playing. I owned Space Jam (my firsy Sega machine) and moved it on. Great all round machine, but unfortunately wasn't a keeper.

Look forward to reading more of your reviews!

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »
I think the movie was popular with kids, but not so great for adults. I looked it up on wikipedia and it cost 130 million to make, took apx $140 million in domestic USA sales, then sold apx $245 million of sales internationally. It made money and was a success in that department, but a giant Lizard running around New York and a remake of the 1954 original was always going to be a little bit of a stretch for adults.lol

The pinny stays faithful to the 1998 movie so in that department, Sega did a really great job. X-Files as u mention, is a great pinball machine. I will do a review of that one as well since I am very familiar with all Sega titles.

One thing I have found out, after going on a few Japaneese arcade sites, is that the GODZILLA Pinball Machine is extremely popular over in Japan and is a collectors item that no-one lets go from their collections apparerntly. You dont see them come up for sale much in the USA either, given only 500 were made.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »
I've been to Japan around 6 times and recently saw they had a pinball museum in Tokyo...I think I've found a reason to go back. Also noticed that any Japanese machine brought into the country is always in excellent condition.

Look forward to the X-Files review. I have a huge list of machines I want, the problem is making the money fast enough to buy them all. With AC/DC Pro coming next month and still want a South Park machine, the prospect of buying another machine this year is probably out of my reach...